Red Belly Piranhas

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by glockmeister71, Jul 12, 2005.

1. glockmeister71

glockmeister71 Juggalo

Does anyone else have any piranhas?I've got (4) 3"-4" Red Bellies.I think they have nice color.They was going through 5 dozen goldfish feeders a week.I've got them started on Formula One frozen food now and seem to be liking it.They are not agressive as most people think.They usually stay hid all the time and hate the light.I hardly ever turn the light on.

2. hunter29180

hunter29180

Dont have piranhas but have had some noctournal fish before!

Have you tried the moon lights? Simulated moonlite and seems to bring them out!

3. glockmeister71

glockmeister71 Juggalo

Never tried them,but it sounds interesting.We did think about getting black light bulbs for it.

4. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Forget the formula 1 food.

Toss in a liberal or two each day. ;f

5. glockmeister71

glockmeister71 Juggalo

6. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

7. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac

I personally think Icecap makes some of the best moonlight LED setups. That is what we have in our marine tank. As far as the feeder fish, I assume you have a tank full of the little rascals, right? That is what our Moray likes to eat, just keep a tank in the garage with them in it.

8. keltic

keltic

I used to have 2. Also you can feed them table scraps(meat).Try to stay away from feeders unless you actually have a tank to quarintene(SP) them cause they carry lots of bad stuff.Thats what killed mine^1

9. glockmeister71

glockmeister71 Juggalo

We are some bad problems with the frozen food now.The tank is getting nasty fast and stinking.We've never had that problem before.We are in the process of buying another house and moving now.After we move,I'm going back to feeders.We buy them from a Aquarium in Knoxville that quarentines them for so many days(I forget)before they will sell them.We've never got anything bad from them.They seem real honest about it.They've had times that they've had feeders,but wouldn't sell them because they hadn't had them long enough.One other time they told us that they got a batch in that had ick(sp?)and had to dispose of them,empty and clean their tank before they'd get anymore to sell.I trust them and we've used them for about a year now.We did get ick from feeders from a small shop that doesn't ever quarentine,but we don't ever get them there anymore since we started going to the other place.I've tried feeding them raw steak before and it drove them crazy.It must've been the blood.They started darting back and forth in the tank hitting the glass.I was afraid they was going to injure themselves.

10. keltic

keltic

its good to know that a shop is on the real. B/C the best way to feed them is with live food. Right now all I have is a 55 gallon with 2 oscars and a 29 with a red devil.I miss the pirahnas and have an empty tank but am debating on getting more fish(pirahnas) or a ball python.