Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Back to work...
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my suppressor and have been shooting a couple of hundreds of rounds (.22) almost daily for the last few days. The setup is a Ruger Mark IV Lite with a Bushnell Red Dot, and a Silencerco Sparrow 22.

The Ruger Mark are tack-drivers, and I've had this gun for a few years, and it's always been perfect, though I've never shot it as much and as frequently as the last few days (neighbors call police for the unsuppressed .22 pistol shots, which are really loud)

Yesterday the red dot lost its zero from one shot to the next. It went 1.5 inches to 315 degrees direction. There was no traumatic event (other than the shot and gun cycle): I didn't bump the red dot, touch the adjustment knobs, and the mount remains secured.

Is that normal? (to go out after several hundreds of rounds)

IMG_20200512_222104.jpg

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Not normal, but it does happen. Especially true with the low cost units, but it’s happened with $$$ units as well.

I would first check to make sure the dot is still tight to the rail and the rail right to the gun. Beyond that you may need to contact Bushnel and see how they handle warranty claims. Sorry.

·
aka dingle
1,338 Posts
the g force goes way up when the bullet goes through the suppresser and tries to immediately change the direction of the recoil.

Reactions: davethehiker

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I have never experienced this on my Trijicon RMRs and I have three of them.

·
2,387 Posts
It's a "cheap" toy optic. No surprise it is failing. A warranty replacement will also likely fail with use.

Save up and buy a real red dot. Holosun, Vortex, etc make decent red dots starting in the $200+ range. Expect to pay more for a "bulletproof" reliable red dot worthy of serious use.

Or, continue to buy cheap crap that only sometimes works and can't be counted on. Ok for toys, not ok for real use.

·
NRA Life Member
66,538 Posts
I'll join everybody else in saying "get a better dot." The only handgun red dots I use are Ultradot, because they're the cheapest brand with a good reputation. They have been pretty much a tradition in Bullseye competition since dots were first allowed, about 30 years ago. They generally hold up to riding the slide of .45s, so they are tough enough. I bought one of mine for $100 used and the other for $150 new, but I currently want an Ultradot Matchdot II for my .45, which is around $270. These days, among the "money is no object" crowd, which includes most Bulleye shooters, Aimpoints are much more popular - the 9000 series or the Micro series - but I haven't put that much money into one yet

Also plenty of choices from Vortex, Burris, Sig, etc., but I don't know about their quality.

·
Banned
547 Posts
I really like my Burris Fastfire III 8 MOA. It never failed me.

·
Registered
21,821 Posts
My TRS-25 has been solid on my M&P15 Sport II and CZ Scorpion. Maybe yours went bad.

For a 22 target pistol, I prefer the Venom Votex because of the weight and size.

·
The underscore is silent
5,233 Posts
I like my Vortex red dots... fantastic warranty and super nice people. You can get into a new Sparc 2 with a mount for $125.

·
Sneet
16,204 Posts
I shot my Mark III the other day, with a Sightmark green dot on it. I wondered how long it would last. The answer was; not long. I'll be replacing it with a Holosun. I have 3 of them on various rifles. Good stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts