Record number of Kentucky officers retiring

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Jul 4, 2020.

1. fastbolt

fastbolt

Did the "Police" go to court and "win"?

Or, were they taken to court and unsuccessfully sued because of long established court precedent regarding the difference between police being required to protect individuals, as individuals, versus protecting the general Public Safety.

If you want personalized 24/7/365 protection, hire a security guard.

If you want a police officer present at a school (as a SRO), does that mean a "special relationship" has been created guaranteeing the personal safety of each and every individual student (and staff member)? Or, does that just mean the taxpayers are simply paying for a police officer (or deputy) to be present at the school to fulfill his/her normal duties of general law enforcement while present at the school? (Hint: The courts have spoken in regard to this.)

No, law enforcement doesn't put "dirtbags in prison".

Law enforcement (executive branch) apprehends and brings suspected violators of law before a proper court of jurisdiction, and if the person is tried and convicted (think jury of peers, etc), the court (judicial branch) sentences convicted persons to jail/probation, prison, etc.

Now, this can become a bit muddied if any individual can show that a "special relationship" has been created between LE and them, and that may put LE at increased exposure to liability if it can be proven.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Pwhfirefighter and pgg00 like this.
  2. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

Well said. My compliments.

3. Bus007

Bus007

Envy is strong in the spork, what kept you from being a Police Officer, Firemen etc..

Sfaql, pgg00, spork and 1 other person like this.
  4. thespork

thespork

Envy over not having a pension?
    Absolutely... Guilty as charged....

Oh well, somebody has to go out into private industry and keep the government employees fed...
    Might as well be me...

So I'll be expecting a parade...
    What, no parade?
    How about a "thank you for your service"?
    Not that either?
    Thank you for your money?
    Not that either?

Oh well.. guess mom was right, shoulda taken that civil service test ..
    Akoloysing spondylitis, well that's what the military told me.
    But 26 years and two back surgeries later, I'm still walking 3-5 miles a day, nearly every day
    I also like computers a lot...
    Thanks for asking...

5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Hey, I never got a parade or thanks from the Public when I spent my years in private business, either. (Labor, sales, finance, and even private security.)

Come to think about it, I didn't get a parade because of my years in LE. Weird.

It's almost like nobody cared what I did to support myself and my family, other than my family and myself.

In the last few years I've had a surprising (to me) number of people I meet in person thank me for my service if they end up learning about my LE career. (Usually secondhand, meaning introduced by a mutual acquaintance or friend who knew me from my LE days, or when I was still serving/volunteering as a reserve.)

Still makes me feel a bit awkward, as I never did it for the thanks.

6. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

There is more to danger than death. Career ending injuries and a build up over the years take a toll.
    Never heard a cop say it was the most dangerous job. It has its dangers, so do others. But a career in LE is like nothing else.

nitesit(+ an e), spork and CZ Glock like this.
  7. n2g

n2g

I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to post in the Cop section, but as a retired teacher we get that "defined benefit pension" resentment, too. (Mods please delete if it's a big booboo and please accept my apology.) I'd like to approach the topic in a different light.

Let's not even try to make it about who is more "deserving."

At some point in their past, everyone CHOSE (for whatever combination of reasons) the job they would pursue. If a pension (or any other factor) is important to you, seek a job that provides that. ALL jobs have their pros and cons. Go for the kind of job you want, and if you don't, don't resent those who do.

While the retirement benefits were not my primary motivation, I changed careers at age 40, got my teaching degree (eventually got three of them at night, working full time while I did) and started teaching. Starting so late, I knew I'd never get full benefits but I chose to do it anyway. Many don't want that job, but some of us did. I say all that just to point out that jobs are a personal choice.

It's the same with any job, any benefit, any perk. If that's what you want, go for it even if you didn't at first. YOUR decision.

Btw, thanks to all you LEOs. Rules without any way to enforce them are meaningless. I don't want to live in chaos. Thanks to the rest of you, too; every job has value for others.

