Reloading supply availability

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BSA70, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I need 1,000 Federal Large Pistol primers. Might have to go investigate reloading supplies today.

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Well, not all. But they are now on "Double Secret Probation" Unless you already know that they exist, then they can't be found.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Did you go to jojos mach sat? I almost did, but thought a practice day with a single friend at wegc would be wiser.:cheers:

4. fredj338

fredj338

There are primers available on line but you'll want more than 1k.
    I shoot every weekend it doesnt rain, min 200rds. This wo 't slow me down. I gave 1000 cci sp to a friend who is now short, date on the box is 11/10, so you can extrapolate how much I have by that date. When things settke down, start buying a few 1000 every couple months. You will be surprised how fast your supply grows. Keep them dated, rotate your oldest out, keep 1y reserve, always. These panic buys will never bother you.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  5. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

I got spoiled having a local shop in town that carries a decent supply of reloading equipment in stock I felt no need to stockpile.

Now I regret not having 10k primers and 40lbs of powder at home.

fredj338 likes this.
  6. fredj338

fredj338

I used to do that with a local shop but when I started competing & online ordering became the norm, I always have more than I need, but the need can change monthly.

Kentguy likes this.
  7. Bluescot

Bluescot

It seems like it's more about being prepared than hoarding.

Those that buy a little here and there call it preparedness and those that don't look ahead but only buy what is needed for today call it hoarding. In their minds it is hoarding because they need it now and you have an adequate supply for your needs.

The same approach could be applied to food and water and maybe even TP now!!!. If you had a 4-5 months supply of food your family likes to eat on hand these pandemic rushes to the grocery store and long lines could be avoided. There is a sense of security that comes from an adequate supply of food and of course.....ammo.

The problem with this approach it that it means spending your money on something that appears to not be usable/valuable right now so other purchases with more instant bling attached to them get our resources and $$.

A neighbor of mine was asking me about availability of .223 ammo and how his LGS was now out where in the past he would buy 1,000 round boxes. He was stone cold out of that caliber so I checked my supplies and loaded up 50 rounds for him. When I gave it to him he wanted to give me something back but it was not needed. Good guy with a young family and a 6 month old baby.

8. fredj338

fredj338

Not really. Hoarding is buying & saving just because. Prepared is buying & saving knowing you will need it. Semantics maybe but if you are buying ammo & dont even own a gun for that ammo, you might be hoarding.

9. ak103k

ak103k

Its all about being prepared and thinking ahead. If you dont, you end up in the panic crowd, which in reality, just drags us all down in the long run.

I really have no sympathy for those who dont plan ahead. As that old adage use to go..." A lack of planning on your part, doesnt constitute an emergency on mine". ;)

Kentguy and SARDG like this.
  10. gunowner1

gunowner1

Its funny how non reloaders think what some of us have on hand is a lot. Most of the guys shooting competition would blow through my meager supplies in a few months. I shoot a few hundred rounds a month because that's what I have time for right now. I used to shoot a few thousand rounds a month until the woman had woman issues. That and the fact that I prefer bass fishing over shooting has slowed my shooting down considerably. I could still shoot for a year without needing primers or powder if I went back to shooting more. Projectiles are my weak point in my supplies at this time.

11. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I've got 2K LRP's on the shelf, and I don't load any round that uses them. Just thought they'd be handy to have.

12. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

I have all the components for 9mm but due to the low cost of factory ball my die set has not been used in 13 years. Cost savings was not there for me to make 9mm. Now .45acp I make because it’s a good cost savings and I bought many 1000’s of once fired .45acp brass from the military way back when.
    So yesterday I start looking over my components because reloading during today’s situation is a good way to keep busy. And then I ran across a gallon ziplock bag full of cleaned and primed brass ready for powder and a unopened 500 count plated 200gr LSWC bullets. It was a happy moment for me.

fredj338 likes this.
  13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

You can reload any round for more than half of retail, and even much less if you cast your own bullets and have range brass.

Collo Rosso and fredj338 like this.
  14. fredj338

fredj338

Ha! Hoarder!:drunk:

Collo Rosso likes this.
  15. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah if work stops for me I am going to cast ever day for a couple hours & build up my bullet supply. I am still shooting every weekend, so having time to catch up on my "free" bullets would be great. I coated & sized 1000 today.

BigBull 301 and Taterhead like this.
  16. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

^^^ Which caster do you run?

17. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Good plan! I just finished painting a batch of 2k that I cast recently. Work has actually busier for me latley, but I have zero activities to shuttle kids to. I usually manage a little league team this time of year, but that's not happening.

I figure if I get another 5k done while it's cool, I won't get stuck having to cast bullets again in July like I did the past couple of years. Should be enough to get me to fall when it cools down.

Now, 7k bullets would only last sciolist until next month, but I don't shoot at his volume!

18. fredj338

fredj338

I have a Magma Caster & hand cast using 4-6cav molds. The 4-6cav molds are actually faster, but require more hand motions. The Magma is just pull the lever so you can sit & cast for hours with less fatigue. I can do about 900-1100 per hour hand casting at a good pace. With the Magma, 500-550 per hour but I can cast for 2hrs on it before I am bored. Hand casting is about an hours worth & I am done. I can PC 1000 in about 35min. Then sizing takes about 30min.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Taterhead likes this.
  19. njl

njl Crusty Member

10k primers? Those are rookie numbers.

I’m feeling a little bad that I didn’t buy more S&B SPP when Cabelas had them for cheap but I have enough that I’m not going to worry if they go out of stock everywhere for a while. On the bright side, it might open up some storage space.

20. fredj338

fredj338

10k reserve, means you aLways have 10k in the size you use most. For me that is a year of full speed shooting every week. If you shoot 20k a year, that is your reserve.