close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reliability: Beretta vs. Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Alicia28, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Alicia28

Alicia28 Big customer.

All I hear is how Glocks are indestructible and never fail and that no other gun even comes remotely close to its reliability etc. etc. Well I wanted to know what everyone's opinion and knowledge is about how Beretta stacks up against Glock in reliability, longevity, durability, and quality. What do you think?

Alicia

PS - Would you trust a Beretta with your life on the line as you would with a Glock, etc.??

2. theberettaman

theberettaman

Any top tier firearm would be welcome in my holster as long aas I shot it well.Some models don't fit some hands.It's all about being comfortable with the "feel" of the gun.We all may have our preferences. :)

3. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

A Beretta 92FS was my first gun back in 1998, when I was 14. The only reason I begged my parents for it, was because the military used it. I liked the idea of a safety, high capacity, accurate, reliable, and well crafted. Glocks were also on my list, but everybody had those. My Beretta, a great gun with thousands (I lost count) of rounds through it over the years, has been flawless. It shows some wear from holstering, a couple dints here and there. The blue has come off in some areas due to normal wear-and-tear, but I just lube the moving parts to keep them moving. My white-dot sights are more 'yellow' now. Besides that, it works great. I use factory mags only. I did replace my recoil spring just as preventative maintenance. Every now and then I have a bad bullet or failure to feed, but it's easily fixed by a rack-of-the-slide. I did have a minor rust issue on the grip after I didn't clean it for awhile, but I solved that by dah! cleaning it. I'm not parting with my Beretta. Not just because its my first gun, it's also because it's so reliable. I've thought about buying the new Vertec or 90Two, but mine works just fine!

As far as Glocks go, I've had the same reliability. Of course I haven't owned them, nor shot them, as much. I have had a one failure to feed on my G37 that I think was limp wristing. My G19 (bought earlier in year) has been flawless. I have yet to "extensively" clean my Glock 37. Guys at the gunshop laughed at me when I asked how often I should clean it. They said jokingly, "NEVER!". I can't just leave it dirty, so I clean the barrel well and just wipe off all other debris and lube the slide rails. Polymer may look and feel cheap, but it's miraculous that it works.

Comparing the two brands... I carry my Glock 37 or Glock 19 when I leave the house. My Beretta is just too heavy for carry. I can conceal the 92, but Glocks are just easier. The 92 grip always felt "funny" to me. I have large hands, but it felt awkward. Both my Glocks feel better in my hand, but still not perfect. My complaint on my Glocks is that when my hands are wet or sweaty, the grips are slippery. My Glocks, to me especially the G37 .45GAP, also seem to be snappier than the 92. So, I put a Hogue wrap-around on the G37 to solve that issue. G19 doesn't move enough to need one. Plus, weight and ammo wise, 15-rounds of 9x19 is more comfortable in the small package of a G19 compared to the Beretta. Also, I like how my G19 can use 15rd mags, 17rd, and 33rd. Lastly, I like the 92's trigger pull of the SA, but still cringe with the DA. I really like Glocks 5.5lb pull.

I love all my guns. Can't really pick Beretta v. Glock. Both have been great guns for me. As far as choosing them for concealed carry, I lean toward Glocks for weight , ease of getting into action (no safeties to mess with), and constant trigger pull. All ammo feeds through them, but I haven't used very much +P or +P+ in my Beretta since it's recommended not to. All are very accurate. Both are great and proven designs, it just comes down to preference and purpose of use.

4. crowkiller

crowkiller Got Liver?

I prefer Glock but have nothing against my inox 92fs.The main problem with the 92fs Ive seen has been magazine relatd so stick with factory or mec-gar and youll be fine.

5. isuzu

isuzu

In my experience, I find the Beretta/Taurus 92s more feed-reliable than Glocks. They'll feed on anything. Even crappy ammo.

