close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reloading in an apartment

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jstang, Dec 10, 2009.

1. jstang

jstang

Well to keep this simple I am looking into reloading and the only thing that i feel may prevent me is that i live in an apartment. I live on my own and do not have any roomates. I also have a large closet I would be able to put a table in and work in. Are there any reasons not to do so, and if I can would it be wise to work in an isolated area such as the closet.
    Thanks
    J

2. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

I don't see a problem with either.

3. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

Make sure you tell your super. I'm sure he'll be excited :)

Seriously, don't let the small space be an excuse. I reload on a desk in my office with a handpress. Everything I need fits in a tool box that I keep locked up when I'm not using it. Great skill to learn and very rewarding. Good luck.

4. fredj338

fredj338

When I was in college I turned my coat closet into a reloading room. Put a lock or dead bolt on it so the manager doesn't go snooping. Also doubles as a safe place to store your guns & ammo. It's a small space but certainly workable.

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

Make sure you have good light. If you are working with exposed lead or doing casting make sure you have very good ventilation.

6. pangloss9

pangloss9

I can't think of a good reason not too. I wish I had a spare closet somewhere in my house that I could use for that purpose.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I made the mistake of thinking my 900 sqft place was too small for a progressive press. Reality is with a little forthought you can easily make it work. I used my kitchen table and C-Clamped the press (attached to a big board) to the table. I then attached the that board to the wall with a removable bolt (expanding wall anchor). The board had the L bracket to attach to the wall. Once the press was C-Clamped to the table and the bolt was attached to the two wall anchors the table was very solid.

8. dudel

dudel

My first "bench" was in a small closet. I put a set of 2x4 rails around 3/4 of the closet and set a heavy board on the rails. Worked fine for two years. Easy to take down, or leave up as needed. Close the door, and it was secure. Easy enough to put a good lock on it if needed.

Welcome to the madness.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

I shall refrain from making any comments on the obvious difference between going into a closet... and coming out of one. :whistling:

Jack

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't see a problem. I've heard of some folks using those craftsman portable benches. Obviously you wouldn't be able to put a huge press on it, but would probably work fine w/ a 550 or LCT, or maybe even a Loadmaster.

IGF

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Thats the thing. It won't matter. Brace the base properly to a wall and put whatever you want on it. I doubt even a casefeeder would matter if the base is attached to the wall for additional support. Thats really the key.

12. n2extrm

n2extrm

Made alot of ammo on my little bench in a 9X9 room!

[​IMG]

I even had a trimmer and swager on there at one point. I would put the scale on a small desk by my laptop behind me! This could be built in a closet easilly.

13. jstang

jstang

Thanks for all of the replys Im sure this is the first question of many more to come. I move next friday, and I have a table I built out of some scrap wood a while ago I will use as a bench. For some reason when I built it I felt the need to use all of the wood I had so its very sturdy, 4x4's for legs and 2x4's for support. Think I'll go buy a book tomorrow to get started on some reading. Hopefully after christmas and the move I'll have some money left to start.

J

14. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

how much ammunition do you need?

15. Landric

Landric Supervisor?

I started handloading in 1994. I bought a house (finally) in 2008. During all that time between (except the time I lived in an apartment that really was too small for handloading-about 400 square feet), I lived in apartments and I handloaded. Provided you have even a little spare to put your stuff, I don't see any reason not to do it. I wouldn't cast in an apartment, but handloading is no problem.

16. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

When I started reloading (16 yrs old), my bedroom had a walk-in closet, which served as my clothes closet, magazine storage (lots of Road & Track and Gun & Ammo), and reloading room. I reloaded thousands of rounds of pistol and rifle cartridges on a RCBS single stage press.

I've seen some people use a Black and Decker workmate as a folding reloading table - they seem to work pretty well even with a progresive press - like a Dillion 550.

17. Gunnuts10mm

Gunnuts10mm

If you like your neighbors, you may want to mind your tumbler running time.

18. jstang

jstang

I usually try to shoot once a week. Right now I've slowed down on the centerfire little and have been sticking to the .22's for cost. I would like to get back to shooting about 500rds .40 and 200rds 5.56 a month.

J

19. mteagle1

mteagle1

I've got a Dillon 550 mounted on a board clamped to the kitchen table. No longer keep records but it's 10K+ 45ACP another 5K+ 9MM and a couple K 5.56.

20. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

My single stage presses can be operated quietly, if not silently. My progressive presses are entirely too noisy for an apartment -- particularly if one is on some floor other than the first.