close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reloading manuals

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by area52, Aug 9, 2017.

1. area52

area52

what is the best reloading manual for general handgun reloading. Most of my handguns, I have a rifle in the same caliber...even in the 45-70 government round. I needing a good manual for powder loads for different bullet weights.
    I know everyone has their favorite book....just needing some safe information & not info on how far I can push the powder envelope into the +P.....just standard-general reloads.

2. dudel

dudel

IndyGunFreak, TGT and Ridgerunner665 like this.

3. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member Silver Member

I purchased the Lyman 49th edition off of eBay for around $18 I believe. It's got all you seem to need and there might be other manufacturer's books, also. The Lyman is now a 50th edition for more $$$ but the old(er) 49 has a LOT of info.

4. Taroman

Taroman US Army Retired

Lee is another handy one.
    Its a compilation from many sources.

TGT and Ricky baby like this.
  5. Ricky baby

Ricky baby

^^^^^^^what he said.
    I love this book. It really is a compilation of all load books.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/639649/lee-modern-reloading-2nd-edition-revised-reloading-manual

Also, if you have an Android phone, I use an app called reloading assistant. It also is a great resource for a compilation of alot of books. You can even put your own loads on it and lots of details as you wish. No cost to you. It's Free.

IndyGunFreak and TN.Frank like this.
  6. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

Lyman.

Then join loaddata.com.

weaselfire likes this.
  7. area52

area52

Thanks for the input.....I appreciate it. I'm hoping to find one to two books & not end up with a library in a year or so. The load data books look pretty good.

8. TGT

TGT Do you want to see my little friend?

I'm 63 and have been reloading since the 70's. No, I'm not the know-it-all of reloading, but do have a good feel for how it works by now and what has worked best for me. Really, the best thing to start with is to have that book made by the bullet manufacturer of the bullet you intend to use. No, it's not necessary but puts you on the right track faster. I then cross reference and research the cartridge in my other 3 bullet manufacturers books that I have on my bench, and the free pamphlets that the powder manufacturers provide too. You will research bullets of the same weight in the books you have on hand to do a survey & analysis of powders & loads of that paticular bullet weight. I don't own a Lee or Lyman Reloading book, but have seen their books and know that they are also a good generic source of basic bullets and loads.

But there is a good reason to start with the book of that particular manufacturer that you intend to use; For example, it has been my experience that Hornady usually has a harder bullet jacket and bearing surface then other manufacturers, resulting in higher pressure spikes. So then for example, I can often use Sierra bullets with my Hornady book maximum load listings, but have to be cautious of doing the reverse when applying Hornady bullets with Sierra max listings. Of course, we must approach all loads carefully and with suspicion. It's not unusual too for a different powder lot to cause a larger spike in pressure. But, overall, studying all the available manuals and loads for a particular weight bullet gives you a pretty good spectrum and idea of where you want to start.

Sometimes, I will also refer to google to lead me to a consensus and confirmation by other shooters as well. For example, if 6 guys on 3 different websights mention that a Sierra 39grBK with 24.6gr of R10X powder produces 1/4" groups with my 20Tactical cartridge, then that's a good load to check into. I first check into similar loads to make sure it's not an over the red-line load, and I then proceed carefully. (I get 5 shot groups in the 2's) On these forums for example, guys will say that 2.7gr of Bullseye in a S&W model 52 is a very accurate load. Yep no lie there, as I've been using it for years and it produces tight clusters at 50 ft. (YMMV in your gun.) Using google and doing searches in the forums is especially helpful with wildcat cartridges or lesser used bullet makes.
    Below photo; A small initial investment in the big name Reloading Books, and an assortment of free paper manuals from the powder manufacturers will be an asset to you for many years.
    001.JPG

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Patrick Sperry, fredj338 and dudel like this.
  9. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I think the Lee Second Edition should be your first book. One of the best how to sections (first 150 pages or so) and lots and lots of load data, including some that have dropped off the radar of the manufacturers sites.

