Reloading and trigger mods for my new Glock 19.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by judgecrater, Jul 6, 2016.

1. judgecrater

judgecrater

With the upcoming election and anti-gun stuff you read, it was time to buy yet another pistol, just because. I have always read so much about the G19 that I thought it might fill an imaginary void in my collection of shooters. Having a G17, I had to talk myself into the only slightly smaller G19. Found a great deal at Grab-a-gun and had them ship it to a local FFL. After dry firing and not caring for the almost 7.5 lb trigger pull I do what I always do; I do the the 25 cent Glock trigger job and slightly recontour and polish the top of the firing pin safety plunger. I very slightly reduced the safety plunger spring tension and replace the trigger spring with a heavier unit that reduces pull. This reduced the pull to a very smooth and crisp 5.25 lbs. Additionally I tried the Zev 3.5 connector but it failed to reset half the time. That was sent back same day to Midway.

Time for a couple of trips to the range. After about 150 rounds of various reload recipes with different powders and bullet types, I had no failures of any type with any load and the trigger continued to smooth out. Could not be happier. I have ordered a Crossbreed IWB Super-tuk that will compete with my 9mm Shield for carry during the cooler months here in Georgia. Shown is an off-hand group at 10 yards. While not all were that good, others were not much worse.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      80.5 KB
      Views:
    Lindenwood likes this.
  2. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

Nice group. My experience has been to change to the factory - connector, leave the springs alone and shoot it a lot. My guns will pop every primer I load with and are 100 reliable.

Many years ago, I swapped parts like a flea market. The lesson I learned the hard way was...the more I deviated with aftermarket parts, the problems I incurred.

YMMV

refugeepj and Kentguy like this.

3. judgecrater

judgecrater

You do have to be selective as to what you change. That is true. As it stands now, I am using the factory connector. Though experience I have learned that lightening the firing pin springs has led to light primer strikes and misfires so that I do not touch. Only tried that once.

4. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Reset can be sluggish or inconsistent if the connector's bend angle is too acute. Most of the OE connectors I've seen are pretty consistent in this respect, but this is something to check when you change the connector.

Same as with ammo, when the gun starts to get dirty, it needs more power to function properly. An over-tuned connector can function great when it's clean and you're just dry firing, and then start to break down as fouling builds up.

The FP spring issue is largely a function of what primers you use, and how well they are seated. Some primers are not 100% reliable with a #5.5 spring. Others are 100% reliable with a #3.5 spring. If you want a #2 trigger that sets off all primers, get an external hammer gun. But you can definitely get a #2 Glock trigger to be 100% reliable if you load your ammo accordingly.

5. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

My favorite trigger for my Glock handguns is the Lone Wolf 3.5# connector with the NY1 trigger spring. Gives a nice, semi-firm feel in the take up, clean, crisp break and a very positive reset that almost pushes your finger forward.

6. judgecrater

judgecrater

I did not want to worry about which brand of primers I had used and risk a misfire. As any of my Glocks might be used for home defense, reliability was at the top of my considerations.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  7. Kentguy

Kentguy

I agree 100%, I too did the same thing - couldn't tell you how much time & money I spent causing myself nothing but more problems in search of the "perfect trigger"... ya.

8. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Had a Blue Label coupon burning a hole in my pocket, and picked up a Gen 4 19. Been staying away from Gen 4s due to reports like the Judge's, with heavier triggers. To my surprise, the new gun (BCHN***) has a trigger not much different than my Gen 3 19; breakweight is around 5lbs, with maybe 100 rounds thru' the gun.
    Judge, you might want to talk to Smyrna or your local armorer. Apparently changes have been made, much like the G42.
    Any gun that might be used for 'social purposes' stays OEM.
    Moon

9. fredj338

fredj338

Just to poke the bear, groups w/o distance are pretty pointless??? Glad you are happy with the new Glock though.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Glock -Minus Connector. Wolf Compettion Spring Kit. 100% with CCI primers as long as I load them on a Dillon Or LCT. Not 100% on my LnL. But CCI are not known for being easy to light off like Federal. Besides that I don't mess with Glock triggers. I have a older G19 that feels almost as good as my modded G34. Just a little heavier. Just need to shoot them a lot.

11. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

When I get a new Glock the first thing I do is take it completely apart. I clean then do a .25 polishing job, no removing of any metal or cutting springs. Just a little polishing with Flitz polish and a felt wheel on a Dremel tool on low speed. If it is a range or competition gun I install a Glock - connector and install different sights. I lube it up more than recommended. When I have nothing better to do I will dry fire it a lot and racking the slide all the way back. I also leave the slide locked back when not dry firing for two weeks. I then take it out and put at least 500 rds. Through it before I worry about any malfunctions it might have. Luckly in 26 Glocks have not had that problem.

I took a crappy Scherer magazine that is worth using it for anything else and put lead shot in the body, filled in the follower with JB weld so the shot would not fall out and removed the lip on the follower that locks the slide back.

12. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Been avoiding CCI primers; they continue to have harder battery cups than other brands, and I get an occasional misfire in the one 42 with the CCIs. They would also cause an occasional misfire in S&Ws with full power mainsprings (with the muzzle elevated). Just not worth the trouble.
    Moon