Regional Food Question?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DR. HOUSE, Feb 12, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Thats pretty fair pricing, how much for groung 80/20?
    Generally around $1.88 a lb here.

2. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

I'm in Maine. An organization I belong to has a Summer Lobster Cookout every year. A couple of guys have relatives with Lobster boats on the coast and travel down to buy direct off the boat. Regular 1.5 lb lobsters were $7 each, we bring back 150 and boil 'em up.

I'm not a big fan of ocean roaches (like a underwater buzzard) so I grill a steak from the local market. About ten years ago that started 'em wanting steak and lobster....

3. Westicle

Westicle Canadian... Eh

figure a nice 8oz rib eye steak is about $8 cdn at the grocery store.... chicken is fairly exepensive, say $10 for 2-3 skinless/boneless breasts..... at Kentucky Fried Chicken a 10 pack of just chicken costs $18.99, steak dinner in a restaurant for a nice 8 oz isaround $16-$20 cdn.

4. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

That shrimp is CHEAP!!

We pay $8-$10 for shrimp here in nebraska and its the frozen crap.

5. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Holy Bazooka JOE!!!

The chicken is outrageous there!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  6. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

My company has the contract for delivering to KFC's here in New England. I don't know about Canada, but you wouldn't believe how much they pay for thier chicken here! On today's invoice for a KFC I delivered to on the North Shore in Mass:

8 pc. marinated chicken was $.8409/lb
    Dark meat was $.5293/lb
    (F'd if I know what the fractions of a penny are for)

And they average about 50 lbs per case.

7. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

Don't know, but I'll find out tomorrow when I order some 85/15 :supergrin:

8. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

I don't have a plethora of wonderful things to say about SE CT. But, the seafood is significantly above average in quality, and below average in price. We see lobsters as low as $3.99/lb on occasion. Rock crabs are around a buck and a half each. Mussels are $2.99/lb, oysters are $10/doz, steamers are $2/lb, littlenecks are $5/doz.
    Fresh flounder, cod, and haddock are around $6/lb. Sword and the best scallops ever are $12. Yellowfin is $14. Squid is $2.99.

Tonight's menu was rice flour dusted calamari with ginger-wasabi sauce and watercress. This was followed by Littlenecks in a parmesan, piquillo pepper, and italian sausage cream with rustic italian bread for dipping. I'm finishing the leftover sauvignon blanc as I type.

9. shavedape

shavedape

Are you talking the prices one pays in a restaurant or does that include the price in grocery stores?

Let's just say that I'm within driving distance to Chicago if I want dinner there, but I live in a different state. ;) I straddle both worlds when it comes to being able to get good food at the store or at an upscale place. In town here at the ancient and uber cool steak house that is located within the ghetto (seriously, it was there before it became a ghetto) you pay $40 for the tenderloin filet--and no, it's not filet mignon, but it is the size of a small child's head and will last you for days--AND it's ALWAYS cooked to perfection.

As for store prices, well, I just picked up some filet mignon for 21.99 a lb. I also snagged some huge crab legs today for a special of $8.99 a lb.

I've eaten steak from NY to CA and I, too, find it lacking on both coasts. There's something about the Midwest where we demand and expect good steak. I've also had the vaunted Maine lobster and it wasn't all that. The frozen stuff is just as good here and the price is pretty much the same. I think the whole East Coast lobster thing is fast becoming a myth, especially since lobster comes from all over the world now.

Also, the Midwest is big on bakery, everything from varied cakes to bread, all made fresh. When I've traveled to other parts of the country, notably CA, there seems to be alot less in the way of appreciation for good bakery. NYC does appreciate good bakery and you can find some good stuff there, but in CA it must be a health thing or something the way they are averse to it. At least the Mexicans are good at baking otherwise CA wouldn't have anything.

And God forbid you want to get hot ham and rolls on Sunday morning in anywhere but Wisconsin. Regional yes, but oh so good!

10. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

I think that the price of Lugar's beef is driven way up by the wet aging process used to make the beef so tender and tasty. Wet aging usually takes 28-30 days, and is done in tightly controlled conditions of temperature and humidity. Fresh beef will be good to eat, but not heavenly.

11. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Hey man, your making me drool!!!

If any of you want to send me some fresh sea food via ups, I would gladly exchange that for a nice cut of usda steak.

Offers open to anyone on the coast!

12. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Thats nuts man!

The baking part. There are lots of old polish and czech and bohemian ladies here that can bake up a storm!

13. elsolo

elsolo

About the same price as any other major metropolitan area in the US, $30+ just for the steak, the sides are separate and they'll get you $10 for a pile of green beans.
    That's what you can expect at a fancy restaurant, high prices and small portions with a wine list that has bottles that cost more than what I make in a weeks wages.

14. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Offer is still open for an exchange of fresh sea food for fresh steak to all of you coastal people.

15. elsolo

elsolo

Being located in the heart of production has it's advantages.
    The coasts also have a higher immigrant population, there are 100X as many Mexican restaurants in socal as there are steakhouses. We have good Thai food, and every other ethnic food imaginable though.

We have little specialty bakeries, but certainly lots more panaderias. There are also the various other ethnic bakeries that sell all sorts of great fresh baked breads and pastries. It's not like they are on every street corner like Starbucks however.

I am a big bread fan, I love all types of bread except for pan baked bread; I need a crust. I work in a large commercial bakery that makes all types of specialty breads. That has spoiled me so much, I almost require bread that's hot from the oven (regular breads: rye, sourdough, sheepherders, pumpernickle, Italian rolls, baguettes, that kind of thing)

Oh yeah:
    Red meat is like totally bad for you, you should only eat soy. Besides, meat is murder, are those leather shoes you're wearing!
    Bread is like all carbs, and they will make you fat. If I gain any more weight you won't be able to see the ribs in my chest through a sweater. :rofl:

16. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

You forgot something important, if its from Cal, It may cause cancer!

17. elsolo

elsolo

I'm surprised they haven't mandated Prop-65 (cancer warning) tattoos on everybody's foreheads yet.

There are substances known to cause cancer present in detectable amounts in my body, I just ate some red meat and had a cigarette.

18. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

I figure that in NYC, you are going to pay more for almost everything, just because it is NYC.

19. shavedape

shavedape

True. That's one thing about CA, great Asian food. I always get sushi when in CA because it's ubiquitous but I never get it back in the Midwest. I wouldn't trust it to be fresh here.

20. hpracing007

hpracing007

I think it really depends on the restaurant you go to... You can go to somewhere like Red Lobster and get a lobster meal for like... $30?

We went to this one expensive restaurant for a sales meeting, the market price for whole lobster that night was $10/oz.