reloading 9mm with rem.6-1/2 primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by owtlaw, Jan 27, 2013.

1. owtlaw

owtlaw

Have any of you tried this? How well did it work? How much did you have to reduce your load?

2. Kentguy

Kentguy

Owtlaw,

Your Small Rifle primer will typically be hotter than your Small Pistol primer. If I'm not mistaken I have read somewhere that the compound used in Remington's Small Pistol Mag primer and Small Rifle primer are the same. What that translates into is perhaps 20-30 fps more for your average 9mm load. So, knowing that if you choose to load small rifle primers, reduce your loads accordingly and work up.

Some other forums have discussed this topic, might be worth your time to check these out as well.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-566585.html

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=290993

good luck and be safe

3. dougader

dougader

I've used small rifle primers for handgun loads, but not the RP 6-1/2. I've used the WSR and CCI 400 primers.

If you are running a max load, I'd back off to a mid-range load and work up from there.

My use of small rifle primers in handgun rounds has been with rounds where they are suggested, i.e., 9x23 Winchester and 327 Federal mag. I also experimented with small rifle primers when I tried HS-6 in 9mm to try and get rid of excess unburned powder.

4. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

The Remington 6 1/2 primer is the weakest and thinnest rifle primer of them all. I use them in 38 Super and sometimes in 9 mm.

5. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

THIS.

The 6-1/2 is intended (according to Remington) SOLELY for the .22-Hornet.

Treat it like any small pistol primer.