Reloading Kit for G23 - new owner

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cdhmiel, Mar 8, 2010.

1. cdhmiel

cdhmiel

I have never reloaded ammo before and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips and ideas for purchasing a reloading kit that is relatively inexpensive? I have read about "mishaps" that can occur with reloading ammo for the .40 and only plan to reload jacketed ammo, NO LEAD, so please no "horror stories" about G23 mishaps.

2. PBKing

PBKing

Right On
    Welcome to the forum.
    Check out the stickies for sure. Very informative
    They are at the top of the Reloading Page.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010

3. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

You've come to the right place....Welcome :wavey:

Like mentioned check the stickies out.... I personally believe the LCT is the minimum standard to get started. But budget considering is a key factor. State what are your ammo needs now and the foreseeable future? How many rounds a month and what is your relative inexpensive budget?

4. fredj338

fredj338

Read the stickies. Get The ABCs of Reloading, read that. Get a good reloading manual (Lyman or SPeer), read that. After you've digested all of that, you'll have a better idea of what you need vs what you want. Reloading is not rocket science, but there is little room for shortcuts. Not doing the research is the first step to bad reloading habits of shortcutting. After your research, then determine how much ammo you need/month. That will determine what kind of equip. you need. The higher volumn/speed, the greater the cost. Good equip. cost more than crap equip.

5. alank2

alank2

Hi,

I agree that LCT is the minimum I would go. My favorite press is the Dillon 550.

Make sure you do these things:

1. Know your brass by purchasing it new or knowing where it came from (i.e. you shot it and it was new and now is once fired). 40s&w is a cartridge where case inspection is very important. I wouldn't just pickup a bunch of brass at the range and start loading it for example.

2. EACH and EVERY round you load make sure you look into the round to see that the right amount of powder is present. No Powder -or- Double Powder are both VERY bad situations that can be prevented by doing this one step.

Good luck!

Alan