Relocating to Columbia, SC, need some opinions

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by BrazosCoTX, Apr 23, 2016.

1. BrazosCoTX

BrazosCoTX

In a few years, my wife and I will be retiring to Columbia, SC. Recently, we went there to "recon" properties, particularly lots to build on. We looked at a development in north Columbia called Lake Carolina, up I-77 a little ways. We thought it was pretty nice, particularly one neighborhood. A friend who lives a few miles away is trying to warn us off from building there, but I can't really figure out why. We looked at a number of locations with an agent, who made a good impression on us. Still, I'm curious as to why our friend was not supportive of the Lake Carolina area, other than it was not as "swanky" as his neighborhood.

Anybody have any opinions on the Columbia, SC area, and on the Lake Carolina area in particular?

Thanks, and Semper Fi.

2. pate3420

pate3420

Lived in and around cola for a while. I would recommend Lexington as it has good access to the city but a more small town feel. Lake Murray property is outrageous but man I'd love to live on that lake! Good luck finding a place, I have one friend and one acquaintance that are realtors if you need some contacts send me a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDLibertarian likes this.

3. Mark Smeaton

Mark Smeaton

In college, I had planned to attend Seminary in Columbia. I wasn't the six weeks of intro to Classical Greek that scared me away; it was the scorpions and giant cockroaches that did.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I hope you like boiled peanuts:dancing:

rfd339 likes this.
  5. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

I would second both Lexington and Lake Murray as I have family located in both areas and spent a summer at Lake Murray where I stayed with a great uncle at his home there when I was 11 yo and had a blast.

6. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

Why would anyone want to retire to Columbia of all places?

rfd339 likes this.
  7. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

North of Columbia you have Blythwood which is not a bad area, then you can go east of the city on I-20 towards Eden in that area. Whatever you decide on research the area an make sure you're not locating in a flood zone.

8. c.helm

c.helm

Any new developments? I'm further east of Lake Carolina in the Elgin area and personally would never live in any sub-division. It gets really busy in all that area at "rush hour" especially during school months.
    A good reason to live in the area is that Palmetto State Armory is very close and they love taking my $$.

9. robertray

robertray

Lexington and Gilbert are nice. It depends on if you want to live closer to the city/town or not. Lots of property out here in the "country" of Lexington and Gilbert. ...And, you can shoot on your own land being out of the city limits.

10. BrazosCoTX

BrazosCoTX

Update... bought a lot at Lake Carolina, near Blythewood. Not on the water, but close enough.

Why retire in Columbia? Wife & I are Gamecocks. Interstates make it easy to travel, nice amenities, military friendly area (I'm retired USMC), have family in NC and GA, cost of living less expensive than Raleigh area, ocean to the SE, mountains to the NW. Gun friendly state. Taxes aren't too bad. Overall, a very nice place to live.

sixgun2, kaisooba and pate3420 like this.
  11. c.helm

c.helm

Welcome home! You are in a nice area with lots of things in the area.

12. Magicmanmb

Magicmanmb RIP BUDDY

Run to NC or GA taxes & insurance tend to be cheaper & anyplace that has an HOA avoid like the plague. I know of a few where board members have nothing better to do than measure the grass height.