Ted Smith, VicFangio, Sgt127 and 9 others like this.
  8. blueiron

blueiron

Sheriff and FOP president??

Isn't that a bit of a conflict of interest?

CAcop likes this.
  9. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

So how long ago was it that your wife cheated on you with a cop?

10. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Well, this thread went completely off the rails.

Hey, spork. I'm going to be enjoying an income greater than the national average for doing nothing for the rest of my life. My grandpa made it to 92 and my great- grandmother made it to 106.

:eric:

11. thespork

thespork

Yup... Government employment is the way to go

Let someone ELSE create the wealth...
    I wish I learned that lesson

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Applying the standard definition(s) to promoting claims that police work is less dangerous by comparing the risks and danger exposure to other types of jobs/professions (which have entirely different exposures and inherent risks) in a manner lacking candor or sincerity (by twisting things a bit).

If you'd rather, such claims of "comparing" dissimilar dangers and risks - and their causes, meaning the volitional nature (on the part of others) - and trying to equate the results, could also arguably be used to illustrate a textbook Strawman Argument.

Falling out of an aircraft sans parachute, or off a tall building, can cause death. However, if someone's career is more likely to result in someone intentionally shoving them out of the aircraft, or off the tall building, that adds to the risk factor, if not the number of "results".

How many other dangerous jobs and professions can you name where someone is wanting to throw Molotov cocktails at the workers? Ambushing and wantonly murdering them because of their uniform (in CONUS, at any rate)?

It adds a bit of "risk factor" when someone is actively looking to injure or kill you. It's not like accidents, dangerous chemicals, heavy equipment and dangerous working conditions are "coming to life" and actively seeking to ambush and victimize folks in other professions.

pgg00, chemboy and Bus007 like this.
  13. thespork

thespork

You are just restating the same thing you said upthread.
    1)cops are not the only group that is endangered by sentient beings actively conspiring against them
    2) dead is dead... a tree can do it, and does in fact, just as well as a meth-head criminal can.

There is nothing "insincere" about these concepts, unless you consider facts insincere...

I'm not "promoting a claim", I'm stating a verifiable fact... Police work is less dangerous than many other professions.
    you are either insincere yourself, or have no idea what a straw man argument is\...
    danger is danger, dead is dead...
    the fact is there are many jobs out there that are more dangerous and more likely to make you dead than being a cop, and most get paid less, so don't whine about being underpaid..

If you think you have it so tough, QUIT, and find your way in the free market.
    the free market is the free market. If there is enough of a labor shortage society will just have to pony up.

The dangers of police work, although real, are hysterically overstated...
    The notion of police being "underpaid" with their benefit packages that NO ONE else in the capitalist economy gets is nonsense.

how many convenience store clerks and cabbies get killed every year? A hell of a lot more than cops, and they don't get to retire at 45.
    it adds risk, but again, not as much as other jobs.
    again, whatever danger there is in police work, and I'm not disputing that there is danger, it is more effectively mitigated than other professions. The data proves this.

14. fastbolt

fastbolt

Guess we can add confirmation bias to disingenuous and strawman ... :)

vista461, p.d. and Bus007 like this.
  15. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

I saw 20~ BLM standing in the road at Thoroughbred Park at about 9pm. I was turning from Win Rd to Main and thought I was going to get stopped, didn’t though.

p.d. and Dukeboy01 like this.
  16. CAcop

CAcop

Nevermind the fact that people generally aren't pizza drivers for 30 years.

p.d. and Dukeboy01 like this.
  17. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

Bus007 and p.d. like this.
  18. p.d.

p.d.

This thread turned into another defined benefit to my retirement. I'm churning the gut of someone I never met and do not know. :animlol::animlol::animlol:

pgg00, Dukeboy01 and wprebeck like this.
  19. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Well, don't forget, there's that unkept dude with the 12-gauge who pulls 'bear patrol' duty for his logging crew at their remote base camp in Alaska. :upeyes:

Dangerous job, but somebody's gotta do it.

20. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

AGF0526, CAcop and p.d. like this.