close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

reloading for my glock 19...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dancinzen, Mar 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. dancinzen

dancinzen

hello, i am getting my first glock on monday and will be doing all reloads for this gun... my question is, is it a big deal to buy an after market barrel for the fully supported chamber issue? or can the stock 9mm barrel chamber support the brass enough for multiple reloadings with the brass staying strong?

mathew

2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

The oem 19 barrel will work fine for reloads.

3. Scott30

Scott30

Never had a problem with reloads in my G19 with stock barrel. I do not load with a max charge either. Usually stay in the middle to low end of the powder charge listed in my manuals.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  4. ranger56528

ranger56528

Ditto,I have had no troubles with the 19 or 26......

5. dancinzen

dancinzen

what about the bulge on the bottom of the brass after shooting? about how many times have you reloaded your brass? i just picked up 2000 once fired wcc brass, and most of them have the bulge, but i think my resizing die should fix that.

6. telecster

telecster

I reload for both my Glocks. G20sf and G17..I have shot from light to max loads in both and have not seen any case bulges. These have been in stock barrels. I have a 40 cal conv (LW) for my G20sf and it seems that both barrels support the chamber the same. I should recieve my G23 tommorow and already have a couple hundred loaded for it. Happy reloading.

7. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

You're seeing a bulge on 9mm brass? I don't think I've ever seen that.

The known "bulge" was with .40 caliber guns, not 9mm IIRC.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This....

If your 9mm brass is bulged, you have an out of spec barrel. Only way you'd really *want* an aftermarket barrel, is if you intend to shoot lead.

How long brass lasts, depends on a lot of things... How hot your loads are, how aggressive your flaring die is set(ie, are you flaring to much), did Jack roll his walker over it before you picked it up... I've got 9mm brass I've loaded 4-5x, I've had some brass that split after the first "reload"...

IGF

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Yes, with out a doubt. I load mine till they split and that seldom happens. Don't worry about it for a second. Just use resonable loads. ANY gun loaded to max deserves special care of the brass. So don't load to max. Plenty of mid level loads to work with in 9mm.

10. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Jack doesn't roll over anyone's brass... he has the butler pick it up and hide it in the truck... It's allowed under the American's with Disabilities Act... look it up. :whistling:

Jack

11. dancinzen

dancinzen

Looks like I got a bad buy of 9mm brass... It was once fired military... I'm gonna send it back for a refund.

12. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

I load and shoot 9mm out of my G19 with no troubles

once fired brass. millitary brass. nickle plated brass.

shoots just fine.

when it splits i toss it

13. dudel

dudel

What's wrong with once fired military brass? :dunno:

14. dancinzen

dancinzen

Well they are all bulged at the bottom ... And my die won't fix it...

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'd be more willing to bet your die is not set up correctly. What type of sizing die are you using? What press?

IGF

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:rofl: Can't slip one by you... I was thinking you'd just completely read past my post after the first few lines and miss that... :)

IGF

17. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I load 1200 rounds a month of 9mm FMJ for my stock glock barrels no problems... I use a LWD barrel for lead bullets.

So if you haven't got your G19 yet, where did you get the brass? What dies and set-up are you using?

18. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I have a Dillon 550B, but replaced the Dillon resizing die with a Lee resizing die at Steve's (C4W) advice. I also saw references to this in *many* other places on the 'net... the Lee die does a better job at sizing the bottom of the brass.

I also followed Steve's recommendation on sizing die setup... this insures best "full" resizing possible. If I have a cartridge that doesn't drop into my sizing gauge now, it's almost always because a small "burr" on the brass that once removed, then drops in.

Proper setup of Resizing Die:
    1) Raise the ram and lower the die till it contacts the shellplate
    2) Lower the ram a touch and lower the die a touch more.
    3) Raise the ram again slowly, watch the toolhead/dieholder as it moves up. Watch the shellplate to see if it moves at all (they don't move as much).
    4) Lower the ram and lower the die in toolhead again, repeat step 3 till you feel additional pressure in the handle. At this point STOP and loosen (raise) the die a touch. You will be able to get a good amount of movement down on the die before you notice any increase in pressure at the handle. Obviously, it's important to not have too much pressure on the die. Just enough to take the slack out of the press. Properly adjust you will feel no additional pressure in the handle then when you have the die just touching the shellplate and not taking the slack out of the toolhead/press.
    5) Put a case in the shellholder and raise the ram, tighten the die lock ring. This will actually raise the die just a smidge as well.