Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might should be for the reloading forum but I think GSSF is the proper column. I know shooting for self defense or shooting without a timer hot loads are better ..... however shooting GSSF , or without a clock lite target loads are best. I watch some of the more successful shooters and the brass lands at their feet and recoil is minimum . I like to load a round down until it barely works the Action, then add about 1/2 gr. Then you can get back on target after recoil.

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
What's a clock (timer?) got to do with it? I think most competitive shooters who reload (unless they're hot-rodding like 9mm major) keep the loads as light as is reasonably possible. It's more pleasant shooting, and faster to get back on target.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I th
What's a clock (timer?) got to do with it? I think most competitive shooters who reload (unless they're hot-rodding like 9mm major) keep the loads as light as is reasonably possible. It's more pleasant shooting, and faster to get back on target.
I think that is what I said. You asked what the clock has to do with it.... if you give someone all the time they need to get back on target, you would not miss. With the indoor league you have a number of seconds to get off 10 rounds.... any shots fired after the buzzer counts as a miss. Yes the clock has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
DP caps for the old timers are the softest ammo ive seen used. Lot of very successful shooters use factory ammo. I've loaded up and down plus used factory ammo and getting an A hit works better for me than a D hit.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
When I’m shooting lighter loads, the timer doesn’t always pick it up. Especially when I’m shooting PCC. My carbine likes 147 grain bullets, but the timer doesn’t pick it up consistently. I dropped back to 124 grain and there is no problems.

USPSA matches expect a certain power factor for the caliber used.

“Power factor is calculated by the formula: bullet weight times velocity divided by 1000. Power factor requirements are determined by which division one competes in, and might be caliber specific. A common distinction is between “Minor” and “Major” power factor, and it determines the score value of peripheral hits.”

I’ve never participated in the sanctioned matches, but I’m told that a chronograph is used to check ammo before the matches start. Supposed to keep shooters from taking unfair advantage of other shooters who don’t reload and use factory ammo.

I haven’t looked at any of the rules for GSSF, but one of these days.....

Reactions: tommyherman

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
GSSF has no power factor requirement. The only issues you're likely to run into with GSSF are outside of Unlimited, your ammo has to have enough "power" to reliably operate the slide with a stock recoil spring. In Unlimited, it's not unusual to see guns with extensive mill-work to lighten the slide in order to make them reliable with under-powered ammo.

It's never been an issue for me, so I'm not sure what the policy is on weak ammo (outside of Pocket Glock) not knocking plates over. IIRC, with Pocket Glock, an audible hit is sufficient, and steel doesn't have to fall if it's obviously been hit.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I’ve got video of at least two low hits with 115gr moving at 1070 fps not taking down a sticky plate. I’m not the type to contest it or take chances, so I kept shooting until they were down.

I moved back to 124’s moving at the same speed this weekend. Now if I could just have the discipline to stay with the front sight under match pressure, those plates would really be dropping fast!

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
42 is audible 43 is the same as any 9mm. G 42 the plates are painted before the competitor starts. If the ammo is too light either take the gun to the armor, witch is not going to make any difference or rack the slide and keep going. Or quite and get a credit for another match. But if you only shoot one match a year that is going to suck. So before going to any match make sure the gun will cycle with 12 or more round in the magazine just to be on the safe side. Or take factory ammo with you also.

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
My 42 won't run for a match without a nose dive FTF.

Low hits might be splatter from the bar. If plate rack is in good repair and clean plates will fall with anything except maybe edge hit. Plates at Brighton use to bounce back up, if you were quick you wouldn't know if it was a hit or not

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

·
Adirondacker with a Glock
2,829 Posts
Plates not falling (for the G42) and bouncing back up, are why the Scorekeeping RO is supposed to keep his/her eye on the targets.

Also supposed to agree with shooter beforehand whether to call out "Hit", "Miss", or both with the 42.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Side question...

When I’m shooting lighter loads, the timer doesn’t always pick it up.
Does this mean at your matches that time doesn't start until you fire the first shot?

Our time starts when the buzzer goes off and you have to start from low ready.

Just curious.

·
Sometimes grumpy, not old
1,167 Posts
Side question...

Does this mean at your matches that time doesn't start until you fire the first shot?

Just curious.
No, he meant the shot doesn't always register on the shot timer.

I had a lot of trouble with that when running a .22 rimfire match, or a suppressed gun, but I haven't seen that with GSSF.

I have always loaded 147gr bullets for 9mm with Bullseye for USPSA, so I began using the same load for GSSF.

This year I'm experimenting with 140gr bullets for .40 and 180gr bullets for .45 for GSSF. All loaded with Bullseye as well. The .40 loads are particularly soft.

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
AJ try a 135 Rainer and 4.5 Titegroup, you can go up and down .5 but 4.5:seemed to sweet spot for me

I never had good results with 185s in 45. Try a 200gr. and 4.5 WST

·
1,167 Posts
I used 200gr last year. I like the 180's from SNS casting. They have been flawless with 4.5gr Bullseye.

·
Registered
141 Posts
AJ try a 135 Rainer and 4.5 Titegroup, you can go up and down .5 but 4.5:seemed to sweet spot for me

I never had good results with 185s in 45. Try a 200gr. and 4.5 WST
ede,
I currently load my .45 at 4.0 WST and 230gr Bayou. I ordered some 200gr to experiment with, but haven't had a chance to yet. Have you loaded any 230's in a while? If so how does the 200 compare in the loading you mentioned? Softer? More accurate?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Side question...

Just curious.
Outdoor GSSF matches are scored time plus penalties rather than a time limit and a simple points score like indoor. For example a&b hits are +O seconds, c is +1 second, d is +3, and a miss is + 10.

Your time for all strings of fire are added together plus penalties and that is your match score (lower is better).

·
1,167 Posts
ede,
I currently load my .45 at 4.0 WST and 230gr Bayou. I ordered some 200gr to experiment with, but haven't had a chance to yet. Have you loaded any 230's in a while? If so how does the 200 compare in the loading you mentioned? Softer? More accurate?
180's are softer than 200's which are softer than 230's. I would have used 180's but I couldn't find any at the time that were round nose. The SWC bullets felt nice with the recoil but were not reliable for consistent feeding, so I had to settle on 200's for last year. I found a different source of 180gr round nose (SNS casting, coated) that I purchased for this year now. I just ran 3 mags and they were nice and soft.

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
I've not used anything but 200 RN from Precession for years. It's been more accurate than anything I've tried in 45 including 230 and 185. When I run out I'm going to try a plated bullet. Typically I'd favor a heavier bullet but my results with 200 makes me want to stick with them.
I originally loaded ,4.3 of WST but wife got a 30S and she needs hotter loads for it to cycle.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Side question...

Just curious.
Yes, it does start when I fire the first shot.

I think what you are used to is called PAR time. When the timer beeps, you have a certain amount of time to fire all rounds for that course. If you don’t, you get a penalty.

Reactions: vart

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
Yes, it does start when I fire the first shot.

I think what you are used to is called PAR time. When the timer beeps, you have a certain amount of time to fire all rounds for that course. If you don’t, you get a penalty.
For outdoor GSSF the time starts when the buzzer goes off and stops after your last shot. Indoor I don't remember been to long since I shot one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts