Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So much time just hanging around, I started thinking about the really good Broadway musicals, some made into good movies, Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, Grease, Cats, Phantom of the Opera..even 7 Brides for &7 Brothers.
I was lucky, and old enough, to see these on Broadway. Anyone else ???

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah, my wife and I saw a number of plays on Broadway and in Philly. Last one was just earlier this year before all hell broke loose, we saw Phantom of the Opera with front-row seats.

Reactions: 686 AR15 G17Fan

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Les Miserables
Cats
Starlight Express
Miss Saigon
Phantom of the Opera
Lion King
Buddy

Didn’t see them on Broadway, but in the theatre district in London.

I liked The Lion Ling the most. Amazing costumes.

The coolest was Starlight........, a railroad story on roller skates.

Buddy was the Buddy Holly story..... dancing in the aisles, the most lively and active.

·
18,980 Posts
Never been to a show on Broadway. I’ve seen some great full road casts and road casts where then principles were from Broadway and minor players were local. I love live theatre.
Me, too. Never been to NYC but have seen shows on the West coast with the full road casts. Last show I saw was Phantom of the opera and the stagecraft was incredible and I doubt the full cazst shows would be any better on "Broadway".

If I ever went to New York I'd actually be more interested in seeing the art museums than Broadway shows although I would have really liked seeing West Side Story back in the day.

·
Registered
715 Posts
We went to New York with friends and saw Hairspray, which was good. We had seen it in Baltimore with the touring cast and thought that was the better of the two shows. We did go see Springsteen on Broadway back in October. Great show if you're a Springsteen fan.

My favorite live play was Spamalot. It was hilarious, actually better than Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Dear Evan Hansen, Beautiful, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Swing and some off Broadway shows I can’t remember now.

Broadway productions are amazing: world class talent and sets, head and shoulders above the touring companies. I’ve seen two shows in the West End and the talent there was also top notch but it’s a long flight getting there.

I hope Broadway bounces back.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I've seen exactly one off Broadway show in the last 30 years, The Grand Hotel. Music by Tommy Tune.

My wife got tickets and I agreed to go.

Other than spending time with my wife, it was 2 hours of life I'll never recover. She didn't care too much for it either. "Rave Reviews "!!! Ffffftttt.

Since then, whenever there's something totally pretentious, inane, and useless, I start singing the title song, "The Graaaaand Hotel " and she immediately knows what I'm meaning.

We like stage musical performances, orchestra, comedies, but guess we're not showtune folks.

·
NRA Life Member
66,481 Posts
I can't imagine ever wanting to see something like that. If my job offered to pay me the same for going to Broadway shows as I make for working in my office, I'd rather go to the office.

Reactions: 61176

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Never seen anything on broadway but have seen many many plays. Everything from Cat On A Hot Tin Roof at Montgomery Playhouse (where Goldie Hawn performed early on), David Doyle in a one man performance of Harvey in Chicago, and recently a couple years ago The Lion King in downtown Hollywood where the walk of fame is (even sprang for the 40 bucks or whatever it was for a cast signed poster).

All time favorite by far was A Chorus Line at The National Theater in DC
c. 1980. The songs were absolutely amazing. I actually wore out a cassette tape of the original Broadway cast.

I like the big theaters but am especially fond of the smaller local ones. Fell in love with them when I spent a year as a cook at a dinner theater when I was 16.

lion king.jpg

Reactions: Rotn1

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I arrived a couple of days early for my flight from McGuire AFB to Vietnam in December 1966. A couple of other guys and I went into NYC for a last night out. I didn't know anything about Broadway plays or off-Broadway plays; but one of the guys wanted to go see an off-Broadway play called Hogan's Goat. I don't remember much about the play; but afterwards, we walked down the street to a smallish bar for a drink. Shortly after we got there, a few or the cast members of the play came in for drinks. We stood out; because we were in uniform. This was before all the anti-war stuff started; so it was easy to strike up conversations with them. I ended up spending a lot of time talking to a fairly nice looking young lady that had a part in the play. Turned out that her father was a career military guy; so we found some common ground there. After about an hour or so, the theater group left for another party somewhere...we were not invited.

I never thought much about the encounter, one way or the other; but I did remember the young lady's name. It didn't mean anything to me until a couple of years later. Since then, I have always been willing to tell anyone who will listen about the night I had drinks with Faye Dunaway.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I work for the state theatre of Virginia and one of the last year round full time theaters left. We were the first to do Mamma Mia Off Broadway and we did it two years in a row. I saw it 8 times. Les Miserables was my second favorite that we have ever done. Our productions are as good as they get and our acting crew is recruited from NYC. I can’t even list all the shows I have seen over the last 8 years. Can’t wait till we’re open again. If any of you guys are ever in Abingdon, Va drop me a message and I will see about getting you a few tickets.

·
Registered
13,939 Posts
I've only been to two Broadway shows in NYC.
The singing, acting, is amazing. Beautiful was especially amazing, since I am of the age to remember many of Carole Kings songs she both wrote and performed. The actress who played her part was astounding. the sets were incredible as well. Very glad I went.

·
Firm member
30,245 Posts
My parents were patrons of the NYC arts and I have fond memories of seeing the first runs of, Side By Side By Sondheim, Dancin', A Chorus Line, Equus, Man Of La Mancha, Follies, Deathtrap, Glengary Glen Ross, Hair, Godspell, Vanities, Grease, Nine, Jesus Christ Superstar, on and on. My favorite will still be Streetcar with Treat Williams and Sigourney Weaver and Agamemnon with Richard Harris. HH

1 - 20 of 25 Posts