Reloading as business

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Toledo, May 19, 2005.

1. Toledo

Toledo

Fellow Bogs,
    Please advise...How viable a business is reloading in the Philippines? From what little bits I can gather from this forum, it appears there are strict laws governing this venture. My wife and I plan to retire in either Cebu or Bicol. I just want to know if reloading as a business is a viable option. Thanks in advance.

2. 9MX

9MX Rei!

1. as per RP laws, you just need to register each reloader, for club use, its a 1 time fee of 3,000 pesos. i'm not sure of the details when you want to turn it into a business.
    2. i think it can be rewarding but not quite as a main source of livelihood. local GM lito pible is one of those people i know who has a reloading business, he even has a branch in batangas. but i don't think its his bread and butter. jasonub could probably add more details as he is lito's padawan(?)!

3. jasonub

jasonub

nasastarwars ka na pare "padawan";f

My cost is 3.3 per round, usually selling is around 5 pesos. As for lito's operations, no idea how much he is selling it. he has lead, plated, teflon, all different prices. did not bother to ask him about prices.

4. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

I use reloads from Lito's shop(True Power) in Batangas almost exclusively in my STI. No complaints, his son BoyT is a friend and a very good reloader who listens to all your specs. He charges 4.50 per with LFN heads and AP-70 powder, my shells of course. "Once fired" empty shells are also available at the shop.

5. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

To make it viable i think you should also make the bullets. The major advantage of the big commercial reloaders from you is that they can import their own powder and primer. Your best bet would be to setup in Bicol, there's probably no major reloader there.

6. homer_m

homer_m

where in bicol do you plan to retire? in naga city there is already a major reloader- P5.50 each, halfday waiting period. most of the active shooters there reload thier own ammo.

7. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Dami na pala sa Bicol.

8. jojo_G19

jojo_G19

9. Toledo

Toledo

homer,
    My wife's parents are I believe, from Sorsogon or Albay---I am not sure. All I know is that her brother's house is near Mayon....About reloading as a business--it seems to me if there are more folks who can make ammo, the better it is for the shooters. More choices with competitive prices. Anyway, from what I can gather, it appears that as a business venture, reloading is much more of a headache than is profitable. I think I will just do so strictly for private use. But not for awhile--a few more years, maybe.....I thank all who responded with great advise and insight. Please shoot safely and "share your sport".

10. kent

kent

i live in legazpi, that's at the southern foot of mayon volcano.
    my personal reloader arrived last friday, shoot my first reload yesterday. ;)

11. Toledo

Toledo

kent,
    What kind of reloader did you get? I have a Lee turret press and reload for 9mm, 357 and soon for the 45acp...so far, all my reloads have been great...more accurate than factory ammo. I think you'll soon find the same thing--that reloaded ammo, if carefully done, are so much better than the factory stuff. My wife and I are planning to come to Bicol sometime this December...I do hope to meet with shooters there.

12. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

it would be nice if you can set up your reloading biz here in cebu:) stronghand and apl cant keep up with the demand.

13. kent

kent

right now it's 2 set of lee loader (handloader), i just want to try my hand on it, next month papabili ako ng single stage.

dito saamin sa legazpi there are 4 commercial reloader that I know of and at the next municipality (about 2 km away) there are 2 that i know.

yesterday at the range i was a little hesitant to take out my pistols, everyone and his uncle are shooting M4 and galil (.223 and .308)

14. Toledo

Toledo

CEBUBOY,
    BAI...I AM TRYING TO CONTACT MY COUSINS THERE TO GET SOME INPUT...I WOULD RATHER SET UP A BUSINESS IN CEBU...I THINK IT IS A MATTER OF CONVINCING THE SHOOTING PUBLIC THAT RELOADS ARE ACTUALLY NOT ONLY CHEAPER BUT ACCURATE...THE PROBLEM IN THE PHIL IS THAT WE DO NOT HAVE THAT MANY CHOICE OF POWDERS AND BULLETS (HEADS). IT APPEARS THAT THE MAJOR MANUFACTURERE OF AMMO IN THE PHIL...NAMELY ARMSCOR...HAS THE MONOPOLY ON THIS BUSINESS AND HAS PROBABLY STRONG TIES WITH POLITICIANS RESPONSIBLE FOR LEGISLATING AMMUNITION MANUFACTURING.

15. vega

vega

Would you believe that there are times that Armscor cannot keep in pace with the demand? When I was still back there sometimes they will buy from First (Final?) Option.

vega

16. Toledo

Toledo

vega,
    Thus, the need for more competition in the manufacturing of ammo. Right now, from what I can gather from my relatives in Cebu and Manila, only the very rich can afford to shoot for sport.

17. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Any business related to firearms will also be dependent on the political and peace and order situation in the country.

If gun laws become more strict to the point that even obtaining a PTT will be very difficult, then fewer people will be encouraged to go out and shoot. Just something more to think about.

18. vega

vega

That's true but if there's shortage of bullets (heads as they call it in RP), how can you compete? Unless you cast your own. I remember there was a shortage of 9mm from Armscor and FO has been trying to fill up the back-logs and they can only sell limited quantities to reloaders.

vega

19. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Currently, Armscor does not sell fmj heads. They are short right now since they are supplying a lot of shooters' orders (local and foreign) for the World Shoot.

20. Toledo

Toledo

vega,
    That's a good option about casting your own...I have never tried but I will do some research. But if the Philippines can produce a champion like Jethro, given the limited resources in terms of equipment and ammo, just think if more fellow Filipinos were given the chance to shoot competitively at an earlier age. I dare say the Philippines would have more Jethros. Talent is there, no question. It's just a matter of means and for the most part, economics. I am willing to bet that our fellow BOGs back home are looking for ways to promote the sport as I write this (Don't let me down Phil Bogs!...).