close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Red Wing boots, overpriced?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sombunya, Jun 22, 2012.

1. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

After wearing them for quite a few years I say yes.

I had a couple pair come apart just above the welt when I worked for a cryogenic liquid company. I figured that it was from the occasional touches of -300 degree liquid.

At my present job I started wearing a pair I had that were nearly new, but sat in the box for about six years. They came apart at the welt near the heel. The guy at the Red Wing store said they came apart because they "were just old". He also said they could not be repaired. Well, the wife had them repaired for relatively cheap, about 40 bucks.

I always oiled them with Red Wing oil. Still come apart. No more.

Bought some work boots from Sears, made in China of course. Comfortable, light weight and lasted a long time (2 years). For the money, one pair of Red Wings = four pair of my present boots.

Just wondering if anyone agrees?

2. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

To hell with you and your chinamen boots, I hope they have lead in the soles :rofl:

About Redwings, I've only had 1 pair in my whole life but I loved them. Though I don't work anywhere near a place that would require them, I think I'll get a pair just because my employer said I can wear any footwear other than flip flops.

3. Bro KV

Bro KV

Love my Red Wings

4. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

6. Averageman

Averageman

Ive had better luck with Doc Martins.
    The Red Wings began falling apart as soon as they got wet.

7. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

I wear redwings at work all day everyday. They are usually covered in oil and mud and get cuts and scrapes but they still last 2 years. Of all the boots i have tried, they are the most comfortable and last the longest. $200 is money well spent when you spend 10 hours on your feet.

8. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

BTW, redwing also sell a cheaper line of redwing boots. These are just china made boots with a redwing label.

9. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Worked commercial construction for a while, wore redwings daily without a problem.

The complaint I will voice is that they are heavy... My 10 eye redwings outweigh my full vamp Ariat work boots by a serious margin, and neither have steel toes.

Something I have learned in the last few years is that shoes and boots wear out long before I'm ready to replace them. By the time I buy a new pair I'm used to the diminished performance of the old and am shocked at how great the new shoes feel...I imagine work boots are the same and people hang on to them too long due to high replacement cost. I say buy the cheaper ones and replace them more often.

10. LibertyPatriot

LibertyPatriot

They're only expensive to non-union buyers. Most union shops get/give large discounts from Red Wing dealers. I've had good luck with the 2 pair I own. One pair is over 15 years old and just about my favorite pair. Only problem is they discontinued that model boot.

11. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I have a pair of Red Wing steel-toed boots that I absolutely love. They're more comfortable than even my running shoes. I guess I've gotten used to the weight, because I don't even notice the difference anymore.

I've only had them a year but no problems with them. They've seen snow and slush during the winter with no leaks etc.

I use Neats Foot Oil and regular boot polish on them. They look as good as the day I bought them

12. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Silliness.

Either they're worth the price paid or they're not. "Union Shops" aren't exactly exclusive to the concept of a boot allowance. I worked at one company that allowed you to wear any boot you wanted, and paid for a new pair every year. They just turned in the receipt.

13. JBG30

JBG30

Never oiled, and never treated well, still as waterproof as when new. After about four years in a daily commercial environment I finally wore through the sole of my pair. I'll get them resoled when I order a new pair and relegate them to mower duty.

You guys that can't find discontinued models, they will most likely make them for you. Takes two weeks.

They did have a run of bad rubber in the past, I believe this was resolved.

Don't be fooled, the Chinese models cost just as much as the USA models. Check the inside of the tongue or use their website. Its either made in China, made in USA with imported materials, or made in USA.

14. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I've always had good luck with Red Wings. That was about all I wore during my working years. I always had two pair and would alternate them so they could dry out on the off days.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

My American made Red Wings easily last four years or more while being worn daily for construction work. Hell, I just resoled a pair that I bought back in 2004 last year. Sure, the leather is so beat up that it's not even water resistant any more, but it's softer than lambskin by now and still works fine in dry weather.

16. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

If they don't come apart prematurely then the soles quickly wear out and need to be replaced. Another $80 for Vibram soles. I suppose if my employer paid for anything I wanted I would still buy them, maybe. But shelling out for them myself? I don't feel they're the best value.

I think the final straw was this:
    I wear work boots 40 hours a week, and have for many years.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  17. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Then they aren't nearly new. Things dry out, rot etc.

18. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I've had 2 pairs and both were great. My current pair is about 2 years old. Super comfy.

Other steel toes I've worn were tight and pinched. Redwings always fit as comfortably as a pair of casual shoes. I cant afford to get them from a Redwing Store. But a local hardware store carries them and I get the older models when their on sale. I paid $125 for my current pair which isn't bad at all for a decent pair of work boots. Similar boots at the actual redwing store are almost double that.

One thing I hate about redwing almost to the point I want to stop buying them is their internet sales policy. I hate a company that won't embrace modern times. You just can't get them online at all. I'm thinking about switching to Danners in protest.

19. Radam3

Radam3

I love my RedWings. I'm on my third pair. These ones are about 3 years old. I work in a shop where coolant, oil, water, and all types of metal shavings get on my boots daily. Yet they are still waterproof and comfortable, soles are still in good shape. The leather at the crease in the toe is the only area showing its age. When that goes, it'll be time for new ones. But after three plus years, I think that is perfectly acceptable.

20. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I used to buy Redwings all the time. And, I had very good luck with them. But they stopped making 4E widths - or at least I can't find them.

I still have a pair of old Irish Setters - but I don't need boots for work anymore. They just get used around the yard. And, I have a pair of Gortex/Thinsulate hunting boots - not built for work.

I wish Redwing would make 4E's again - I would like to get a pair or two of their modern issue.