Reloaded/appropriate ammo

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MediaMan, Jan 11, 2010.

1. MediaMan

MediaMan

My son took a job bartending and closing a drinking establishment in a large American city, in a so-so neighborhood. There was always a chance that something unhappy might happen at the end of the evening, so he started carrying his SS .40 (with a nod and a wink from the local LEO's with whom he was friends).

I transferred a KT P-11 to him, suggesting that the extra 3 rounds might be important. For no good reason, I didn't send along any ammo. He showed me the mag tonight, stocked with very worn and very mixed reloaded ammo from a friend, not one round of which was the same height as the other. I immediately confiscated that lot and dug a box of Winchester WB FMJ out of the stash for his use (I've used WWB FMJ in my own P-11 very successdully).

Dad's rule: never use reloaded ammo and never mix ammo brands in any magazine for a gun used as SD or HD.

Am I right or wrong?

2. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

I use reloaded ammo in my G29 carry gun. I carefully hand loaded every round, I am not too worried about ammo generated malfunctions. The only reason I use my own handloads is because that is the only way I can afford a thorough function check with a certain ammo in 10mm. The legal ramifications of handloads vice manufactured ammo seems to be a moot point if your life really depends on it.

3. AA#5

AA#5

Any professional in the field will tell you why handloads are a bad idea & it has nothing to do with reliability.

The circumstances (upon which your freedom may depend) have to be easily repeatable during the evidence gathering process. Handloads add an undesirable variable & make it harder to verify your statements about what happened.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

In many cases hand-loads equal or are better ammo than store bought.

I think reloaded ammo may make a difference where you live if you have to use your gun in a defense shooting. In Texas I use hand-loads in some guns but in some other states I probably would not.

In any case using the junk hand-loads you describe isn't a good idea.

IMO using a FMJ 9mm also isn't a good idea because of over penetration. Although from the short barrel P-11 that might not be as bad a problem as with a longer barrel 9mm.
    I've got a P-11 but haven't done any penetration tests with it.

5. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Here we go again. There are NO cases of a person involved in a clean shoot who was convicted for handloads.

6. BadAndy

BadAndy

I don't know what city/state your son is in but if they don't have concealed weapon permits then he had better plan on spending time in jail if caught carrying it and even worse if he has to shoot someone while carrying it. A wink and a nod is not how things are done any more.

About the ammo..

There's nothing wrong with reloaded ammo as long as the loader is competent. It sounds like your kid got ammo from someone that thinks they know what they're doing. If he's not going to load his own ammo then he needs to hit up the local gun shops or Wal-Mart for some.