Recurve Bows

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Rosokill, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Rosokill

Rosokill Who are you?

I've always heard that recurves aren't as accurate as compound bows, and recurves suck, get a compound, blah, blah, blah.

So what is the truth? Recurves can't be all that bad. They seemed to work for hundreds of years before compounds!

2. joker1

joker1

Recurves can be very accurate. A compound can be easier to shoot. The excentric pullies give you "let off" i.e. has a greatly decreased pull weight at full draw. This allows you to take your time aiming, or hold your draw waiting for the perfect shot. Just ask an olympic archer if recurves are inherently inaccurate! The standard Glocktalk advice.......get both ;f .

3. rappa29

rappa29 JAFO

Go to www.archerytalk.com . Plenty of great info and nice folks.

I'm a newbie to archery, but received numerous advice to start with a recurve so basic skills and mechanics can be learned properly.

There are guys that hunt with recurves and have the Bucks, Bear and Hogs to prove the accuracy of a recurve!

4. noway

noway

{I've always heard that recurves aren't as accurate as compound bows, and recurves suck, get a compound, blah, blah, blah. }

With most tradional equipment they are just as good as most compounds but are normally used for shorter distances. Unlike the compound, you are pulling the full weight and holding it vrs the compound is pulling the full weight but you have a % of let-off or holding available at full draw.

Get what you like and can best shot. Regardless if it is a compound or long/recurve bow.

{So what is the truth? Recurves can't be all that bad. They seemed to work for hundreds of years before compounds!}

this is all so true.

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Not Furgerson.

Stacy Grosscope(sp) Hit aspirin with his recurve.

He also hit 3 BBs that I did not see but heard.

It was a Keystone Country Stores out door days.

As for distance check your history and see what happened
    to people up against the English Longbow.

6. rappa29

rappa29 JAFO

Is that the same guy that does the 'Shot Of The Day' segment on 'Shooting USA'?

There are 2 guys that do that segment. The one guy does mostly guns (although he did a segment shooting everything from a 1911 to a slingshot w\deadly accuracy) and the other guy does recurve bow trick shots. He had his wife throw an aspirin in the air and he shot it!;P

You could see the aspirin powder on impact.

7. noway

noway

{As for distance check your history and see what happened
    to people up against the English Longbow.
    }

If you are trying to imply that recurves TODAY are not limited in max-effective range, then you need to check out their requirements and the facts. The compounds with the lighter and faster arrows, flat-trajectory and with sights are not AS limited as a traditional bow(period). That's way they have globs of pins-sight and shooting arrows lighter than 400gr and faster than 280-320fps. They do all of this to raise their effective distance.

Recurves and longbows do not have these advantages thus their "effective" range is limited somewhat.

Even a olympic/FITA archer uses some of these same advantages that the compounds use by using the god awfull light arrows and sights, which btw is not the norm in traditional archery or traditional bow hunting.

{Stacy Grosscope(sp) Hit aspirin with his recurve.}

Btw the guy name is, Stacey Grosscup and his bows are tricked and not the typical bow that a normal person would used, nor could an avg traditionalist archer shoot asprins out of the air.
    ;)

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Using field points or broadheads, you can seriously annoy a man sized target out to about 75-80 yards with practice. I imagine others can do far better than that.

In my medieval fighting group, using fairly heavy (for arrows) padded heads I can make hits on moving people at 30 yards. Accurate enough for a bunch of people armed with contact distance weapons. :)

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Some people will always be better than others.

Ferguson is the guy on tv.

When I saw him he was having a bad day.

He said, "buy my vidio I don't miss anything on it"

Stacy is a minister in WVA.

10. Mike Bolin

Mike Bolin

I switched from a compound to a recurve in 1993. I have killed black bear, whitetail and caribou with it. It (traditional archery equipment) does require more practice, but I enjoy shooting my bows, so that isn't a problem! It is a matter of personal preference...kinda like the difference between a sidelock and an inline muzzleloader. There are several traditional archery websites/forums out there.............if you are interested in finding one, drop me an email. Mike

11. Dogbite

Dogbite

As a young child,i started shooting a little bear recurve bow and loved it.When i got older,i moved to a compound bow.I got all the sights and doo hickies,but still shot with fingers,not a release.Guys at the archery range were amazed that i shot a compound with fingers,and could really hit.I now have given my compound away and went back to a stick bow.Its a martin longbow 55lb draw.It is a lot of fun.I just enjoy it more than i did my compound.Also,if anyone watches the team fitzgerald people--i love there videos--they shoot compound bows,but without any sights or doo hickies--off the shelf,as you do with a stick bow.I have seen fitzgerald make some incredible shots with no sights.They have the power of a compound,but still shoot instinctively.I like that idea--pretty cool.Stick bows can be very very accurate,but they dont have the power of a good compound--but they do get the job done!!

12. akbound

akbound

Bow accuracy is limited by the shooter's skill with their chosen equipment, not necessarily the style of equipment!

It requires more skill on the shooter's part to exhibit the same level of accuracy with traditional equipment compared to compound bows. But it still boils down to the shooter.

Dave

13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Began shooting recurves in the 70's, shot my first "bow kill deer," with a bear recurve, 55#. after some years went by, i let a friend talk me into a compound bow. I had it set at 80#. I pulled the string back to full draw, and the top limb snaped in half like a atom bomb!

String, and cables and other assorted stuff beat my arm like a jack hammer... nedless to say, i am "still a recurve man." :)

Like all them pretty much, but the nod, over the years, has gone to Martin Hunter, Bear kodiak hunter, and kodiak magnum, in the 60/80# range. Now that i am feeling my age, i stick with the 60# stuff, and may drop that down to 55#, because of assorted bone injury's. But that is plenty enough to take rabbits to elk, if you do your part, and keep that bradhead razor sharp.

Have taken all kinds of game with them, and the rush of the recurve, "to me," is fantastic!

I was board, so i wrote this!

CanyonMan

(In search of Rodeo Bucking Bull stock....PM me, if you have Info).

14. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

that said you can kill anything in North America with a #40 bow.

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Killing game with a 40# bow is pretty much correct. But, a little more weight, and the ability with that, to use a heavier arrow, sure does help.

But as was said... The 40# will work. Most people do not understand just how 'lethal' a recurve bow, even at low pull weights can truly be. But if you study the great archer's of our day,
    Hill,Bear,Doughtery,Pearson, Pope/Young, etc.. we see that they used (on the average), 55-65# pull weights for most all hunts, given the exception of kodiak brown bear, and large african game. Hill used a 90-110# bamboo bow, to take elephants.

Man, in Texas, the weight of his bow pull, was almost as much as some of our deer weigh!! :) The minimum weight in most states is 40# pull.

Personally, i just like to see 50# at minimum, and 60# as a "all round standard," to hunt with confidence anything , anywhere, in the USA, and the elk sized game in other countries.

But, if all a man can shoot efectively is 40/45#, it will, as you said, take deer, and even elk, if need be, but we got to remember, that elk has ribs like a crow bar, and the bear has plenty of hair, and fat and grissle, to go through, so that is why it is a good idea on the larger game, to "bump it up a bit," on the pull weight, if one can, and use a heavier arrow. But, then again... plenty of large, and even dangerous game, have fallen to even the 45# class, but i 'don't think' it should be the 'weight of choice,' for the larger game.

CanyonMan

(In search of Rodeo bucking bull stock) (PM me).

16. Rosokill

Rosokill Who are you?

I know Mr. Dougherty personally, hell, I've even been in his house! I hunt with his son often.

17. noway

noway

{Man, in Texas, the weight of his bow pull, was almost as much as some of our deer weigh!! The minimum weight in most states is 40# pull.}

btw, FL's minimum weight is 35#. My dad has taken medium size game ( musk hogs to deer ) with bows barely topping out of the 38-45# weight with no problems. Even the native americans bows where quite low by today's standards. His most heaviest bow that he could remember was barely a 43# longbow.

Take canyonman advice, he mentor me when I 1st started on a recurve.The lower weights helps in getting correct form and learning the bow. But soon you will find the "once hard to pull and lower weighted bows" get's boring and then you want to get something heavier. I started out with a 45# bow to help me build up the little muscles and get correct form so I could start on a 55# recurve. It also help me in concentrating on the bow, sighting and not struggling with the actual weight of the draw. Now my 55# recurve feels like a 45# bow.Now I feel like 55# is great for most of the game that I would ever want to take with it, but I would also like to get something in the 60ish lbs weight, since I realize that soon 55# is going to get to easy very soon. I have no doubt a loweer weight bow would kill deer & elk bow 60ish would be so much better if you can handle it.

One advice most tradtional experienced bowers will always say, start with a cheap bow & low weight bow and never start "over-bow" and pulling heavy draw weights. This could lead to incorrect forms and sloppyness. They always say the 1st bow you have will be sold or in your closet within 6months. So get a low weight bow and start the learning proccess and then migrate into the bow and weight that you want to finally be at.

18. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Rosokill, ...said..(quote)

"I know Mr. Dougherty personally, hell, I've even been in his house! I hunt with his son often." (end quote)...

Well, since you are a fellow Okie, as am I.

Sorry here Hoss, but i am just a little perplexed.
    you said on your first post....

(quote)...I've always heard that recurves aren't as accurate as compound bows, and recurves suck, get a compound, blah, blah, blah.
    So what is the truth? Recurves can't be all that bad. They seemed to work for hundreds of years before compounds! (END QUOTE).

Man, i am in "NO WAY," questioning your word, but if you are hanging with the "original" Jim Doughtery, and shooting with his son, why would you even ask this question? it seems you would have that answer soon as you walked in the door of his home! :)

Just simply curious, that's all!

CanyonMan

(In search of Rodeo bucking bull stock) (PM me, if you have info).

19. Rosokill

Rosokill Who are you?

LOL!! Believe it or not, Jim's son hates recurves! So he is the one filling my head with all the anti-recurve stuff. I've never had a whole lot of time to speak to Jim about the subject, we always end up talking about fishing. When I bring up how good his Dad is with a recurve, Jim's son always tells me the same thing "That's because he knows how to use it". lol

20. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, i am assuming Jim must be in his high 70's or so by now, since i was hanging on his every word, waaaay back in the mid 70's, and i believe he was at least 40 some then.

If this is the same Jim Doughtery, that has written countless aricles and books, and hunted all over creation with the recurve bow, man if i was you, i would have along sit down with this man, and pick his brain. There should be an absolute gold mind of wisdom concerning recurve bows, and hunting in general.

Not many have come along like him, and none that i know of since i last read one of his articles. He is the 'real deal.'

If this is the same Jim D. ........ "Shame on his son." :)

CanyonMan

(In search of Rodeo Bucking Bull stock) (PM me, if anyone has info)