close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

? Regarding installation of new DVD/CD Drive?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Redsnake, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Redsnake

Redsnake

I'm assuming it's a pretty straight forward procedure to install a new CD/DVD Drive in my Dell Dimension 8200... but are there any tricks you can give me?

I have replaced the Video card and that wasn't too hard, but never messed w/the CD.

Can I just add the new drive I've got on order as an E drive, or would I be better off replacing the current D Drive?

What would you do?

Thanks.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If you can replace a video card, you can replace a DVD drive.

If you've got a Grey ribbon cable attatched to your drive, make a note of where the "red" line is on the cable. Look on the back of the drive, and see where "Pin 1" is marked. That red line should be at Pin 1. If you don't have a grey cable, and the cable is round, just plug it in, and turn the PC on, if it doesn't work, turn the cable around... :)

I'm pretty sure the audio cable will only go on one way.

Now days, most of them only plug in 1 way, so there's no plugging them in backwards anymore.

[​IMG]

Edit: Just saw the second part of your post, You can install it alongside your current drive, but that will likely require you going to buy a new IDE cable that can connect two drives, setting one of the drives as Master, and one of the Drives as Slave(by the jumpers on the back). Most soundcards/motherboards, only have 1 sound output connection, so you'll have to make a decision on wether you want sound at your DVD drive, or CD drive, then connect the audio cable to said drive.

Personally, I'd just remove the old drive and install the new one.

This thread my help some
    http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=601359

IGF

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

One other suggestion, the Nero package that comes with that DVD player, sucks.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4055

Thats probably one of the best burning utilities there is, and its free. Definitely better than Nero if you ask me.

I can't remember the Movie Software that drive comes with...

IGF

4. Redsnake

Redsnake

Thanks SO much for the help!!! I think I'll just scrap the old one (or keep it as a back up) and rpelace w/the newer, faster, better, DVD drive. :D

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Thats probably what I would do.... No reason to keep the other drive unless you're just a packrat. :) As cheap as they are, they're almost disposable.

IGF

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Your Dell most likely already has the proper cable for two drives.They should be set to "cable select" or "cs".This should be their default setting so no need to change them.Just double check the jumper settings.The Dell 8200 comes with extra green plastic strips to mount the drives.There are long ones and short ones.They are a bit tricky to unhook.Just grab the top handle of them and pull out and up.The drives come out by squeezing in on the green handles.There are long and short green slides.I forget which are for hard drives and which are for cd/dvd drives.Use the ones where the screw holes line up.Attach the slides to the drive with the handles to the rear plug side of the drive.

7. Redsnake

Redsnake

Thanks for the tips all. It was a piece of cake to install my new CD/DVD drive. I installed the Nero package that came w/it, but I'm going to check out that link that you gave me IndyGunFreak.

This DVD drive has lightscribe so I'm anxious to give that a try. Will have to wait until after we eat our fill of Turkey, Mashed potatoes and noodles. :banana: