close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Releasing slide lock while empty can damage?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BigDan35, Apr 6, 2010.

1. BigDan35

BigDan35

I picked up my new gun today: Glock 23

After going through the Safe Handling Demonstration, the salesman gave me some tips and advice. One of the things he said is that there are two ways of releasing the slide after it has been locked back.

1) Pushing down on the slide lock, enabling the slide to go forward

2) Manually pulling the slide back and letting it go forward.

He informed me that either way is fine, but if the gun is empty...never to use the first method (pushing down on the slide lock to let the slide go forward) he said if the gun is empty then it could get damaged by doing that.

he told me why, but he was going into technical terms and I'm a newbie to guns so I didn't know what he meant. Anyways, is this true?

2. crushproof

crushproof

i'm not sure if this is true also, i hope not because i am guilty of doing that letting the slide go on an empty chamber. but my friend who owns a dan wesson 1911 said not to do it when he let me handle it. i guess on 1911's it's bad, not sure on glocks.

ps.: congrats on the 23:) i love mine ;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010

3. BigDan35

BigDan35

Thank you! Can't wait to buy some ammo for her and start shootin'!

4. W4CNG

W4CNG

Been doing it on all my Glocks since 1991. Never a problem. Old wives tale still going around on the Internet.....

5. tinman517

tinman517

Either method should be fine. Personally, I prefer to release the slide manually.

6. fsqridah

fsqridah

Neither will hurt your Glock. Glock recommends the slingshot method (pulling the slide back to release it) whenever conducting a reload with the slide locked back. This is to ensure the slide has enough momentum to push the first round all the way into the chamber. Some have had rounds hang up on the feed ramp when pushing the slide lock down, but I never had. Keep in mind that if you ramp the magazine hard enough into the mag well, it can cause the slide to drop on its own, which will chamber a round. So if you seat the mag really hard and the slide drops, assume your gun is hot.

1911s are the ones you should never drop the slide on unless there is a loaded mag already in place. Being that they use a primitive trigger system, letting the slide drop jars the gun hard enough to eventually work things loose. Something you can do on a 1911 is squeeze the trigger and hold it while you drop the slide. This firms up the trigger components and keeps them safe. If the gunsmith that assembled your 1911 did not do a good job, the sear could be off and pulling the trigger back will not keep the components from being damaged. However, if the trigger job was bad, at some point it'll break anyway. All of what I've said about 1911s means don't drop the slide, period, regardless of how you do it. Gently lower it down, unless of course you're conducting a reload with a fresh mag and the slide locked back.

I'm not sure why he said not to drop the slide on an empty chamber by pushing down the slide stop. Sure, it's better to err on the side of caution, but it's a Glock. These guns can take a beating.

7. ChrisTKHarris

ChrisTKHarris I like to shoot

8. megatronz0r

megatronz0r pew pew pew

ive done it on my 1911 forever no signs of any damage what so ever, i almost never pull back on the slide.

9. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

With a little practice, you can drop the slide on your Glock without touching it or the slide stop lever, just slam a loaded mag home.

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

I think most of you have misread the OP's concern. He is talking about an empty gun. No rounds and no or empty magazine. Will letting the slide slam shut somehow damage the gun?

11. skyugo

skyugo

i'd dropped mine on an empty chamber many times. i really don't see how it could hurt it. there's really not much you can do with your bare hands to damage a glock.

12. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

Actually, you can damage the breach face. It cracks. Butch will be here shortly to show you the photos.

"Have a great gun carrying, Kenpo Day!"

Capt

13. Glockphobia

Glockphobia NOT!

i aint going to say it wont,but, ive released any of my slides on many of my glocks many of times with an empty chamber. afterall, how you suppose to DRYFIRE if you cant release the slide.

14. WGO55

WGO55 Lifetime Member

I always ease my slide closed when empty.

I'm not debating whether or not it may eventually cause damage, I just can't see stressing the firearm that way unnecessarily.

Now, that said, I also dry fire frequently without using a snap-cap.

So what was I saying about not stressing the firearm unnecessarily? :shocked:

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Use the slide release or sling shot to load a cartridge into the chamber.

Debatable on letting a slide slam closed on a Glock's EMPTY chamber.
    It is VERY bad on a 1911.

Do you slam your car door every time you close it?

16. guns54

guns54 toni

i know it was bad on my 45 AMT hardballar, got it new, sent it back for repair and never did it again. over 25 years ago. still have it ,put back in the box, and never shot it again.

17. jdodd

jdodd

I had to actually stop and think what I do.

I always ease the slide if its empty...no reason just what I do naturally.

-J

18. jhertzler

jhertzler

I have heard from an experienced gun dealer and repairman that it is not good to drop a slide (hard, like by using slide release) on an empty chamber. It is likely to hammer the breach face and eventually result in the slide moving permanently forward on the frame. This may or may not be true of Glocks. I avoid doing it. You also should not drop a slide on a round in the chamber (not out of the magazine). This can be very stressful on the extractor.

19. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I'm a 1911 guy...safe or not on a Glock, I'm too used to not letting the slide slam down on an empty chamber.

I've done it many times with my Glocks, but every time I do...that little voice in my head says, "you better not do this on any of your 1911s!".

DH

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  20. GOA Guy

GOA Guy

A 1911 with a good trigger should never be allowed to slam shut on an empty chamber, that nicely polished sear gets battered. It is even advisable to hold the trigger back when dropping the slide on a full magazine. When one fires a 1911 he is holding the trigger back during cycling thus doing the same thing. While far from being some sort of expert gunsmith/engineer/firearms designer I can't imagine any semi-automatic pistol being designed with the intent that it be slammed shut on an empty chamber on a regular basis. If someone is looking over one of my pistols and does so they will never handle it again what ever it may be.