That's why my wife asked for the PT92.;)

6. Sierra

Sierra Millennium Member

If the Beretta is kept clean and loaded with decent ammo there should be no problems. The same thing is true for the Glock.

On the other hand, if the pistol is dirty and you are shooting surplus Egyptian 9mm ammo I would rather have the Glock.

7. GLOCKMASTER

GLOCKMASTER Mean Ass

Until recently I carried a Beretta at work for over 18 years. I prefer a Glock over a Beretta anyday.

8. NewsShooter

NewsShooter

Glock, no thanks. There is NOTHING about them that I like enough to own one. Are they a good gun? Very much so. Better than a Beretta? I would say not.
    I suppose that if Glock were the side arm of the US Military, we Beretta owners would be throwing stones and doing our best to belittle Glock. So for now we'll just watch for the incoming and know that our Berettas have 500 years of quality history behind them. Can Glock say that?

9. Yamadad

Yamadad

Both are excellent firearms, but I'd say the Glock has the edge over Beretta. :wedgie:

I think the durability of the Glock is somewhat overrated, but it clearly is a very rugged well designed gun. Fewer parts, easier and cheaper to repair. Lighter, more compact (full size vs full size). My Glock is far more accurate than my Beretta.

I have trusted my life to both, but prefer the Glock.

10. NewsShooter

NewsShooter

I'm glad that both have served you well.
    My question to you is this; In what way does the Glock have the edge? Personal experience or just a guess.
    I have never owned a Glock, but have shot them many times, and for my money I'll keep my Berettas. Why? In several years of USPSA/IPSC shooting, my 92FS and 92G Elite have never ever failed. During that time I have seen many Glock failures, including one KABOOM!
    In reality all guns will eventually fail if you shoot them enough. If not for the simple reason that they are built by humans and maintained by the same.

11. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

I own both a G17 and a 92fs. I think Glock's tennifer process is a bit more sturdy then Beretta's coating, but reliability wise, they are both tanks. You really need to be shooting crappy ammo or beat the hell out of the gun to make either of them not run well.

12. Alicia28

Alicia28 Big customer.

Why do you suppose that Glocks don’t have any manual safeties, while practically every Beretta model has a safety and decocker? I think Glocks would be much more attractive and sell more units if they at least had it as an option, like Beretta does. With Beretta's, you can get them either with the safety or you can get them without them. I think Glock should at least have that option for the consumer, especially with the light trigger they have and Glocks reputation for having more accidental firing than anyone else.
    Alicia :) :laughabove: :laughabove: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

13. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Alicia28,

Glock owners know if you don't pull the trigger the gun doesn't go boom.

Safeties can fail, stick or in a high stress situation, pull the trigger and nothing happens.

I believe the Glocks are for the advance shooter.

Safeties just get in the way.

(Years ago I carried a department issued 92f. Fine gun, shoots beautifully. But lots of guys on the range pulled that gun out and all you'd hear is nothing.... Glocks are my choice, and a lot of departments now too.)

Jim

14. Alicia28

Alicia28 Big customer.

I see your point about the safety getting in the way, but the beauty of a safety is you can always leave it off. Or if you hate even having a safety, then buy a model without a safety. Glock doesn’t even give buyers that option. Many customers and thousands of police have to have aftermarket crummy safeties put on them, which isn’t nearly as good as if Glock did it themselves (although Glock says it doesn’t void their warranty).

If Glock is for the "advanced shooter" then an awful lot of advanced shooters have accidentally shot themselves and others more than any other gun manufacturer.

Alicia

15. martinglock

martinglock I DON'T PLAY

GLOCK = PERFECTION

Enough said.

16. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

"Thousands" of police departments have not had safeties added to Glocks. There's the Cominolli, which I would not use myself. And it's barely been out a couple years. I have yet to hear of one dept adopting a modified Glock. If they wanted safeties, they'd get an LEM trigger USP (similar idea, with a safety) or something else.

The Glock was specifically designed for military use, carried round chambered in a good holster, so that all you had to do was squeeze the trigger.

Nothing else. Safeties can be accidentally applied when carried off safe, or you can forget it's on (I have seen this happen in more than one shooting captured on video).

17. Alicia28

Alicia28 Big customer.

I never said that. I said thousands of police, not police departments, and yes, thousands of police have had the safety added to the Glock, that’s what Alex Hamilton told me, who is a very well respected and known gunsmith, and I don’t think he is lying. And he is just one gunsmith among many who install the Glock safety. He told me he has put safeties on for many police departments as well as for people in the military. I spoke to another gunsmith in Indiana, who also installs the Glock safety, and he said that most of the people he installs the Glock safety for is police, having done well over a thousand himself. They have become very popular due to all of the accidental discharges that happen with Glocks, which is also why the New York trigger was made as well. Just today I saw a video of a firearms instructor teaching a gun safety class when the instructor accidentally shot himself in the foot with his own Glock 17. Now remember this is a firearms instructor who is an expert on guns and gun safety, and even he accidentally shot himself with a Glock. I'm not saying that if his Glock has a safety he wouldn’t have shot himself, but at least he would have had the option to turn it on.

Yes, but very unlikely. For example, the Beretta 92's safety doesn’t switch on and off with a light push, it takes a substantial push to engage it on and off. Plus to turn off the safety you have to click upwards, making it very unlikely to have it turn off during firing since any accidental movement would likely be in the downward direction. That is why Beretta designed it that way.

Sure you can forget its on, just as you can forget there is a bullet in the chamber and shoot someone accidentally, or shoot yourself accidentally like the firearms instructor did. I would rather have a gun accidentally not fire than accidentally fire. If someone is about to enter a dangerous situation, like a police officer, they are going to make sure they know whether their safety is on or not. Every cop I know checks their gun before they even go out on patrol.

Alicia

http://tenring.com/svclist.html#Glock

http://www.cominolli.com/intropage.html[B

18. MrMurphy

Some people carry with it on, and don't train a lot. So they forget it's on.... and get shot when they get no bang.

I have seen the safety apply itself, myself. Rub the wrong way against a piece of gear and it'll happen.

Anyone shooting themself with a Glock just committed a cardinal sin of firearms safety, and should NOT be an instructor. Finger off trigger unless on target. And this applies safety, NY trigger or not. Safeties can break, and the NY trigger was developed as an anti-training trigger, because NY cops carried revolvers and were used to a heavy trigger, and leaving their finger on the trigger "safely" (which it is not). Rather than train the cops to do what they're supposed to do anyways.... they got a heavier trigger.

Not all Berettas had slide mounted "up to fire" safeties, it was copied from the Walther P38 and PP/PPk (which the Beretta lockworks is basically copied from for DA). Some had frame mounted safeties like 1911s. I'm not anti-safety, but the Glock was designed for people with brains, who know to keep their finger off the trigger.

19. Alicia28

Alicia28 Big customer.

If Glocks were designed for people with brains, then how come so many Glock owners have shot themselves/others with them?

I wasn’t talking about all Berettas if you read my post, I was only talking about the 92, which if you have used then you know that the safety cant be engaged by only being brushed lightly against a piece of clothing, it takes a concerted intentional effort to engage the safety, and to have it engage by hitting an object you would have to hit that object pretty darn hard.

Alicia :tongueout: :rofl: :tongueout: :rofl: :tongueout:

20. MrMurphy

I carry an M9 on a duty belt, not concealed, and the safety CAN be accidentally engaged without the carrier knowing by bumping a piece of equipment just right. I've seen it myself at a clearing barrel, the guy (more than one) comes up, inserts weapon into the barrel, drops the mag and looks down to safe it and goes "oh"... it had safed itself sometime during the day and he hadn't checked.

I recheck that it's on "fire" anytime I adjust my duty belt when I carry an M9, just in case.