Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judging by the number of threads on reloading I think I have my answer. I was going to ask if it is OK and advisable to reload 45 acp for the 21SF. It is so hard to get ammo that I am getting interested in reloading my own and keeping some on hand. My father in law has an RCBS single stage press, I think all I need to do is get the 45-specific items to get going. Any hints, suggestions or cautions? I am a bit intimidated by reloading but have some friends that have offered to show me a thing of two. My head is spinning at present trying to figure out what to do first. Oh, I have a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" on hold at the library so I am thinking of starting there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
welcome fellow reloading newb :)

I read for months before dipping my toes in, I still haven't fired mine, but I have some reloaded 45 acp for my glock 21 sf sitting here.

If your being driven by ammo availability right now, the reloading scene is suffering similar circumstances. Reasonably price primers, bullets and powder is difficult at best. Do some looking around and see if you can find supplies before comitting yourself. And reading will never hurt.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey pcguy, thanks. Yah I know all aspects of the industry are suffering but I have always wanted to get into reloading. I am going to take my time and learn from some friends. I do a lot of bow shooting and arrow building so I enjoy this type of stuff...good hobby!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Always start at the minimum recommended powder charge. If you're having functionality problems (not enough power to cycle the slide), then go up in the powder charge using conservative increments.

For starters, use full metal jacket bullets. You can learn to deal with the nuisances of unjacketed lead at a later time.

For a starting powder, I'd recommend a medium speed powder that is easy to see in the case, such as Hodgdon Universal. It's a clean burning powder, and meters very consistently.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I shot 200 rounds of .45 acp this weekend through my new 21sf. Berry's 230 grain plated round nose bullets, Winchester large pistol primer, 5.1 grains of Winchester 231, OAL 1.250", Lee factory crimped lightly.

They cycled flawlessly during our steel shoot. I hit the target most of the time.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Oh, I have a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" on hold at the library so I am thinking of starting there.

For what it's worth, may I suggest that you buy a copy of 'ABC' as well as some copies of handloading magazines and at least a couple of the better loading manuals. I know it sounds like a lot of trouble and expense but you will go back to 'ABC' many times before you feel comfortable with what you're doing and running back and forth to the library could get real old, real quick.

The more you read, not just loading tables, the quicker you'll learn and feel comfortable with what you want to accomplish. The result is immediately noticeable... the first time you fire one of your reloads you'll have a smile on your face... not a grimace of fear.

Good luck it's a great hobby!
Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts