close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

refurbished computers a good buy or not?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mrglocks, Sep 4, 2006.

1. mrglocks

mrglocks Cookie Ninja

I would like to purchase a refurbished laptop and was wondering who offers the best bang for my buck i'm lokking for something with built in wi-fi and cd burner and at least a 1 ghz processor any ideas where to go?

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

I've bought 9 different latops from http://www.dellauction.com/ in the last 3 years. Many of them still have warranties and I've used that in a couple of cases. Almost everything they have is a corporate lease return, rather than just something someone bought on ebay and rebuilt. If you're not in a hurry, and have the patience to play the auctions, you can do very well.

3. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I think it's an excellent value. The only bad experiences I've had with refurb equipment was stuff I bought from Belkin (and, hey, when you buy factory new Belkin products, you're asking for trouble).

IMO, probably 50% of all returned PC HW only fell victim to the PICNIC error (problem in chair, not in computer). They heavily discount barely used and usually unblemished equipment and resell it. What a deal!

4. PhuzzyGnu

PhuzzyGnu Señor Member

I bought a refurbished Gateway (desktop) in April 2001 and the HD finally craped the bed a couple months ago. Not a bad lifespan.

-p.

5. ReAX222

ReAX222

You buy a cheap computer you'll get a cheap computer. As sone as your aware that it isn't going to be lightening fast or have the ltest wiggets, absolutely.

Infact, I just bought a $165 P3 500MHz thinkpad for datalogging my truck. I put a fresh copy of XP on and I like it so much that it has become my infront of the TV surfer. I know it's not going to proform like my OC'd 400gb PC, but because I don't expect it to it works fine. With older systems, make sure they don't come with alot of factory installed crap to bog to processor down. If it has XP, look at some of the tweaks used to boost 3dmark scores.

IE, fixed pagefiles, turn off some animations, more ram, ect.

6. lens

lens

IMNSHO, it depends on what kind of money you are laying down.

If you are spending ~$500, I think you are better off with a new Toshiba, HP, Compaq, Acer, Avertec, etc. available weekly in sales fliers for CompUSA, BestBuy, Circuit City, etc. Frequently after rebates, prices net out at $500-600 for a new machine.

7. HAVOC

Now this I unequivocally disagree with. I'd MUCH rather have a 12 or 18 mo old business class machine that cost $2000 new than a new $500 hunk of junk. I've been both places, and the stuff you find at Best Buy on special is unadulterated crapola. An older ThinkPad or Latitude will provide far better service for longer, in my experience.

8. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

Im still using my 3 year old $500 Toshiba....so I will have to disagree.....well, lets call it "partially disagree".

The battery is toast, although Im pretty sure thats the norm after 3 years or so of use with any laptop.

and

I did have the cooling fan crap out out me. It was a $45 part and I changed it myself....but others may not have the ability to do that.

Been a great laptop though....wouldnt hesitate to buy it again.

9. HAVOC

Yeah, 3 years is about all you can reliably expect from LiI packs. Cooling fans are also a high fail item, relatively speaking.

OK, maybe a bit of exageration. Not all $500 notebooks are neccessarily complete crap. But were I a betting man, I'd bet on the $500 part dying in 3 years over the $2000 part dying in 4 and a half.

10. PhuzzyGnu

PhuzzyGnu Señor Member

The IBM Thinkpad T43 I am using right now was sourced from www.overstock.com ....

You might check out the offerings there.

-p.

11. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Check the prices at RefurbDepot.com. I bought a Compaq Presario from them ~2 months ago and it's been nothing but flawless. First thing after umpacking it, I ran two instances of Prime95 for 48 hours, keeping both CPU cores pegged at 100% for two days. The Sony Vaio I bought brand-spanking new in April (and paid five times as much for), OTOH, is a POS.

12. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I've bought five computers for my office, including two laptops, from Dell's Outlet site, which features refurbs.

In every case, I paid an outstanding price, about 30%-50% less than a similarly configured machine purchased through the main site (and ~25% less than the lowest 'sale' price I could find in Dell's specials for similar machines), got 'like new' machines with full warranties.

Dell's refurbs span the full range - from super-cheapo laptops and basic desktops to some real high-end powerhouses.

I was cautious about buying my first refurb, but it was such a positive price/performance that I've gone back to the well several times.

The refurbs I've gotten also didn't have all the pre-installed annoying 'trial' software that hassles you to buy the full version every other day, that comes on new machines. For me, that's a significant bonus!

13. Nukem

Nukem

May I suggest a refurb Apple laptop?:perfect10:

14. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Yes! Apple often has great refurb prices!