close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reinstalling Windows XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Glockman67, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Hey all,

Everytime I run the chkdsk /f function, after the scan and when WinXP loads, it locks up within a minute. When I restart and hit F8 to get options I select Debugging mode. It then tells me that my ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or corrupt. I have tried swapping it out from a good file from the driver cache and it did not work. So my only course of action is to reinstall Windows XP.

From my recovery CD, how do I reinstall the correct way without losing the data files on my hard drive? My options are to Upgrade or do a "new installation".

TIA, gman67

2. wolfpack_5150

wolfpack_5150 Apple Pi Monstr

Take it you havent backed up your files lately? If you cant because windows wont load, even in safe mode maybe you can "upgrade" then copy needed files. If that works I suggest doing a clean install because a full install is always better than an upgrade.

3. pyblood

pyblood

You may be able to do repair install. Just boot from the CD and go through the prompts like you are going to do a clean install. After pressing F8 to agree to the MSFT BS it will search for previous versions of Windows. Just highlight your XP install and choose repair. That will keep your data and programs intact and hopefully fix that error that you’re getting.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

+1 for py's advice.

You will be prompted for the Product Key, though, just as if it was a new install. Have it handy.

Otherwise, nothing (but the error going away) should change.

Good luck!