Reloading vs, Buy New.45acp

Discussion in 'The Big Dawgs Club' started by Logan.45, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Logan.45

Logan.45 G21 G36

Was wondering if anyone knows if it is more cost effective to reload .45 or buy new & what is the least expensive ammo available now. I used to reload awhile ago (dillion Press) .45 acp only of course. But is has been a while and i was looking for some brass the other day and couldnt find any online. I used to be able to buy 500 or 1000 rounds on ebay, cheap. Hodgden powder some primers and shoot as much as i wanted for around .15-20 cents per round.

Oh by the way I'm new here, shoot .45acp only.. Glock, enjoy a 1911 also.

2. Max1775

Max1775 Marine Infidel

Welcome, Logan! Reloading is going to be cheaper if you are already set up. Cheap ammo is non-existent nowadays, at least in my neck of the woods. Save your brass and get measuring...

3. jbremount

jbremount

Reloading and shooting lead bullets is going to be way cheaper than buying. I would recommend a Dillon 550b , you will eventually recoup the money back . Try your local shooting range for brass. The good thing about low pressure .45 guns is,....... the brass will last forever! I reload them until they split.

4. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Remind me never to shoot next to you.

5. Max1775

Max1775 Marine Infidel

Yes, I wouldn't recommend "reloading till they split". However, you can get quite a bit of use out of a casing.

6. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Reload all the way. If not for cost effectiveness now, for the fact that you'll always have more ammo than the next dude. If you cast and reload, you keep a stash of lead, primers, powder, and brass, no matter WHAT happens later in this country (civil war, terrorist attacks, foreign country attacks, etc.), you won't run out of ammo so quickly.

7. Logan.45

Logan.45 G21 G36

Thanks everyone, and to add to the question I moved from NW Ohio not to long ago to Georgia and the humidity is different, Ohio having none, very dry. I know moisture is a killer for powder and relaoding, how do you suggest I keep this under control, my bench is in my garage.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

The initial $$$ will pinch you, but in the long run it is the 'only way to go.' Don't be fooled that you will save a bundle per box. Not so. But, you will save a little bit, plus you tailor the loads the way YOU want them, and it is a lot of fun, and when factory ammogets even more scarce, buy an after market barrl if your shooting a Glock, and run cast bullets through that thing, and now you will save a bit more$$. (unless lead prices climb sky high as well).

Bottom line. Invest and do it. It is really the best way in the long run, and especially if you do shoot a great deal or are wanting to.

Good luck.

CanyonMan

9. Wildcat55

Wildcat55

I too am new to this site and thank you guys for the info. I am actually looking for 45 acp brass right now. I did a lot of research and think that lead bullets are the cheapest way to go. I will have to buy FMJ's too so that I can sell some rds to help pay for my shooting during the weekends.

10. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Just a little bit of advice. You don't have to take it, but at least consider it. Don't EVER sell your reloads.

11. Max1775

Max1775 Marine Infidel

:agree: Liability is an ugly word...