Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am working up a 9mm load with MB 125gr LRN, and Winchester 231 powder. I had to work the OAL down to 1.125" to allow the round to drop in and fall out freely on a Storm Lake G19 barrel (1.145" is the OAL for my PD FMJ load) Decided to start with 4.4 gr of powder as a starting point. I figured I should be getting a little above the mid-range load. The reloads look funny because the bullet design incorporates a much less aggressive nose shape (less pointy), but It worked fine at the range nonetheless.

By chance, I tried to insert a round into the dirty barrel right before I cleaned the gun, and it was sticking a little bit. I had shot 30 MB LRN rounds, and 20 PD FMJ rounds. The barrel looks dirty for sure, but is this sticking normal? I think it will probably effect the cycling if I shoot a couple hundred rounds in a range session.

I will tune down the load to see if it reduces the problem. Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
365 Posts
is it sticking on the bullet or the brass ????? my guess is a little leading in the barrel ,try it again with a .025 shorter OAL round

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
use a sharpie and blacken the bullet and the area think it might be sticking. put it in the chamber and take it back out and take a look for areas where it rubbed the color off

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I shortened the OAL to 1.1", and the reloads are still sticking a little bit in dirty chamber of my Storm Lake G19 barrel. Of the 40 rounds I shot today, I had 1 jam. The slide failed to return to battery, by about 1/8" on round #22. Took a bit of finess to clear it, and no other problems were encountered.

I also had some other reloads with Berry's 124gr and PD 124gr bullets, so I tested them for fitting in the dirty chamber. No sticking. So I am pretty sure the problem is with the MBC bullet design, which probably also caused the jam. I will try it in other 9mm's.

Has anyone else had this experience? I know a lot of you use MBC. I will do the Sharpie test tonight.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I've seen the MSB and its a lot rounder at the front than most bullets. using the dirty barrel, make a test round with no primer and powder and then seat it deeper little by little till it drops out by itself. then measure the length.

you might try a little faster powder also. 231 seems to work for mid range and max loads better and the combo it leaving too much residue.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
do you have to be in a special club to know what MB or MSB stands for?
I'm not in the club, but would like to join.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey G19, MB or MBC stands for Missouri Bullet Company, "MSB" in Wash-ar15's post means MBC's Small Ball bullets, for which I am trying figure out a good load. You are in the club now, welcome :)

I lowered the powder charge to 4.0 gr (win231), and shorten the OAL to 1.09. I made a batch of 50 rounds, most of which were rapid fired. No problems... They all landed in a 5'X5' area on the snow bank at 25 yards. They feel a little light, have to check the velocity when I get my chronometer back from Shooting Chrono.

Here is another caveat though... I made 150 rounds after the successful test session. I usually do spot checks with a Dillon case gauge during production runs, and a couple of them failed to seat all the way. So I check all 150, and 11 failed. Measuring the fails with my calibers didn't yield any useful information. However, I did notice there was a little bit excessive lubing on the bullets. After I hand cleaned/polished the bullets with a rag, they all passed the case gauge test.

Needless to say, I am getting a little frustrated with these bullets. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a picture of the 3 reloads I have. Missouri Bullet Company 125gr small ball, Berry's 124gr plated, and Precision Delta 124gr FMJ. As you can see, the MBC bullet is very straight, the nose does not start to form well after the length of the casing. And when the chamber is dirty, the sides of the bullet stick in the barrel. I also have to scrub the crap out of them to get them pass case gauge test. Even a tiny amount of lube will cause them to hang in the gauge.

I want to seat the MBC bullet deeper in the casing. I am at 1.09", and I think I will need to go down another 30 mils to get to the nose. Have to tone down the powder of course, maybe 3gr of Win231 will be a good starting point. I am at 4.1 right now. Any thoughts or advice?

·
Jacks #1 Fan
6,210 Posts
I am working up a 9mm load with MB 125gr LRN, and Winchester 231 powder. I had to work the OAL down to 1.125" to allow the round to drop in and fall out freely on a Storm Lake G19 barrel (1.145" is the OAL for my PD FMJ load) Decided to start with 4.4 gr of powder as a starting point. I figured I should be getting a little above the mid-range load. The reloads look funny because the bullet design incorporates a much less aggressive nose shape (less pointy), but It worked fine at the range nonetheless.

By chance, I tried to insert a round into the dirty barrel right before I cleaned the gun, and it was sticking a little bit. I had shot 30 MB LRN rounds, and 20 PD FMJ rounds. The barrel looks dirty for sure, but is this sticking normal? I think it will probably effect the cycling if I shoot a couple hundred rounds in a range session.

I will tune down the load to see if it reduces the problem. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Just offhand, I ask what PF are you running with that load? If anything I would think increasing the charge for a cleaner burn would be the direction I would go.

I had been loading a Bear creek moly 125g with WST at 4.8g with a OAL of 1.120 for my Spartan... burned very clean with great accuracy. No chron data yet though.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I want to run these at 1050ft/sec, so a PF of 131. I cranked the OAL to 1.045, and they seem to be dropping in/out of the barrel ok. I haven't cleaned the gun since the last range trip. So good sign. I hand-cycled a few duds, and they worked ok. I am concerned with unreliable feeding with short rounds. I loaded 15 shots with 3gr of Win231. Hope to make it to the range in a day or two.

Got my F-1 back from Shooting Chrono just today, so I can check for velocity on these short loads. I have to say I am surprisingly impressed by Shooting Chrono's customer service, despite a lot of negative comments about their products. I got it fixed under warranty (3-year), and turn around time was 10 days from the day I shipped it to them. The problem they found was a loose resistor on the PCB, and they replaced the whole board. There was a nice little note detailing the work they did. Not bad at all. Let's just hope it will keep working for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts