close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reloading manuals

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by area52, Aug 9, 2017.

1. GreenWolf70

GreenWolf70

Just to begin with, never trust any one source for load data. Always have at least 2 more sources of data. The Lee Manual mentioned above is a case in point as I have found several of their loads to be incorrect. I keep a spreadsheet with load data that lists the source of each entry on the calibers that I reload. It helps when you can see a number of sources with the same, or similar, data.

Here is a free Reloading Manual from Western Powders: http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web-1.pdf

This is the best burn rate chart I have ever seen, I just wish they would update it with all the new powders: http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/burn_rates.pdf

Not a Manual, but I just love Handloader Magazine. They always have new information in every edition, especially father and son Pearce, well worth the read.

2. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry

Warning! Rolling your own can be a serious addiction!:devilish: I agree with most of what has already been posted. Don't forget about online sources from the powder and bullet companies. One that I did not see mentioned so far http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle there is also a pistol page. Just thought that I would add this in.

TGT likes this.

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

What load in the Lee book did you find in error?

4. bea175

bea175

Hodgdon and Nosler for paper. Loaddata.com internet

ironhead7544 likes this.
  5. GreenWolf70

GreenWolf70

It has been a while. But as I remember it was a few of the 9mm loads that were odd.

Patrick Sperry likes this.
  6. gator378

gator378 Gator378

7. NCTJ

NCTJ

I use the Lyman 49th and every on-line cross reference (like Hogdon's, forums, etc). I always work slowly up from the minimums to find the right load for me and my particular firearm. I'm never in a hurry and it's great to learn from so many experienced loaders/shooters, many of whom are on this site.

Patrick Sperry and GreenWolf70 like this.
  8. Dixie Shooter

Dixie Shooter

I use the LEE 2nd Edition and the Hornady 9th Edition manuals. A good friend of mine that has been reloading for many, many years uses the SPEER reloading manual. I imagine all of them have their own similarities and differences in powder brands and bullet types. It usually comes down to one's personal preference. The LEE manual is a very good one if you only want one book.

9. fredj338

fredj338

MY biggest issue with the Lee manual is it rarely tells you what bullet, just 230gr RNL or 200gr JHP, etc. That isn't helpful with OAL relative to powder charges. It is a small thing, but always bothers me. Like the Hornady giving vel ranges with lead & jacketed in the same data, just not possible.
    Regardless of any vetted data, it's all just a guide. Most of us rarely use identical components or the same firearms used in the data. It is up to the individual reloader to develop their own data using the manuals as a guide.

10. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry

A couple of people at Point of Impact said the same thing. If I remember correctly it was with the lighter pills, and one specific powder but I don't remember precisely which. This was a year or three ago.

11. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry

Just a note: On Facebook we have a group called Point of Impact Reloading. Very large and decent group of people from all over the world that are into creating great ammunition. There are also some specialty sub groups if you are into long range, 50 Cal etc.

12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I actually think the books are a lot like people in some ways. I have found the Speer load data very accurate and generally hot in nature, kind of Type A. The Lee data is a compilation of bullet and powder manufacturers data, much like the Load Books data. The thing I like most about Lee is he carries a lot of older loads along, so you can look up say, Red Dot in a pistol load, that may have rolled off Alliant's web site. Lyman I see like that friend you can count on through thick and thin, steady eddy. Hornaday is that squirrelly friend, always good for a few laughs, just be careful with his advice, sometimes dismally short, sometimes dangerously hot.

I would really like to know what specific load in 9mm was problematic in the Lee book, I have probably loaded most of them and never found anything close to being surprising in nature. The closest thing I have found to "bad data" in the Lee book is his calculation of Unique and his Auto Disk cavity equivalent, which is just woefully short, certainly not the other way.

13. jmorris

jmorris

Why wouldn't you put full faith in a manual that has a 2.6 grain difference in max load data with the same powder and load combination?

image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    WeeWilly likes this.
  14. jmorris

jmorris

Or 5.5 grains difference between max load for 4895 from the same source just from different dates in time.

Worth noting that the "old" starting load is above the 1987 edition max load (yeah, I understand 1987 might also be "old" to a young whippersnapper).

image.jpeg image.jpeg

If anyone has a new Speer manual I would be curious what it is now.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  15. fx77

fx77 CLM

Depends on your intensity there is a website forum up to date but U need to pay a small annual fee to join
    http://ammoguide.com/

16. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I think some of the changes that occur from edition to addition, while usually being attributed to lawyers, is probably more the result of newer technology in the test cell. Like going from crushing copper to strain gauges where they see more of what is going on and maybe see something that wasn't apparent with more primitive methods.

Of course, you also have all the normal differences like changes in lots, atmospheric. reformulations, human error in transcription, etc. etc. and of course, the lawyers.. :)

17. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I took a break from reloading for a couple of years. When I resumed, all of the loads that specified magnum loads no longer did. There were many very significant changes like that.

Flash

18. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

There are two Lee second edition manuals, if you can get them both,
    the first one has some great cast loading info and data for rifles with
    the pressure.

Taterhead likes this.
  19. area52

area52

Guys, I appreciate all your help & input on this....it's been a great help. People locally have been dropping off books at my door for a week now. I ended up with the library of manuals anyway! Now all I have to just do is sit & do A Lot of reading.
    Again, Thanks for all your help. It's nice to have a place to go & ask questions & not get a bunch of smart-*** remarks & sarcasm. You guys have been great......Be Good & Stay Safe!

Ricky baby, dudel and Patrick Sperry like this.
  20. fredj338

fredj338

Not to mention test platforms may change over years. Why they are guides, not bibles.

dudel and WeeWilly like this.