Reloading On A Budget/Cast Bullets?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CountryBoy66, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Yes, I have to watch my budget and shoot cast through the OEM barrel

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Yes, but I did buy a replacement barrel

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. No, I load jacketed or plated bullets

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. CountryBoy66

CountryBoy66

I'm a 1st-time-Glock-owner (30) and a seasoned bullet caster/reloader (40 years). I'm finding that, if kept to reasonable velocities, my 230 grain Lee RN bullets over 4.1 grains of Tite Group work well, are fairly accurate, and don't mess up the OEM barrel too much. I also am a regular cleaner, so I clean it after I shoot it. Found the Lee 200-grain TC SWC to also work well but not their H&G 68 copy...the punkin ball loads were just more accurate. As always, YMMV, so work up your own load-I won't be responsible for your results, use the usual cautions. This 230-grain-bullet load, according to the Lee manual, starts at 4.0 of Tite Group and ends at 4.8, so I'm staying cautious. (It's 5 days before Christmas as I type this and just in case, have asked Santa for replacement barrel, just in case :eyelashes:). Anyway, anyone else out there in a similar situation? I'm retired and jacketed (or plated, for that matter) are too expensive. I can cast bullets from free wheel weights,tumble-lube them and put together loads for pennies each that still make decent groups at my backyard range. Anyone else?

2. refugeepj

refugeepj

KKM, just because i can.
    lots of cast ordered for outdoor plinking.
    Matt Dardas has sent me a truckload by now, and more to come.
    just finished 10mm, next .40 cal, then into 9mm.
    might do some 45's this year, still plenty in cans and on the shelf.

3. dudel

dudel

If you get your lead for free, or have massive stocks of it already, casting makes sense. Call me cautious; but I use an aftermarket barrel for lead. Glock barrel works; but the alloy hardness and sizing have to be just so. I'm not willing to cast special boolits for the Glocks. You might look at powder coating instead of lube. It can be done cheaply and cleanly.

With the current price of alloy (Rotometals), I'm finding that plated Berry's (especially on sale) is close in cost. I also find that FMJs from Rocky Mountain Reloading (RMR) can be had for a very good price with free shipping. RMR blems are also a great deal.

I'm saving my stocks of lead for the next component shortage.

4. CountryBoy66

CountryBoy66

Would have an aftermarket barrel now if I could swing one, hence the request to my sons (Santas) for Christmas. Found a Lone Wolf (Dasan) barrel for $55 shipped; dropped several hints. :)
    So, for now, shoot/scrub/shoot/scrubscrubscrub...
    Found this G30 gen 3 at a local gun show, from a family estate sale table, new for $400 out the door, so I thought I'd give 'er a shot (pun intended).

gunowner1 likes this.
  5. papercidal

papercidal

I hi-tech coat my cast bullets and after getting the sizzling right I have had absolutely no leading in Oem glock barrels and sometimes will get 1000 rds or more between cleanings. I do for some reason get a little leading in my colt barrel though.

fredj338 likes this.
  6. John Wesley

John Wesley NRA "Benefactor Life" Member

I use Lone Wolf barrels in all my Glocks. I buy my lead bullets from Graf's Reloading, no time for casting my own. I found my G30S only likes round nose bullets, must be because of the steep angle of the feed ramp. Too bad because I got a sweet loading for the 200 gr. semi-wadcutter lead bullet over10.5 gr. Blue Dot.(of course always check your reloading book ). It is stout but accurate and I use it in my 1911's and my Glock 41. Good shooting and reloading.

7. fredj338

fredj338

Switch to HT or PC coating & you wont ever have to worry about leading, less smoke too. I can afford to buy bullets but I enjoy casting & near free bullets is a benefit.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  8. cjsteineker

cjsteineker

i’ve found a slower burning powder like Longshot or 3N37 work a lot better when shooting cast. Gives the bullet time to “form” to your barrel before the preasure really spikes.
    I hope you get the barrel you’ve asked for.
    When you get a chance look into powder coating. Once you figure it out out it works so much better than lube.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  9. Taterhead

Taterhead

OEM barrels. Casting is a way for me to be more thrifty, although cost is not the prime motivation for casting. I enjoy the process, and I've found cast bullets to be easy to get accurate with reduced gamer type loads in my Glocks.

orangejeep06 and fredj338 like this.
  10. fredj338

fredj338

Adjust your bullet alloy instead. Most are shooting bullets too hard for the pressures/velocities used. Soft range scrap, 10bhn, will work up to about 1200fps w/o leading issues, if sized properly.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  11. fredj338

fredj338

Like getting plated for free.
    [​IMG]

12. roundball

roundball This is the set-up for reloading

I suggest experimenting with water quenched cast bullets. Hardness is surprising and does very well in OEM barrels. Also consider sizing as cast diameter. This is a topic which is poster child for YMMV. (-:

13. fredj338

fredj338

Again, alloy or bullet hardness is rarely the problem at handgun vel/pressures. Fit is king, get it wrong, doesn't matter what the bullet hardness is.

14. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

No budget, but I cast and powder coat my own. Casting gives you a lot more bullet options, and as above no leading or smoke issues through a Glock barrel.

orangejeep06 and fredj338 like this.
  15. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

Have around thirty AM barrels and around fifty molds, yes, on some I
    have more than one and even more if it's extra special.

Reasons for casting, sometimes, you can get more accuracy and many
    times more power, you can save much money and be much more
    prepared if something bad happens.

We cast for everything from the 223 to 12ga and most in between, even
    slugs and buckshot.

Good powerful revolvers should shoot two to four inch groups at 100 yards
    and rifles one to two inches at 100 yards.

When I was a gunsmith I made some good money from showing what
    cast in different guns would do, mostly Ruger magnum revolvers, they wanted
    their guns to shoot like mine.

I like the new coatings for cast but simple Lee TL is still great, have plenty
    of it on hand at all times, it works and is easy and cheap and you don't need
    much special to use it.

A Glock barrel will usually shoot good with cast at low velocity but at the
    higher velocities, not so much. I like to get all I can safely from my guns.

For some calibers we also make our own GCs.

Remember this, most of the buffalo was wiped out with cast.

dudel and willie_pete like this.
  16. cjsteineker

cjsteineker

You can lead the barrel for many reasons. If it’s been leading on you, where in the chamber and/or barrel does it lead? Does your accuracy drop off after a few rounds or many?
    Finally, have you slugged your barrel and what do you size the bullets to? 0.357”?
    I had ring build up right at the throat. Combination of very soft lead and faster burning powder caused my problems.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  17. flyover

flyover

Nice!

18. fredj338

fredj338

That sounds like undersized bullet or oversized throat. Peak pressure has a lot to do with bullet or alloy failure. If you were using TG, burns so hot it breaks downthe lube at ignition.

APERS likes this.
  19. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

I got into casting for the same reason as reloading. Freedom from empty shelves and price fluctuations. Since I recycle my lead over and over it’s almost free to use and I now have close to a lifetime supply of any bullets I want. With casting my own I can reload any service caliber for about $45 per K or under. Hard to beat that with today’s prices. Next I’ll need to start powder coating.

For Glock 30 my preferred load is 230 grn tumble lubed round nose over 4.3 WST. Have a Lone Wolf barrel I bought here for about $50.

20. cjsteineker

cjsteineker

My barrel slugged at 0.3555” and I sized to 0.357”. Not exactly sure what you mean by “oversized throat” but I’ll sleep on it and see if it makes sense in the morning.
    I did have my barrel “throated” where they tapered the lands and groves, in hopes of solving the issue. It helped, but didn’t solve it. Tried several other things. When I switched powders everything fell into place. Haven’t had an issue since.