Relief for Mosquito Bite Itching and Swelling....Tip.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all,

I found a great bit of information for those like me that suffer from mosquito bites. I get the whelps and they itch like crazy and the more I scratch, the more they itch. I've never found a decent solution until now. I found it on some obscure site I was on reading about air rifles or something.

After you get bit and can feel the itch or the red whelps start coming up, go and get yourself some VICKS VAPO RUB and liberally put it on and around the bite. In about 30 mnutes or less, you won't have any more trouble with the bite. It'll be like it never happened.

I was skeptical of it when I read it. I get bit all the time here outside of Houston. Mosquito's are BAD here. I HATE them too cause they target me something fierce. After reading that, on that night I got hit 4 or 5 times on my legs and one of them was a BIG bite. It had swelled up bigger than I had seen one do in a long time. I went right for the VAPO RUB and gave it a try hoping it would work. I put it on the BIG, BAD bite first and in about 30 minutes not only was the itch gone, the swelling was also gone too. I was AMAZED. Now I keep a jar of it handy for when one sneaks through my defenses of DEET.

The funny thing about it is that the author of the article said that she got the remedy from her boyfriends mom in Costa Rica. She said the woman told her that down there they didn't have much medicine available to them so they used VICK VAPO RUB for just about everything. I then remembered something my Mom told me about her childhood. She grew upwith 8 brothers and sisters and they didn't have much money at all. IN fact they were poor and in living in rural West Virginia. I checked with her to make sure I had the information right that she told me years ago about her Mom and growing up and not having medicines or the ability to go to a doctor or hospital. She said her Mom used the Vapo Rub for all kinds of things too and when they got sick of a variety of ailments, her Mom would make the kids EAT a spoonful of it! I verified it and my Mom said she had to eat MANY spoonfuls of it when she was a kid.

Nalajr

2. Ricky Ricardo

Ricky Ricardo Incorrigible

Interesting, thanks.

When I was a kid my mother also used Vick's for many things.

3. automatic slim

automatic slim Former "Walmart Shopper"

GlockandKimberlady had the hot spoon trick, and it works!
    Hold a spoon under the hot water tap until it's nice and hot, and then apply to the bite. Do it a couple times. I guess it burns off the poison.

You learn something new every day. :)

4. JLA

JLA

Yep... Only I use a cigarette, or a match, or something hot that's concentrated in 1 spot and get it close to the bite. Not on the bite but close. It will itch like a you know what for a couple seconds but the relief you get is priceless.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Fire Ants are bad around here. I got about seven stings on my hand and wrist a couple weeks ago. Bothered me and itched like crazy for three days and nights. I wonder if Vicks will work on them.

7. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

It apparently destroys the protein that causes the histamine reaction that makes you itch. And it feels damned good once you get past the burn!

8. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

9. JLA

JLA

Heat gun! lol

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  10. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Vicks also works well on topical fungal infections, like ringworm, jock itch, athletes foot, and even works on the toe nail fungus. Bedbound people can get an infection in the tailbone area, truck drivers call it "monkey butt." Again Vicks works well.

"The Doctors Book of Home Remedies" has lots of great suggestions. Preppers especially could benefit. There's even a pet version. Look on Amazon for the most recently published.

11. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    That's the CA. in you wanting to save water. :supergrin:

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

"Ma say you can put a knife under the bed and it cuts the pain in two."

13. automatic slim

14. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

15. nursetim

nursetim

I read that the I discoverer of petroleum jelly ate a spoon full daily.

Did the eating the Vicks help your mother?

16. automatic slim

17. Dave514

Dave514

Works great on skeeter bites, burns, cuts,....pretty much anything irritating like that. Camphor, menthol and eucalyptus oil is great. I grew up with similar....

[​IMG]

18. Adjuster

Adjuster

So I went to Amazon to check out Vicks as I havent seen any since I was a little kid. Lots of complaints that Vicks is no where near as strong as it used to be. Lots of recommendations to go to Walgreens and get the Walgreens brand as it is original strength like the old days.

/

19. Dragline

Dragline

I'm a mosquito magnet.
    I got a prescription from my doc for 2.5% hydrocortisone cream which works quite well on all sorts of itchy bug bites or hives.
    The funny thing is that this cream is in the $4 drug plan which makes it cheaper than the OTC stuff which is much weaker.

20. FAS1

FAS1

Me too! I try to prevent those little suckers from getting me to begin with. My wife never gets bitten and every day she moisturizes her skin with plain old coconut oil. She always told me that it is a natural repellent. We had an unusually wet Spring this year the mosquitos were almost unbearable so when I ran out of OFF I tried it. It works great for me and is very inexpensive in a large jar from Sam's or Costco. Not to mention my skin is softer and I smell delicious!
    [​IMG]