Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've listened to Nut-n-Fancy, and several others on YouTube. There's one guy shooting out to 300 mikes with an Eotech. Now I passed being a young too long ago. Nut, lol, says a Nikon Buck Master for his aging eyes. There's just to much STUFF out there for me to draw a judgement from. So here I am again, and yeah I know what opinions are like, but come on some ones got to have a logical idea what would work for me. The more I listen the more confused things get. I check on the Colt (Wish me luck) Wednesday and I've got a BushMaster on backup. I didn't think optics were going to be this confusing, was I ever wrong.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
I've listened to Nut-n-Fancy, and several others on YouTube. There's one guy shooting out to 300 mikes with an Eotech. Now I passed being a young too long ago. Nut, lol, says a Nikon Buck Master for his aging eyes. There's just to much STUFF out there for me to draw a judgement from. So here I am again, and yeah I know what opinions are like, but come on some ones got to have a logical idea what would work for me. The more I listen the more confused things get. I check on the Colt (Wish me luck) Wednesday and I've got a BushMaster on backup. I didn't think optics were going to be this confusing, was I ever wrong.
300 mikes? They use EO Techs on cruise missiles?

Anyway, an EO Tech or an Aimpoint 2MOA (Or, hell, even a 4MOA. I've done that, too) is more than capable of hitting a man-size target at 300+ yards, if the shooter and rifle are capable.

A 3-9x will get you to the maximum usable range of 5.56 against man sized targets.

I can consistently (90+%) hit a silhouette at 300 yards with a 10.5" SBR and an Aimpoint T1 micro. I can make consistent hits at 500+ yards (75+%) with a 16" chrome lined barrel and a 4x Leupold, with about 40-50% hit rate out to 800 yards using 77 grain BHA match.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you use the same thing for CQB?

·
12,970 Posts
An Aimpoint without magnifier for a guy w/ 20/20 vision can hit out to 300 or so easily.

For under 150m work, I won't use anything else.

If you're primarily worried about longer distances or your vision is poor, a 1-4X variable like a Nightforce or a Leupold in a solid QD mount (LT104) with backup irons will cover most of your options out to 500m or so. I've shot at 500m with a 3X ACOG and hits were stupidly easy. A 1-4X isn't quite as quick indoors but with practice, it's no slower than irons.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
Do you use the same thing for CQB?
My Mk. 18 build (10.5" SBR - LMT upper, DD rail, Aimpoint T1 Micro 2MOA) is my house defense gun, and it's also my all-around, go-to carbine. I can make fast hits from point blank to 200 yards without even worrying about the distance, and only a moment to think about the rough distance and hold to over 300 yards. As a general rule, I don't even use a magnifier on that setup.

My 16" gun (PSA upper, Troy rail, Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x Firedot in a LaRue mount) was built intentionally to be something with a little more reach than the SBR, but not quite a true "sniper" type weapon. 800 yards is honestly much longer than I ever thought I would get to stretch that rifle out to, and I was honestly surprised to get some good hits at that range. Eventually I will get off my ass and post photos from that range trip.

Neither one is ideal for shooting the distances I have pushed them to, but it CAN be done. My next project is a Remington 700 in .308 for reaching 950+ with more precision than my 16" AR can provide.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
One of my local LEO dealers recommended an EOTech XPS2. Let's see, a Leupold VX-R in 1.25-4x would be good then? The last time my eyes were still 20/20. I'd like to have a VCOG, but the price is just to high to me. I can get the EOTech for a bit over $400.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
One of my local LEO dealers recommended an EOTech XPS2. Let's see, a Leupold VX-R in 1.25-4x would be good then? The last time my eyes were still 20/20. I'd like to have a VCOG, but the price is just to high to me. I can get the EOTech for a bit over $400.
I am absolutely not a fan of EO Techs - I have personally witnessed too many of them fail, including a personally owned one.

For $400 or less, you can have an Aimpoint PRO, which is far more durable and has significantly longer battery life than the EO Tech.

You can also get the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.504x I have on my 16" gun for under $400 with the illuminated Firedot-G SPR reticle. Throw in another $160 for a LaRue LT-104 mount with the FVZ mounting option ($210 for QD levers) and have a solid variable optic setup for around $550.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I agree with Plank and Murphy about 1x optics. Unless your eyesight is a problem you will be amazed by how far you can hit small targets.

I also am a big fan of Aimpoint and agree that the earlier generation of EOTechs had some reliability issues. The newer ones--XPS and EXPS--are solid optics and their reticles have some advantages. If you believe the Net, UBL was killed with a HK416 and an EOTech. http://m.imgur.com/8fWJx

That said, I'm running a T1 and an Elcan Specter.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
For general purpose shooting, muzzle to 300 yards, a low power variable is a good choice. Either a 1-4 or 1.5-6.

·
12,970 Posts
A true 1X is a bit easier to use at close range than a 1.25 or 1.5X but that's a training issue.

Also not a fan of Eotechs. The XPS may be an improvement but it only took them ten years to get there.... Aimpoints work, period. Some occasionally fail but it's the exception not the rule. I personally know of Comp M2's and M3s that have survived IEDs and in one case, a helicopter crash. Rifles didn't survive, the optic did.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
A true 1X is a bit easier to use at close range than a 1.25 or 1.5X but that's a training issue.

Also not a fan of Eotechs. The XPS may be an improvement but it only took them ten years to get there.... Aimpoints work, period. Some occasionally fail but it's the exception not the rule. I personally know of Comp M2's and M3s that have survived IEDs and in one case, a helicopter crash. Rifles didn't survive, the optic did.
I've seen far more wrecked EO Techs piled up in boxes for shipment to L3 or for destruction than I have Aimpoints, even in units where more Aimpoints were being used than EO Tech's.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Unnecessary. A battery powered T1 will run for years, so why bother with tritium and fiber optics? I've actually never seen a single person use one of these.
Neither have I. But that's why I asked. I've heard it works well for those with an astigmatism though. And for ~$600, a T1+LaRue mount is better value, but the chevron reticle in a 1x is interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
At our qualifying course at work, I can hit a man sized target at 375yds with my Aimpoint. For some reason people believe a red dot is for up close and personal use which couldn't be farther from the truth. If you learn your holdovers, you can make hits out to 1000yds with an Aimpoint.
If precision shooting is your thing, get yourself a quality magnified optic.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've never even looked through a red dot regardless of brand. I understand that you place the dot and fire, but then what do you use for those long shots if it's not marked on the glass. Having nothing but YouTube to go by makes it hard to pick anything. Can someone explain how you place the dot on an over 200 meter shot? I could trust my old Redfield 3x9x40, it was marked but that was over forty years ago and much has changed. Then again a lot stays the same. We all die. Looks like an Aimpoint Comp M4 for ruff duty and battery life. How does that sound?

Thanks for your service Mr Murphy.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
I've never even looked through a red dot regardless of brand. I understand that you place the dot and fire, but then what do you use for those long shots if it's not marked on the glass. Having nothing but YouTube to go by makes it hard to pick anything. Can someone explain how you place the dot on an over 200 meter shot? I could trust my old Redfield 3x9x40, it was marked but that was over forty years ago and much has changed. Then again a lot stays the same. We all die. Looks like an Aimpoint Comp M4 for ruff duty and battery life. How does that sound?

Thanks for your service Mr Murphy.
The T-1 Micro is just as durable, has 5+ year battery life, weighs a lot less, and it is less expensive than the M4S.

Zeroing a red dot at 50 meters generally puts your point of impact +/- 2.5" of the dot from point blank range to somewhere around 250 yards. With my SBR, I hold upper chest on silhouette targets out to 200, and hold the bottom edge of the dot in the same place at 300. Either one gives me upper chest hits consistently without having to put much effort in it. Even if I hold the dot upper chest at 300, my hits will be in mid chest to abdomen, and still inside an IPSC steel plate if I do my part.

·
12,970 Posts
Treat the dot like the tip of your front sight, elevate dot if necessary at 200+. Or in a 50/200 zero, sometimes you actually depress the dot and aim low.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
The T-1 Micro is just as durable, has 5+ year battery life, weighs a lot less, and it is less expensive than the M4S.

Zeroing a red dot at 50 meters generally puts your point of impact +/- 2.5" of the dot from point blank range to somewhere around 250 yards. With my SBR, I hold upper chest on silhouette targets out to 200, and hold the bottom edge of the dot in the same place at 300. Either one gives me upper chest hits consistently without having to put much effort in it. Even if I hold the dot upper chest at 300, my hits will be in mid chest to abdomen, and still inside an IPSC steel plate if I do my part.
Well said....

OP, remember, the dot is either 2MOA or 4MOA depending on model you choose. With tge dot covering 2"-4" at 100yds, the hold offs are actually easier than with magnified optic due to how much area the red dot covers. It's hard to get it wrong with an Aimpoint.

If you are holding on upper half of the target, the dot is covering a lot of area, hard to miss really. Just do your part and everything will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
It's not that easy if you need to hit a smaller target at distance. When I need to be more precise, I turn my 2 moa T1 dot down until it's just a pinpoint. That gives me a good POI to base my holdover and windage from.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts