close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recorded dvd movie will not play on pc

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dyno, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Dyno

Dyno

I bought a dvd plaver/recorder from wally world and it works great for recording movies I rent from directv as long as I play them back on that recorder.

I can't figure out why my copy will not play on my pc ?????????

I can play a new dvd movie on my pc by just putting it in the dvd drive .

Just curious , what gives ??

Thank , Dyno

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Either it doesn't recognize the format, or there's a problem with the "Region" code, or the PC is using DRM and this is keeping it from being played.

Can you access the data files on the DVD, or does it appear blank when you open My Computer and r. click> explore the DVD?

What format does your burner record in? Is it DivX or some other proprietary setup?

And, finally, what app are you using to view the movies on the PC?

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Duplication playback problems usually occur for two reasons:
    --The DVD player is an older model and the DVD-R or DVD+R playback format was not added at that time. Try using a newer DVD player, as most DVD players today support DVD-R and/or DVD+R disc format.
    --Your blank media is low quality. DVD players may not be able to play every kind of DVD-R or DVD+R media. If you are using sub-standard media, you may encounter playback problems.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Some DVD Rom drives won't play recordable DVD's.The older ones were made before there were DVD-R's.Some have firmware upgrades.In those,DVD-R's seem to work better than DVD+R's.

5. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

My NEC DV-5700 will simply not read DVD-R's.

6. Dyno

Dyno

fastvfr,Washington,D.C.,chevrofreak :

First let me say thanks for your reply.

I have an update. When I first tried to play the dvd recording of a movie I rented on direct-tv , my older pc ( 2000 model ) with win-me did not like it. It does have a dvd player but it does not see this recorded movie and it does not show up on my computer.

Since posting I tried the dvd I recorded on a newer HP computer running M$ XP, and well to make a long story short it played.

At this point the only thing that I would like to know is the DVD player I bought good enough or was it already out of date when purchased at Wally World last week. If this is junk or I made a mistake please say so.

opinions please : Sanyo mod. DRW-500 DVD video recorder
    cinema progressive
    dvd+r/dvd+rw/cd/cd-r/cd-rw/mp3/jpeg

I am still trying to figure out stuff since this is all new to me and lots of fun for an old fart who never used a computer until after I retired and my son brought me a bunch of parts his company was throwing away. I have been fascinated ever since then even though I don't know much

Thanks gang for all the help.

Best,Dyno

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Dyno,I take it the recorded DVD is playing in your newer PC.So I don't think it's the DVD recorder.Sounds like it's the old DVD player in your older PC.Around that time some of those did have firmware upgrades that may or may not help them play recorded DVD's.Is that the omly player that has problems?If so then it's just an old DVD player in that older PC.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Which blank disks are you using?Some claim the DVD-R works better than DVD+R in older drives or in most drives in general.RW lets you rewrite over the disk but are the most difficult for many drives to read.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I have a NEC-DV-5700 from very early 2000.They had a firmware upgrade for the 16X NEC DV-5800 but not the 12X DV-5700.They have had several firmware upgrades for the DV-5700 drive but not for DVD-R.Does yours read DVD+R's?I haven't heard of that or tried it.

10. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

I havent got any +R discs to try.

11. Dyno

Dyno

Washington,D.C.,
    The newer pc with Win XP will play DVD+R to DVD+R/W and everything else I've tried even mp3'S .
    It's the older pc with Win ME that has a CD-R/W and a DVD-rom that can't seem to read the recorded dvd's. At this point that is fine,I just did not see why to start with. The old pc is the one I am going to learn how to build my own system on, so for now this is fine as I can use the newer pc for dvd's if needed.

The sanyo dvd recorder seems ok for now, however, I must point out that I have no idea if it was a good choice or not. I'll be better informed the next time around as this is my first dvd recordrd.

Thanks for the help.

Dyno

12. D-E-F-E-N-S-E!

D-E-F-E-N-S-E! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I know this is basic....but you have to "finalize" a disc before it can be played in a regular DVD player.