Reloads jam gun

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by yellolab, Jan 27, 2013.

1. yellolab

yellolab

Fairly new to reloading, but need some help. Load is 9mm, 4.5grn w231. OAL Is 1.14 using 115 rn rainier plated bullet.

Fired some test rounds thru my rock 1911 9mm, and the first 5 rounds were fine , then the 6 round the slide did not go fully into position. I pushed it HARD into position, PULLED THE TRIGGER AND NOTHING. trying multiple times, no bang. Now the slide is locked, it maybe goes back 1/2 inch.
    Thinking it was a gun problem, I tried my SW MP. first 2 shots were fine, third shot went click, and the slide is locked tight.

Any thoughts on how to get guns open, and what is wrong with the loads?

Kevin

2. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

High primer, incorrect crimp??

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Loaded long? Jammed into the lands?

4. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Sizing problem or not enough flare removed . Did you taper crimp ? You are going to have to be very careful but you can usually place the slide of a soft wood brace and lean on it a bit while pulling back on the slide. They almost always clear .
    Assuming you still have some of the rounds left do you have a set of calipers available to measure the OD of the brass ?

5. ColoCG

ColoCG

^^^This^^^

Your going to have to force the slide open. This can sometimes be acomplished by placing the front edge of the slide, not the barrel on a wooden bench and forceing the grip down. You may have to smack the grip with your other hand.

If your load won't work in one gun, it is best to try to solve the problem before loading it in another one.

6. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Lesson learned ensure your COAL is correct and you have the proper taper crimp!!! Second lesson learn when it doesn't go into battery-NEVER FORCE the round into the chamber! Your lucky it didn't fire cause you might of had a Kaboom!:steamed: You got off easy!:whistling:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Crimp or OAL.

Put some gloves on. Grab the slide hard. Smack your other hand into the grip as hard as you can as grab the gun grip. Safe direction for the muzzle of course.

Never ever force anything reloading related.

8. RustyFN

RustyFN

Yep been there done that. Pushing the slide against a wooden bench works great. I also agree it sounds like they are too long.

9. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Buy and USE a proper case gauge.

Then, do a proper 'kerplunk' test with your rounds and chamber.

Remove the barrel from the weapon and drop your loaded rounds into the chamber. The base should be even with the barrel hood. The primer should be recessed into the case. The most important part of the test is to rotate the cartridge and ensure that it is rotating on the case mouth only! The bullet should not be touching the rifling. Also, there shouldn't be any drag caused by a poor taper crimp. The round will be loose in the chamber.

If the case mouth is hitting the ridge in the chamber, there is almost no possibility that the base will protrude past the barrel hood. The brass just won't grow that much. Nevertheless, that's one measurement that is best done with a case gauge.

Richard

10. SARDG

1.14 is well within SAAMI specs and would (normally) work in a Glock. Get rid of that blued sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock. :)

11. MudFlap379

MudFlap379

I had a problem similar with some bullets I'd been casting. I'd been using Lee 200 grain LRNFP mold, which had been working great. Then I bought a 1911 with a match grade barrel, at the same time I'd bought Lone Wolf barrels for both my Glocks. The bullet profile was such that it was wedging the bullet into the rifling and not allowing the pistols to return to battery. On one, upon forcing the slide open, it actually pulled the bullet outta the case, spilling powder all into the pistol, and leaving the bullet in the barrel. What a pain.

Started using a LSWC, and never had any more problems.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  12. The Fed

The Fed

Can you do it outdoors and point the muzzle down towards the grass and wear hearing protection in case it goes off?

13. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Well, sure it will work! You can chamber a bowling ball in a Glock! :whistling:

Richard

14. SARDG

"New to reloading" and "plated bullet" don't often co-exist very well. I see the various problems here on GTR all the time, so IF the problem is your crimp, don't go back and over compensate and crimp into the plating of the bullet. Just straighten the flare. Right Fred?? :)

15. SARDG

Your presumed tolerances of Glock barrels has gotten even worse Richard. You used to claim a football. :tongueout:

16. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

When I first started loading pistol 99% of the time when my round would not chamber properly I was

[​IMG]

17. yellolab

yellolab

Got it figuring out. I did not have the resizing die low enough so I was only 3/4 length resizing!

Thanks guys

Kevin

PS Duh.

18. n2extrm

n2extrm

I believe the rock island is a series 80 pistol and I know the M&P has a drop safety or firing pin block. If they are not fully in battery they will likely not let the firing pin strike the primer. Check to see if they look like they were hit.

It sounds like you got them out, the bench trick works pretty well and if you are careful is relatively safe.

Drop testing the loaded rounds in the barrel as Richard said will save you a lot of grief.

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

That is a pretty basic adjustment. You need to step up your attention to detail by a lot.

20. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Memory fades, you know. But somehow I thought I said the football would clear the rifling and the bowling ball would fit the chamber. I could have got it wrong...

Richard