close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Regional Food Question?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DR. HOUSE, Feb 12, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

A while back, a guy from our town was visiting relatives in NYC. He said a steak up there was uber expensive and a lot of it was fat. By expensive, im talking at least three times as much as youd expect to pay for a steak in nebraska. Guessing somewhere between $25-$40 for maby an 8 oz steak as to where we would pay around $10.00 in a resturant.

(He shipped them some steak from a local butcher shop and they were astonished because they thought it would have costed hundreds)

Well I was curious, How much does a lobster, crab or sea food dinner cost you folks that live out by the coast? We dont really get a lot of sea food options here in nebraska, Red lobster is about it really.

A lobster dinner as somewhere around $25 if I remember correctly.

So how do the prices of different foods stack up across the U.S.A.?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I'm curious to know as well.

We had some friends visit from NYC a few years ago, and they ranted and raved over the quality of the pork and beef here in the midwest, and they took some home with them in a freezer bag.

Main lobster is only something I can dream about.

3. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

4. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

You can have some shipped..

http://www.peterluger.com/ourmeats.cfm

Or..

The room isn't handsome, street-slick, or even particularly welcoming. It recalls the kind of establishment that sports a banner running from beam to beam every year proclaiming !oktoberfest! The patrons may have come here straight from their booths at the Javits Center. The staff goes about its nonstop business with cordial if mechanical efficiency, serving onion-and-tomato salads, creamed spinach, and pasty fried potatoes. So why is it always more crowded than Toys 'R' Us on the weekend before Christmas? Because there are few gastronomic sensations that confirm the good life better than a hunk of a spectacular steak. And Peter Luger can broil and deliver one magnificently aged and marbleized two-finger-thick porterhouse after another with the unfailing certainty of Dustin Hoffman adenoidally reciting baseball scores. So don't even ask for a menu. Get big. Eat beef. — Hal Rubenstein

Extra
    Apply for your own Peter Luger credit card, or bring cash.

Recommended Dishes
    Steak for two, $81; steak for three, $124.50; steak for four, $166; creamed spinach, $8.95; sizzling canadian bacon, $2.95/slice

5. 78tsubaki

78tsubaki

Seafood prices in the Pacific Northwest are pretty reasonable for crab and salmon. There is a restaurant in Seattle called the Crabpot. Always a long line but once you are inside you get a feast poured out on your table for a fair price.
    The midwest rules for steak in my opinion. I imagine Texas is good too.
    Lobster in Maine is not cheap but it is goooood.

6. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Holly great gods of the cow!!!

I could literally FILL my freezer with home grown corn fed cow for the price you pay for about 10 of your steaks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  7. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

So whats a fair price, thats what im curious of.

8. 78tsubaki

78tsubaki

Prices for the feasts start at 15.95 a person and go up to 34.95 a person. We usually get the 24.95 a person feast "The Westport". It is loaded up with Crab, Shrimp, Clams and Mussels. They cook and load your table according to the number of people you bring. We took two friends visiting from Japan. You should have seen their eyes when they poured the food out onto the table. No leftovers that night.

9. elsolo

elsolo

The quality of beef and pork in rural areas in the midwest, from local butcher shops, is vastly superior to what is normally found in CA unless you go to a 4-star steakhouse.

Here in socal we have much better availability and pricing on good fruits and vegatables year round than much of the midwest; probably because the wintertime south american imports come through here on their way to the rest of the country.

10. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

so how much is a steak at a 4* resturant there?

11. Adams454

Adams454

In FL I can stuff myself with huge butterflied shrimp and fries and a salad with sweet tea for $12.95 any day of the week. It gets a little cheaper on the coast.

12. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I would love to see that part of the country for that reason alone. I've heard the fruits and veggies don't even taste the same as those we get here. Something about the natural sugars?

I've heard the there strawberries are to die for.

13. major

major Rejected member

I lived in Western Canada last year. We could not afford to buy cheese or chicken because it was so expensive. Here in Georgia, we eat chicken just about every day.

Hot dogs were also hard to find where we lived in Canada. Sometimes you would have to go to 2-3 stores to find hot dogs and a pack of buns.

Salmon, on the other hand, was plentiful......and cheap.

14. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

do you remember how much the chicken and cheese was?

15. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

In Houston, TX, one of the restaurant capitals of the US, and plenty of really good, and $$$$$$ type steakhouses, you will pay from $30 to $50 for steaks. 8 oz filet $30'ish and the big porterhouse in the $50 range. This is at the better "name" places. It is really good meat, too, all Prime stuff. At most of these places those are the prices for the steak only, usually, all the sides are separately priced.
    Seafood is abundant and really runs the gamut depending on the type of place you go to. At the nicer places, local Gulf seafood entrees will run in the $20/25 range. It really varies on the place you are in. But, you can get anything from maine lobster to Cajun, to Mexican, to Frenchy fancy continental with three little shrimps on a big plate in a white wine reduction sauce with truffle.....you know, all for only $45. Cajun chain restaurant, pretty good stuff, big platters of cajun seafood, take home baggy, for $25. Or, all the Tex-Mex enchiladas, rice and beans you can eat for $6.99.

16. major

major Rejected member

yeah, about three times what we normally paid here in Georgia.

17. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Ill stick to my 1 1/2" thick ribeye from the local butcher. Hard to beat for $7-$8 on the charcoal grill.

18. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

:shocked:

I work for a meat and provision delivery company, and I get my meats for less than whole sale price. Beef is pretty fresh, usually with a pack date of less than 5 days, and chicken is maybe a day or two. This guy's pricing is INSANE! For what he charges for 6.5 pounds of strip steak, I can buy 50 pounds, and cut it myself to whatever thickness I want! Creamed spinach for $8.95? A can of it at the grocery store is under $2.

How's this for pricing?

Strip steak- $4.50/lb
    Denuded Flap meat (steak tips)- $4.25/lb
    Whole peeled tender (fillet mignon)- $7.50/lb
    Top sirloin- $2.95/lb
    RIBEYE- $5.79/lb

And most of it comes from packing facilities in Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconson.

Thanks Peter Luger, but I'll just use my employee discount at my work! :wavey:

19. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Is chicken there the same in nebraska? About $4 for a whole chicken?

so 12-16 bucks a chicken in canada, wow.

Did they have KFC there?

20. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Shrimp is about $3-$3.50/lb on the Gulf Coast. I eat a lot of shrimp.

In Seattle I like Chinooks up in Magnolia, very good and fresh. Figure $10-$20 for salmon and chowder.

Steaks are what they are. A top end place will have good meat, or it won't stay in business long. I usually end up paying $30 (without booze) just about anywhere good.