close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reloading???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Vitals, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Vitals

Vitals

So I have been wanting to get a reloading set up for a while now. I shoot a fair amount of trap, rifle range, and now I'm about to attempt to feed my new 10mm which comes at a high price tag. I am utterly clueless as to what it takes to reload. I've been told a good set up, powder and materials not included, should go for roughly $200. I have several questions....and pleas chime in with all input.

*How difficult is it to learn the process of reloading?
    *What are the risks associated with loading your own rounds, especially at first being inexperienced?
    *Is reloading something that I can easily do in my apartment?
    *How easy or difficult is it to reload ammunition to the level of factory loads?
    *What price range for an entire set up would I be looking at to get started?
    *Will I be able to use the same equipment for rifle and handgun ammunition? I know shotgun ammo needs different equipment.

All input is greatly appreciated and whatever questions you could answer will help me immensely

2. Smoker

Smoker

Not trying to be rude, go back & search the hundreds of threads that are already here on reloading, there is tons of good information here.

3. elijah58

elijah58

Here is a post I put up back in april on some costs of the 10mm loading:

Total for brass, powder, heads, primers was $160 or about .29 each next time since I have the brass they will drop to about $100 or .18 each. and new 10MM are $33.00 per 50 or .66 each or $363 for 550 new ammo. So total savings is about $203.00 Not too bad, thanks for asking I hadn't realized how much I was saving until I figured it up to post it here. Now it is even more beautiful.

Here is a link to that Post:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412263

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

We have a reloading forum here, with stickies on equipment and such.

You can get a decent single stage setup for $200, and then take over an hour or so to load 100 rounds. No thanks. Single stage setups are best for rifle (where your total output isn't high) or somebody with LOTS of time on their hands.

Most people who shoot alot of pistol want a progressive press. With a Dillon 550B, you can crank out 100 rounds in 10 minutes, once you've got some time/experience with the press (you will not get that type of output from the beginning). A progressive press setup like that will cost closer to $800 I'd imagine, but that's including press, scale, calipers, etc. etc.

I started with a 550 but have since moved on to a 650, which is a 550 on steroids (has a casefeeder, etc). Much better/faster. But I shoot ~15,000 rounds a year in practice and competitions, overkill for somebody just plinking on occasion.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

This identical query has been cross-posted on the Reloading forum

Richard