Reloaded Ammo

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Boots2150, Mar 25, 2020.

1. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

WOW! LOL! Gary (a.k.a. The Human Manual) is an idiot. Taterhead and Uncle Bob don't know what they are talking about. Okay...

2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Wow calling Gary Kieft Sales Manager of Dillon the guy you go to if you have a problem or question that the technical staff can’t answer or help you with an idiot.

3. Bluescot

Bluescot

I guess I do disagree with those that run large batches and never check the specs on the powder or any equipment changing during a run.

Hey lads Keep doing it your way and I'll keep doing it my way. Stay safe.

4. ak103k

ak103k

Not sure how powder would change during a run, unless maybe you werent paying attention.

My equipment doesnt, and I verify/check things before I start each batch. Ie., verify the powder in the measure, check the throw weight on a scale.

If you spot check the weights and verify the depth in the cases at the end, how are you not checking? Even if you dont weigh, just comparing the depths in the cases, its very easy to see if something isnt right.

I have a couple of buddies who load one round at a time, throw the charge and seat the bullet. We have the same discussions, and they claim their way is best too. At least I have a couple of verification checks before the bullet gets seated. If they dont pay close attention at the start, verify the set up, look in each and every case after its thrown, etc, they will never know if theres a problem.

Their way is really no different than a progressive press either if you think about it.

I loaded about a bazillion rounds on an early Lee progressive when they first came out, at least until it broke. The only time Ive ever had issues with cases not getting powder, or the right amount of powder, were with that press. It was rare, but it happened. Theres so much going on with the progressives with that pull of the handle, that you really need to be paying a lot of attention. And its not at all hard to lose focus.

Im not opposed to getting another progressive, and for 9mm, I probably ought to, as much of that that I load a year, but, I just find the single-stage presses less stressful and more relaxing. Changing calibers is a lot easier too.

5. 5.45 Shooter

5.45 Shooter

I don't reload for others & I don't shoot others reloads.

FullClip likes this.
  6. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

You should have lead with that instead of calling a couple of highly respected members dumb. At this point I couldn't careless what you do or say. Lads. You sure are pompous.

7. unclebob

First of all I have no idea on what press you load on. Nore do I care if you weigh every round or any number you so chose to check.
    Yes when I first started in reloading I would keep checking the powder throw. Then after a couple of years finally realized that the powder amount never changed. The only thing that would change was the COL when using cast lead lubed bullets. And time to clean the dies. If you start and make sure everything is tight and using witness marks on the dies. To tell if anything came loose Also visually check the powder drop before placing a bullet on the case and also using powder check dies either the Dillon or the Double Alpa. I also if anything goes wrong in the reloading process and I have to pull cases out of the press. Any case that has powder in it gets dumped. Or even If I want to just check the powder weight throw, that powder or case with powder does not back into the press. In my opinion people that pull cases then put them back in the press are also the ones that have squibs or double charged loads.Or a press if you double stroke the press or have or the old stype or modified a dillon press then you can have a double charge. But then you are not looking inside of the case before placing a bullet.

8. Bluescot

Bluescot

You seem to have me confused with someone else who cares about your opinion.

Stay safe.

9. unclebob

Since you think that I’m an idiot and know nothing about reloading. Please click on my avatar and when the box comes up hit the ignore.button. I’m sure a lot of others on here would not mind either if you hit their ignore button also.

10. Bluescot

Bluescot

Whoa there.............my last post was addressed to your buddy George Kaplan, but if you want me to ignore you................OK

11. Tvov

Tvov

So, in conclusion, the answer is Yes, Maybe, and No.

lol