Reloading and the Glock 19 - what's so wrong with that?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DHart, May 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. DHart

DHart

So, Glock cautions against use of reloads in their guns (with their barrels)...

What are your thoughts and experiences on shooting your own jacketed reloads in a Glock 19?

I ask this because I am a new 19 owner, love the gun, but I do shoot a lot of reloads... that's just how it is and how it's going to be! Do I need to ditch the Glock barrel in favor of a KKM barrel if I'm going to shoot reloads? (BTW, I NEVER shoot bare lead bullets, only copper-plated and copper-jacketed bullets.)

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

2. scott mcdonald

scott mcdonald DAWGSM G-19

i reload for my 19 i only use full metal jacketed bullets
    no problems for my g-21 i use a sfter market barell so i can
    shoot lead the 40 cal glocks are the problem because of the
    unsuported barell at the 6 oclock position plus the rifleing
    in the glocks are differnt then most rifleing the led builds up
    in the barell if you read the manual's for all guns the
    don't recomend reloaded ammo libality reasons but any way reloading
    for the 19 hasent been an issuse but again full metal jackets

3. LSP972

LSP972

Lots of folks (me included) shoot reloads in their G-19s. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on the no-lead-bullets-in-polygonal-bore question; but you said you'll use plated or jacketed only (which is what I do), so it won't be an issue. IOW, you do not need an after-market barrel.

The factory caveat regarding reloads is a standard disclaimer, to prevent the company from having to pay up when some moron who should have stayed with golf blows up his pistol via faulty reloads.

4. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) Take a look at LWD's $100 dollar barrel before you decide to spend much more on another brand. There's nothing wrong with reloading for a G-19. Over the years Glock has very quietly reduced the excessive amount of rebate on their barrels into much more, 'usable' dimensions.

You CAN shoot lead in a 9mm polygonal barrel. The lead bullet's BHN should be 15, or greater; and the bullet's diameter shouldn't be more than .356". Stop every 50-100 rounds, or so, and vigorously scrub out the barrel - You should be fine.

There is one caveat: Many commercial lead bullets are too soft. Ideally, if you want to shoot lead in your Glock, you need to get bullets that have been privately cast from wheel weights and such. Otherwise use plated bullets from Rainier or Berry Manufacturing. I've gone through many 1000's of these in my Glocks without a problem. (Safer and a lot less toxic to use than lead - especially indoors during the winter.) ;)

5. Onmilo

Onmilo

I have begun to reload 9mm after a long hiatus from doing so.
    There is nothing wrong with shooting reloaded jacketed bullet loads in a Glock other than Glock will not repir the weapon for free if you manage to blow one up.

I for one shake my head in wonder when people state it is OK to shoot lead bullets through a factory Glock barrel when there have been more than a few Kabooms cause by exactly that issue.
    The Glock factory does not advocate lead bullet loads of any kind be fired in any of their pistols regardless of the barrel installed.
    Call them and ask them, I have.
    I don't agree with them about the barrel issue but I don't expect Glock to replace my pistol if I do blow one up.
    I will just buy a replacement.

I haven't managed to explode a Glock in about 75,000 rounds+ fired through four different pistols and have not felt compelled to break my run with lead bullet reloads.

6. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:headscratch: Well, I've got just two questions:

(1) Where does it say in the Glock manual NOT to use lead bullets?

(2) What do other pistol manufacturers with polygonal barrels have to say about lead?

7. LSP972

LSP972

HK also says no reloads/lead.

The theory behind WHY un-jacketed lead is bad in a polygonal bore is well-documented. The reality that a lot of folks get away with doing it simply means that if you feel like rolling the dice, go for it. One constant seems to be that, if you do it, you should diligently "clean out" the bore every 100 rounds or so to preclude any unplesantness. I prefer to clean my guns AFTER I shoot them; not during the range session.

I tried it, with the so-called "moly-coated" lead bullets, in my HK USP Compact .45. Leading was minimal, but accuracy was abysmal. So I went back to plated and/or jacketed.

Yes, these bullets are more expensive. But I'm still saving money over the cost of factory ammunition, and I have one thing less to worry about.

Your call...

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

[hijack]

Are you the same DHart who does the amazing photography? :)

[/hijack]

9. DHart

DHart

miss kitty... well... yeah... I think that's probably me... thank you for the compliment on my work! Here's my only Glock photography... my 29. Of course, I have since bought the 19 and just yesterday a 23, so I think I'll have to work up another little "photo" session. I'm being overcome by the "dark side". ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I can't imagine why you'd need an aftermarket barrel to shoot reloaded ammunition in your G19. Just don't shoot lead.

On the other hand, the chamber dimensions on my G23 are quite generous and I wouldn't shoot reloads in it with the Glock barrel.

P.S. Your guns make mine look like crap. :supergrin:

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

11. DHart

DHart

Happyguy.... I think you're right... I don't really need the LoneWolf barrel for my 19... stock barrel is perfectly fine... what I should do is swap the LoneWolf barrel for the 19 back for one to fit my new 23. The chamber dimensions in my new 23 are looser than my other 40 cal. pistol chambers and I wouldn't mind a little snugger chamber for my 23 as I shoot mostly reloads.

12. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

First Nikons, now Glock. You are doomed :rofl:

13. DHart

DHart

Miss Kitty... yes, I am a total convert now... with THREE Glocks so far! And I think a 20 is out there somewhere with my name on it... my 29 wants a big brother!

Hope your feeling better!

P.S. I was a Nikon guy for many years, but switched over to Canon about 14 years ago... they're both good systems, of course.

14. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Have you shot those glocks much yet? I know a lot of old timers (like me) have had a difficult time adjusting to the Glock trigger. 1911's and other sweet single action triggers can hide a lot of trigger control issues.

Also, how do you like the Lone Wolf Ultimate Trigger Stop on your G29?

Regards,

15. DHart

DHart

happyguy... I've got around 382 rounds through 29, about 640 through the 19 in the last two weeks and 127 through the 23 in the last two days. The Glock trigger is obviously not a huge favorite with most people... but with a 3.5# connector and swapping in a smooth-face trigger, and some practice, I've been able to shoot the guns pretty well. Of course I love the triggers on my 1911's and Hi-Powers (the Hi-Powers with Don William's trigger jobs!).

The Ultimate trigger stop is good... but I think you can do just as well with a Ghost Rocket 3.5# connector which will give you a little lighter trigger pull and a trigger stop all in one product.

16. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

DHart, I'm particularly interested in the Lone Wolf product because I have a number of different connectors available and I could swap them out until I find the combo that suits me best.

I've tried several different 3.5's and the 8.0's and mixed and matched springs and so far I've alays ended up back with a stock setup. I've never found a 3.5 connector that didn't feel a little too mushy for my tastes.

For me, I think the weakest part of the Glock trigger is excessive overtravel, though I am by no means certain about this. I am howerver, willing to experiment.

Enjoy!

Regards,

17. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Not feeling better, but thanks :)

I started out with Canon only because I did not like the way the Nikons felt in my hands. Either system is excellent though. My father has a 2020 and a couple pretty good pieces of glass so I am kicking around the idea of picking up an old body to play with his glass; because I like to tinker with settings he strokes out when I touch his camera so I don't touch it often :rofl:

Oh, I want several more Glocks, a Kimber and...and...and... I went a more thought out approach to guns: I bought my first (G23) based on performance vs price vs power vs reliability vs comfort. If I had it to do over again, I would do the same, if buying under the same needs. Later, if I want a bigger hole, I would go with a .45 or 9mm for cheaper ammo or 10mm just to play :supergrin: