close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reloading the 9mm

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Zombie556, Mar 8, 2017.

1. es 350

es 350

I will make a video when weather warms up.
    Don't blame anyone for not believing with all the internet hero's these days.

Massad Ayoob along with others I'm sure have been able to shoot sub 1" groups from factory Glocks as well. With the right ammo all of my Glocks are capable of this level of accuracy.

No , the most accurate handgun will not immediately turn a novice into a master.
    On same token a master cannot shoot a gun/load combo better than what it is capable of.
    A master needs an accurate combo to become a master!

2. fredj338

fredj338

Top end guns & ammo allow the Master shooter to shave the tenths off to beat other master shooters. Yes he probably got there w/o the best gun & ammo. Hell, I can & have beat master shooters on any given day here & there on a stage or two, shooting my stock stuff. It doesn't make me a master shooter.

3. es 350

es 350

I don't think we are comparing Apple's to Apple's here .
    No disrespect to you or any "master" shooters.
    I'm talking gun/ammo capable of shooting small groups. Not timed competition .
    My point was it's impossible for ANY shooter to shoot 1" group's with a combination that is only capable of producing 4 " group's at any distance regardless of if its a handgun or rifle.

Most guns are capable of better accuracy than the majority of shooters.

To OP, 125gr/6 gr PP has given me VERY good accuracy in all 9mm's I have shot it in. ........ that's ALL I should have said forget the rest and sorry about the thread drift!

WeeWilly likes this.
  4. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

No disrespect to Mas, but I have RO'd him shooting factory Glocks. He is very good and very quick, but I never saw any 1" groups at 25 yards.

wp

5. njl

njl

There's a big difference between 'capable of 1" groups at 25yds' and producing them a match setting. I have no idea if he's capable of it. Just saying even if he is, I wouldn't expect that level of precision in a match where time is far more important than precision.

6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

competition is time based, Steel Challenge is straight time, a hit anywhere on a plate counts, IDPA is time plus a half second per each point down. USPSA and IPSC are points earned minus penalties divided by time to produce a value called the hit factor. Highest hit factor on any given stage takes %100 of the points, even if they didn't earn them. Again, anywhere in the 4"x8" A zone is good. So it's not precision like Bullseye, but it's uncommon to throw doubles either as most shots are between 3-15 yards.

[​IMG]

This is what action pistol is about.

7. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

IDK, I've had a lot of people try to convince me a hole in a target at 25 yards was really a double. :supergrin:

wp

WeeWilly likes this.
  8. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

I have seen that a couple of times. One time cost me a gun. That one we will leave at that.

9. njl

njl

Two bullets, one hole can happen, but that's more luck/random chance than group shooting ability. I've done that at matches, though not on 25yd targets, and had to argue. Put 5 in one hole, and I'll be impressed.

fredj338 likes this.
  10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I'm assuming if you are a very good shooter, and a good accurate stock gun, with the right ammo, and kneel and rest your arm on your knee, and shot enough 3 shot groups, that a 1" group is very possible at 25 yards.

Gets harder if you ask the guy to stand. Gets harder yet if you ask the guy to shoot 5. And would be darn near impossible if you ask the guy to shoot two 1" groups in a row :)

11. fredj338

fredj338

At 7yds, but not 25!

12. sciolist

sciolist

My avatar is a 27 yard metric. Maybe it doesn't count because it's hardcover...

13. fredj338

fredj338

I can, when all the shooting stars align, shoot sub 2" groups offhand @ 25yds with several guns. Never managed it on a IDPA target though. I think it is that aim small miss small thing.

14. sciolist

sciolist

Oh, lordy, I'm not claiming intentional responsibility for the avatar double. That was a lightning strike for sure. See first 3 photos below.

Fourth photo below is a 5 shot group from close to 20 yards offhand. I'll claim that one, but don't ask me to do it on demand. All rounds on dot at 20 yards would be a more typical outcome.

photo 1.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    IMG_0530a.jpg

15. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I witnessed a double at 40 yards with an Open Division 38 Super, would have never believed it otherwise.

16. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Your'e never going to see that in IDPA. It happens on a regular basis in USPSA.

17. fredj338

fredj338

OH I have had doubles at 25yds in IDPA but I didn't call it.
    Your implication is USPSA, spray & pray guys are more accurate than IDPA guys??? I think master level shooters in both can go toe to toe.:ack:

18. jonb32248

jonb32248

I am using the same powder and was at 5.3 but moving up next loads to 5.6. So move on your good.

19. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

No, a Master in IDPA is like a B class shooter in USPSA. You won't know for yourself unless you shoot USPSA. Do you?

20. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

IPDA "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" USPSA "Slow is just slow" But, as Vogel, says, only results count.