10. Ricky baby

Ricky baby

I second the motion to purchase the second edition. Just one book. Perfect.

happie2shoot and refugeepj like this.
  11. billorights

billorights

I've always used Lyman's since the late 60's.

orangejeep06 and Patrick Sperry like this.
  12. sig357fan

sig357fan

I have several with the newest being the Lee second addition, I also keep powder and bullet manufactures load data on my pc, or links to their sites.

I usually start the powder manufactures data of the powder I'm using, then verify with a couple different sources.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Lyman & Speer #14 cover most anything in handgun I need. They have lead bullet data, which allows extrapolation when using plated or coated bullets. Loadbooks for specific calibers if you like.

TGT likes this.
  14. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

Ditto on Reloading Assistant. I have several books but the app from Google Play Store has become my "go to" for my loading data and it's easy enough to add in your own recipes to the mix so there handy for future use.

Ricky baby likes this.
  15. onespeedbiker

onespeedbiker

The Loadbooks are a really good resource. There is one per caliber and they contain load receipts from most powder and bullet manufactures. So you get the loads for your caliber from the Lyman manual, RCBS manual, Speer, Sierra, Nosler and Hornady manuals all in one manual. Loadbooks also contain load reciepts from the powder manufacturers; eg; IMR, Accurate Alliant, Winchester Hodgon, etc all in the same book! And the books average under $7.00 per caliper. ie for 45-70 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/694314/loadbooks-usa-45-70-government-reloading-manual

Author/Publisher: Loadbooks USA
    Summary of Material:
    • 598 Proven & Tested Loads
    • 19 Bullets Designs
    • 28 Different Powders
    • Information from the Following Manuals:

• Hornady 4th Edition
        Nosler 3rd Edition
        Sierra 3rd Edition Rifle
        Speer #11
        Lyman 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Handbook
        RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1
        Hodgdon #25
        Accurate Arms
        Hercules
        IMR Powders
        Scot Powders
        Pyrodex (Black Powder)
        FFG Powder (Black Powder)

IndyGunFreak and dudel like this.
  16. timmay

timmay

Lee 2nd and Lyman 49th or 50th get my vote. Lots of good data and how to. I also buy one of the little load books onespeedbiker mentioned for every caliber I own.

Ricky baby and WeeWilly like this.
  17. jmorris

jmorris

I have lots of them Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Nosler are the ones that I reference most often. I think the newest one is from the late 80's early 90's, if I need load data for "new" stuff, it's on the Internet.

Kids these days don't know how good they have it. Back in my day you had to walk to the library, in the snow, up hill, both ways...

18. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Speer #14 and HDY #9 are what I refer to most. For lead data, the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has been very helpful. Lately, as I'm venturing further into casting, I'm finding Ken Waters Pet Loads to be useful and a dang good read. Of course Waters only wrote about the powders available in his day, but still relevant for the most part.

19. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

Lyman #50 gets my vote. That manual has data for the newest AR-15 rounds like the .300 BLK, and .458 Socom. Lyman manuals are the most conservative of any that I own. Some loads may be found in other books that are MAX in Lyman!

I have a whole library of loading manuals (approx. 24) and cross reference a new load. Surprisingly, there is little agreement between the books.

Lee is another great manual but data is jammed in a small space and is hard for me to read. Lee even lists pressure levels for many of his recipes.

The worst is Norma. The Norma book covers only Norma component products but still has good generic information about reloading in the first part of the manual.

Again.......Lyman #50 is my favorite!

Flash

orangejeep06 and ironhead7544 like this.
  20. Ricky baby

Ricky baby

Personally I stay away from "bullet specific" load manuals like Speer, hornady, Sierra etc. By getting the Lee or Lyman, you are getting ALL their data (the bullet specific companies) in one place. More convenient and affordable.