close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reloads OK in a Glock 30?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TheTam, Jan 14, 2004.

1. TheTam

TheTam

I seem to remember the reloads problem being limited to the G22 and it's compact version due to the unsupported .40 S&W barrel. Does the G30 have that problem? I've got my eye on some Lancer custom reloads (once-fired brass, match grade remanufactured--whatever that means.)

Would those be OK? I don't want my hand blown off.

2. Guest

My boss carries a 30, and shoots his reloads in it quite often, with the stock barrel. Jacketed bullets, of course. If you trust the source of the reloads, it shouldn't be an issue.

IMO the G22 'problem' is a bit over rated.

Just my 0.02 as someone who managed to crack the chamber on his G22 with an early, out of spec reload. I have sent a few thousand reloads downrange since then with nary a problem. Same thing can happen to any other pistol/caliber combo if you try hard enough!

Steve

3. plumbum

plumbum

i currently shoot ranier ballistics jhp, reloads. thier totally fine.

just make sure their jacketed.....

4. DOC44

DOC44

30 has an unsupported chamber.

Have made it a practice to only shoot reloads that I reload. I am sure there are a lot of good commercial reloads out there; just a personal rule try to LIVE by.

Doc

5. j_ratliffe

j_ratliffe

i only shoot reloads through my G30. and they are only ones that i reload. i wouldn't buy or shoot anyone elses reloads. be careful with that stuff, you might be sorry. wal-mart winchester white box 45acp is probably your best bet.

6. Guest

No, the 30 has a chamber that is not fully supported, like all Glocks do. This is how the horror stories start ;Q

If it had an unsupported chamber, as you assert, the bloody thing wouldn't work!

Steve

7. DOC44

DOC44

Steve,

Is there a difference in the "40 unsupported chamber" that Tam asked about and the chamber of the 30? Guess I have heard the terms "not fully supported" and "nonsupported" used as synomyms.

Doc

8. Guest

Hi Doc,

Well, all Glock chambers have a bit of 'slop', for lack of a better term at the 6:00 position, in order to ensure feding of different types of bullets. In most cases, it isn't a problem, but the 40 is a very high pressure round, so IF something is gonna go, it will go right there (see attached pic). This is the barrel from my G22 after my wife shot it with the reload I mentioned above. She was OK. Gun was too, after 130.00 of work (new barrel, mag & slide release & some other minor parts).

It is kinda like 'clip' & 'magazine' - both have come to mean the same thing, but there are differences. Sometimes it is easier to sy unsupported, but in practice, it it is not fully supported. Splitting hairs, maybe. Anal, probably ;f

Steve

9. Guest

One more pic. I guess that technically, this wasn't an actual kB, but you can tell where the chamber walls are cracked. Like that on both sides.

Steve

10. DOC44

DOC44

WOW!!

Your wife shot it???? Y'all still married???

Had 10mm glock blowup beside me at the range a couple of years ago. He had gotten a real "deal" on some reloads at a gun show. Blew the mag (clip) out and burned his hand. Took it apart, knocked out the brass, inspected it, loaded up some factory ammo and kept shooting. I moved over to the rifle range to shoot. Found a few major pieces of a High Point at the range one day ........and some blood....These things do happen. When I first started reloading I unknowingly double charged a 45 with 10.4 gr of Bullseye under 230 gr fmj. Touched it off in an old P90DC. Heck of a load. Gun held together and cycled. Learned my lesson, when loading and the phone rings I let some else answer it or let it ring until I clear the press.

Doc