close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Red meat?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TxGlock9, Apr 2, 2012.

1. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

How often do you consume red meat? Specifically Beef. I've read plenty of studies that suggest that too much intake of red meat, specifically beef, Can lead to an auto-immune response that attacks the joints. Moreover it can increase the risk of rheumatoid arthritis.

In my culture we don't eat that much red meat, but I find that eating beef after workouts increases energy 3 fold. If I do start to eat it at least 2 times a week will it have any detriment to my health. I know it's a very arbitrary question because everyone reacts to it differently. I just don't want to develop any heart disease, arthritis, or any other health disorder from consuming so much.

So if you do eat beef on a regular basis:
    1. how many times a week?
    2. how much per serving?
    3. If you do have increase risk of health problems from eating red meat. What is your ethnic background and family history of autoimmune, gout, etc(disorders)...

Btw I am in the medical field and just wondering what people with real world experiences has to say.

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

1/2lb burgers a couple of times a week (locally ground sirloin) and a 12ish oz ribeye (also local) once a week, along with the ground beef in lasagna, enchiladas, meatloaf, or whatever else we happen to make.

Absolutely zero idea about family history (I'm adopted), but at almost 27 I'm still healthy as a horse, so I'll keep eating how I please until I can't :supergrin:

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Once a day, on average. Red meat is wonderful.

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I've got myself down to one steak a week and then only ancillary meat after that (never the main ingredient). HH

5. Hamilton Burger

Hamilton Burger Incompetent

I just made us some burgers on the griddle.
    1.5 lb 80% gb
    half of a small yellow onion, diced
    some steak sauce, some cheddar, on garlic toasted buns.

6. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Ditto.

7. silentpoet

silentpoet

I eat it as often as possible. Supper tonight was chicken curry, but just now I ate 3 pieces of brisket for a snack. I eat all the process beef jerky stuff too. I may not live as long as some, but I will enjoy as much of my life as I can. I think tomorrow I am going to have kima(sp) for supper. It is very spicy ground beef.

8. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

From what I've understood, eating a 3-4 oz portion 2 to 3 times per week is perfectly fine.

Beef is high in minerals such as iron and zinc, as well as the obvious protein. S/B great stuff after a workout the way I see it.

9. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

As expected there are a lot of red meat eaters. We are in America after all. Seems to me I should start eating more red meat. Fish oil will be a good cardiovascular supplement as well.

That's what I read and heard too. 6-8oz per week is "supposed" to be the limit.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  10. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Every day. Sometimes twice a day. Leftovers are great!

11. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I've drastically cut down my meat consumption but for the last 20+ years of cookin for myself I'd say on average I ate
    50% pork
    20%beef
    15%fish
    15%chicken

I usually had a liverwurst or Tuna salad sandwich for breakfast and 1 or 2 pork chops or a steak for dinner 3 -4 days a week.
    2 days a week of pork,steak or chicken tacos-I LOVE TACOS:wavey:
    And Salmon,cod,tilapia or other various fish or meats occasionally.

I'm totally craving a liverwurst sandwich right now:faint:

12. Caver 60

Caver 60

Growing up we were to poor to eat much red meat. But we had chickens and eggs and bacon and ham, butter, etc.

Since I turned 22 I've eaten more than my share of steaks and hamburgers and real butter. Now days I eat one homegrown (corn fattened to at least 60% hanging weight) steak, hamburgers 2 to 4 times per week as well as occasional things like meat loaf, stuffed peppers, spaghetti with hamburger, etc. Outside of fish products, very few evening meals without meat. Also eat a fair selection of vegetables.

Breakfast is usually a bowl of Cheerios, and lunch a sandwich with sliced chicken and chips and buttermilk.

I'm nearing my three score and ten. So far no heart attacks, or health issues. I lead a pretty active life style as a caver and farmer and have good genes in my background. With two exceptions (cancer on both) just about all my immediate relatives (including aunts and uncles) on both sides of my family have lived to 80 or well beyond. My mother recently passed at 94.

I normally drink two standard drinks of alcohol a day. Either a 12 oz beer, a shot of distilled liquor usually with Coke, or a 5 ounce glass of wine. I haven't been drunk in decades and even way back then only a very very few times.

Last physical cholesterol was 205. I'm not going to worry about that.

I've always said there is a lot to be said for a good 'clean' heart attack, as long as it takes you out. Most of those relatives mentioned above spent from a couple, to as long as 10 of their last years in a nursing home. Very few died at home. I only recall one uncle who died at home at the age of 95.

13. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

yes it is!:supergrin:

14. silentpoet

silentpoet

6 to 8 ounces is barely one decent burger much less a weeks worth of beef.

15. Homechicken

Homechicken

delete

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  16. Homechicken

Homechicken

two to three times a week. Usually locally raised grass fed organic bison instead of beef. Approx. 1/2 pound at a time, maybe a little more or less, depending on how hungry I am and what else there is to go along with it. When I do eat beef its usually a 3/4 to 1 pound ribeye or we'll buy a 3 - 4 pound tenderloin and make 4 meals out of it, but that's maybe a once a month thing. We try and get all our meat organic, grass fed, etc. It really does taste better. I could eat red meat every meal every day, but even I know that's not healthy.

17. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I really have no idea where the scientists are getting these figures from. I mean especially in America where people are expected to eat red meat a ton more than in other parts of the world. Me personally I'm Korean so our dietary meat is usually more fish than beef.

That's pretty impressive actually. A cholesterol level 189mg/dl is usually the healthy mark.

I'm 30 right now and I haven't had any health issues but still I would like to get blood work done to see exactly where I stand as far as health goes. Only thing that runs in my family is kidney/heart issues on my mother's side. On my father's side, that I know of, is my grandfather that had stomach cancer that metastisized to his liver. All the Yoon(lastname) men smoke in our family and no case of lung cancer, though I should serious cut down.

Btw what's the bolded statement above mean?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  18. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

Red meat is the only thing we consider meat. Bison, deer, elk, beef, etc.
    Everything else is pork, poultry or fish. :supergrin:
    I'd say we eat it 3-5 times per week on average with the portion sizes being about six ounces. But, on occasion, I will knock down a big porterhouse or ribeye. I just make sure I drink enough red wine to aid in digestion.

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

He's almost 70 years old. A score is 20.

20. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I'm glad you brought up red wine. It supposedly prevents Malonaldehyde(carcinogenic byproduct of digested meat) associated with cancers, heart disease, etc.