Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother recently gave me this shotgun to repair. It had rust forming down the barrel on the outside. Gun was pretty nasty looking. Anyway I got to stripping all the metal down and sanding and thought if im putting all this work into it I might as well refinish the stock also. Here are some pics of the gun when I got it.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the gun refinished. Refinished stock, cleaned all metal and applied flat black Duracoat. Duracoat was not my first choice for this gun, I wanted to re blue the metal. My brother insisted on the Duracoat though since it does better at preventing rust than just blueing. Anyway, let me know what you guys think of the old bolt action shotty.

Attachments

·
Huge Member
11,332 Posts
Interesting that you posted this. I just started refinishing an H&R Gamester bolt action shotgun this weekend. Mine was made in 1954, I bought it at a police auction in 1984.

Mine has a two shot tube. It originally had a 26" bbl and a adjustable choke. When I got it someone had tried to get the choke off with a wrench and then just cut it. I have to cut the barrel down and re-crown it.

·
Huge Member
11,332 Posts
Some of my before pics....

Nice walnut stock...but a bit banged and scratched.

Two shot tube mag...

Dry rotted butt pad...

Mucked up barrel....

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
I was given a 20 ga m55. Refinished the stock and modified a 12 ga mag to replace the missing one. Haven't touched the metal yet. I was thinking of cutting the barrel to 18" putting a polly choke on it to make a 20 ga version of their Swamp Gun.

·
Huge Member
11,332 Posts
I was given a 20 ga m55. Refinished the stock and modified a 12 ga mag to replace the missing one. Haven't touched the metal yet. I was thinking of cutting the barrel to 18" putting a polly choke on it to make a 20 ga version of their Swamp Gun.
Thanks for mentioning that. Hadn't heard of a Swamp Gun but that is what I want to do with my H&R. Cut it down and put an adjustable choke back on it. Also thinking about lengthening the mag tube.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I think the black duracoat looks really good/

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
Thanks for mentioning that. Hadn't heard of a Swamp Gun but that is what I want to do with my H&R. Cut it down and put an adjustable choke back on it. Also thinking about lengthening the mag tube.
Marlin only made them for a couple of years 1963-1965, they are a pretty rare version of the M55, less then 1,500 were made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TogixxwTY00

·
Huge Member
11,332 Posts
Marlin only made them for a couple of years 1963-1965, they are a pretty rare version of the M55, less then 1,500 were made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TogixxwTY00
Again, thanks for the info and link. Very interesting. Looks like a cool shotgun.

The stock on my bolt action H&R shotgun is pretty much done. I am about ready to cut the barrel down to 18". Since my shotgun only has a 2 round tube mag, I was thinking of buying a long metal tube and extend the mag it to the end of the barrel. That would give me 5 or 6 rounds. Add and adjustable choke, new butt pad, maybe some sights and I would have a hi-cap swamp thumper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts