close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

rem 710 problems?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by shaggy255, Jan 7, 2003.

1. shaggy255

shaggy255

i was reading one odf the threads and notice the dislike of the rem 710. i have one--no problems now , should i be expecting something. what ever the problem, its ok it will give me an excuse to get another deer gun. thanks:) :) :) :)

2. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Most folks don't like the el-cheapo bolt design and the fact that the barrel is pressed in. For just a few dollars more, you can get a 700, or a Savage and have better quality.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

the only problems you can expect is accuracy. the 710 will never be as capable as the 700.

4. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

The 710 is manufactured using some cost saving steps such as the already mentioned press-fit barrel.

This makes for a permanently installed barrel. The barrels of other rifles can be replaced with a new barrel when they wear. They are sometimes replaced just to change calibers.
    Of all the rifles I've owned I have never had a barrel replaced.

As for some of the other short-cuts taken by the factory, let me say this: If you ain't gonna be racing-you don't need to buy a race car.

If you don't plan to tinker with your rifle, if you don't plan to fire thousands of rounds through it, if you don't plan to use it in competition, then you shouldn't have any problems with your 710.

It actually makes since to make a cheaper rifle for the guys that don't shoot all that much. I just thought they would be a lot cheaper.
    It is true that for the same money you can buy a good used rifle of "better" quality. Or for a few bucks more, a high quality new rifle.

If yours is a good shooter , I wouldn't let anyone change my mind about it. The venison won't taste any different.

5. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

"If yours is a good shooter , I wouldn't let anyone change my mind about it. The venison won't taste any different."

I agree...just wouldn't want one, as I do shoot a lot at small targets at long distances. Hey, if deer hunting were all that difficult, 7-yr-old girls with SKS's wouldn't be killing them on a regular basis.