Rem. 870 Express Field Shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by G23Gen4.40, Apr 8, 2012.

1. G23Gen4.40

G23Gen4.40 .40 Rocks

I am considering getting a Rem. 870 Express Field Shotgun to try my hand at hunting with. My question is, The info I have read on the Rem. 870 says that it has a Rem. Modified choke, is it possible to change the chokes on these guns?

My only experience is with the 870 police magnums with the Imp. Cylinder Choke and it can not be changed.

2. pennlineman

pennlineman

If the gun has Rem chokes the tubes can be changed out to what ever choke tube you want. If not it is like the police guns you are familer with. It is easy enough to tell, the choke tubes are slotted where the choke wrench fits.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

3. fiasconva

fiasconva Standing my ground...

You can change the chokes to about a dozen or so choices. You can find the Rem chokes in just about any of the stores like BassPro or Dick's. They usually run about $20 each and are cheaper there than from the factory.

4. bernie herd

bernie herd

If you have a Cabela's near by, they offer their own exclusive 870 Express model that comes with a black synthetic stock, 28 in. barrel, 3 choke tubes, green fiber optic front sight/bead, and the Remington "Supercell" pad for 299$. They also have the wood stock (laminated like wood)model, but the recoil pad is no good-very hard. I have the first one listed and it is a very good buy. They do have a plastic trigger guard, unlike the aluminum one on the Wingmaster, but it is very durable. I don't know if you could break it.

5. method

method

Modified will likely work just fine for whatever you plan on hunting, unless you're planning on 40 yard+ turkey or waterfowl.

6. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

If the 870 you are looking at is an older model with a fixed choke, modified is a great all around compromise.

If you are looking at an 870 express though, i would be shocked if it is not already threaded for choke tubes for the rem choke system.

The express is a fairly new model (relatively speaking, maybe 20 years old by now) and i think after its inception, all but the tactical and police models have come with rem chokes.

If you purchase a gun with choke tubes, you have one gun that can pretty much do it all from skeet to upland hunting to turkey, geese, and other long range targets.

If i were going to buy a shotgun with a fixed choke that i wanted to attempt to use for all around purposes, i would get a modified choke.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. G23Gen4.40

G23Gen4.40 .40 Rocks

Thanks for the replies. I bought it today. It only came with the one Choke Tube, but it is removable so I can get others.

Thanks again.

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Congrats! Great gun. I have several of them and you will love it. :thumbsup:

9. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

I have a 12 ga with vented rib and rem-choke and added a rifled Deerslayer barrel and a scope mount that attaches to the receiver by the 2 pins that hold the trigger mechanism in.

Back in the day, I bought an extra Modified choke barrel for my 1960's vintage 16 ga that I had cut down, leaving me a straight cylinder 22" tube. Didn't work well for slugs, but that's now my go-to HD gun loaded with #1 buck.