close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reloading data confusion.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Glock20 10mm, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

So I am looking up reloading information for 200gr bullets for my 10mm since my Speer Reloading Manual #14 doesn't have anything for 200gr. I am using Accurate #7 powder (it was recommended by several people as the best powder for reloading 10mm) and have almost a full pound left.

Anyhow I was comparing the reload data from Accurate's web site to my Speer reloading manual and noticed some discrepancies that have me concerned.

Right now I have several hundred rounds reloaded with 180fr FMJ and 11.5gr of Accurate #7. This is the middle of what the Speer manual calls for Lower is 11.0gr and upper is 12.0gr. But the Accurate site says the lower is 9.9gr and the upper is 11.0.

This puts me at .5gr over what Accurate says is the max and .5 grain below what Speer says is the max load. Which is right?

I have already fired several hundred of these reloads with no problems. No excess case bulge, no splits (other than an occasional but those cases were pretty old to start with) and other than some really impressive flame from the compensator (I am shooting these reloads from a G20C) and some stiff recoil (really it's about the same as when I am shooting a Double Tap 200gr WFNGC Hardcast)

My question is, which reload chart to I believe? This has me concerned as I don't want to blow my gun apart because of faulty information. I have to admit that the current set up with the 180FMJ + 11.5gr is giving me excellent accuracy but now I am getting leary of shooting them anymore.

So my question(s) are this:

1. Which reload data should I follow?
    2. Why? I need a logical reason why.
    3. I haven't loaded any of the 200gr rounds yet, and these are the components I have to work with
    - Accurate #7 powder
    - 100 :: Midway 40200RNFP (200gr plated lead safe) bullets
    - Wolf Primer (cases are ready to go just need spec to load with)
    Is the data in the Accurate site good for reload?

I am looking for mid range performance, not really looking for top end. I have some 180gr Remington hollow points that I will marry up with Starline Nickel brass, Winchester primer and AA #7 powder that I will run close to max pressure. But most of my loads are for competitive shooting, I want to run about the middle of the range since it seems to give me the best accuracy and controllability in the pistol.

Thank you for your time and input on this.

2. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I'd trust the Speer manual over the Accurate website but that's not the way I would arrive at a load I would use.

The first thing I would be looking at is the primers on the loads you have already shot. Do they show signs of excess pressure? Next thing I would do is drag the chronograph out and see what it says.

I would also get more manuals, like the Lyman 49.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I'll have to borrow a chrono from my gun club... Primers all looked good to me. I'll have one of the old salts take a look next go around (should be shooting later today or tomorrow...) I'll check out the Lyman 49. Thanks for that tip!

4. LoadedTech

LoadedTech

Handloads.com is showing the 180g with AA#7 to be 8.5-12g
    They show the 200g AA#7 7.9-11.6g
    If you aren't showing signs of over pressure, I'd say, shoot em up.

5. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

handloads.com - Thanks, I didn't know about that site! Seems their loads are about in line with what Speer #14 says for 180gr.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. Bettershotthanu

Bettershotthanu

My Lyman 47th calls for AA7 9.0-10.6.For 200gr FMJ.I also belive Lyman is conservative with there powder charges.However I still shoot for the middle of the chart.

7. Bettershotthanu

Bettershotthanu

They have a wide spread on there powder chart.I havent been there before ,but im gonna look.Thanks.

8. fredj338

fredj338

All data sources are not using the same bullets, cases & primers. It all matters. Not all data sources use the same test platform; some use actual guns, some test barrels. It matters. You'll get diff pressure & vel readings when you change anything about your load.
    So, which data to trust. I try to match the bullet profile & wt w/ the test data. If there is no match, then average data form 3 like sources. Take the middle average & work up. A chronograph helps a lot, lets you see where you are going. Watch for pressure signs. Regardless of what the data says, if you see pressure signs, back off.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  9. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Thanks for the education on that. I didn't really know how the numbers were derived. I only just recently started to reload so I am learning a ton. :wavey:

10. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah, not rocket science, but little things do matter. OAL is a big one. You can't use OAL for a FMJ & a JHP of the same wt interchangeably. You can't use lead bullet data & jacketed bullet data interchangeably.

11. dougader

dougader

Hornady 6th Edition manual lists AA7 with their 200 grain bullets (XTP, FMJFP and HAP) as follows:

Primer: WLP
    COAL: 1.260"
    Start load: 8.3 grains AA7 for 850 fps
    MAX load: 9.9 grains AA7 for 1000 fps

They use AA9 and Blue Dot for higher velocity loads up to 1150 fps.

Hornady also lists 180 grain data with AA7 from 9.3 - 12.0 grains AA7, also with a 1.260 COAL.

12. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Thank you guys!! The input is greatly appreciated!

13. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Use the Speer data if there are no overpressure signs and if they work and feel fine.