GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I just purchased my first Glock: Glock 19, gen 5, MOS! Now I am looking into upgrades and was wondering what experienced Glockers recommend for newbies?

Thanks!
None.

I don't see any reason to head down that road unless you just want to. If the weapon needed something different, that would've been added.

Maybe night sights.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
116,453 Posts
Beware of stipplers!

Shoot it for a few years before imagining that you could improve it by shopping for magic doo-dads.

Except sights, which are commonly upgraded.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Range time, ammunition, training. Learn to shoot it as is. At this point you don’t need night sights. Hard pass on the paste on grips, they are just a mess to remove later. You don’t really need more than the three magazines that came with the gun.

When I get a new Glock I generally install night sights and OEM extended controls. But I wouldn’t suggest that out of the gate. Learn to shoot your new gun first then decide if you prefer any minor modifications.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Well if you are going to take shooting lessons, you will need a good holster, like a BladeTech CompTac, a good gun belt, like a Wilderness Tactical, electric ears, Peltor Tac 6's are about $55 on Amazon, and work fine, even for an AR, at least 3 mag pouches and 5 ten rounders or 3 15's.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
KathySue,
As many have said (and I agree), nothing MUST be changed. Definitely keep the internals stock. Night sights are very helpful if you are going to use your Glock as a home defense gun or carry gun. If neither, okay. For daytime range use, I recommend a red fiber optic front sight if you happen to be of the age or vision where it's difficult to keep the regular front sight in focus (like me). The FO front will "pick up" quicker. You can keep the rear sight unchanged if you wish.

Otherwise just buy ammo and practice. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

There are two small items that will make life easier with a Glock 19.
From the GlockStore.....
Glock Factory Extended Slide Stop Lever #6340-blk $17.95, to make it a bit easier to drop the slide using just the lever.
And the Extended Slide Lock for Gen 5 Glocks #1201-blk $14.99, to make it easier to take down the gun for cleaning.
I have both, and highly recommend them for any model Glock.

https://www.glockstore.com/Gen-5-Factory-Extended-Slide-Stop-Lever?quantity=1&color=1

https://www.glockstore.com/Extended-Slide-Lock-Lever-for-Gen5?quantity=1&color=1

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Ammo
More mags
Trijicon HD
Apex trigger
TTI Ultimate connector
A good holster & better belt
DPM recoil system captured version

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I bought my G41 for home defense I wanted to trick it out. But after a bit of thinking I realized it wouldn't really need new sights when I'd be using it inside my home in the event of a break in. So I got a new guide rod and I'm going to add a light. Call it done. Will be doing the same for my G40 when I get it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You don’t really need more than the three magazines that came with the gun.
I'd argue that more magazines will always be useful, especially for shooting a lot. You can pre-load all your magazines and take them in your range bag which helps you spend your time focusing on shooting vs. taking breaks to load fewer mags. It can also help you ration ammo if you don't have a huge stockpile. Once your mags go empty, go home.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Night sights, maybe a Glock 17 gen 5 smooth trigger bar (your trigger finger will thank you), lots of ammo and training/practice. Nothing aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I agree with longbow , at least a nightstand safe if you have children still at home . Other than that , just maybe some training and range time .

·
If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?
1,001 Posts
This what I put on my Glocks.
Yeah I LOVE them. What I don't get is there is no Glock 48 version, you use the 43 sights (I get that based on slide width), but the sight radius is so different.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Kathy
It doesn't really need anything. Shoot it and get some training. If it's going to be used as a house gun you might think about getting a weapon light for low light situations. A lot of folks don't realize it, but once you turn on the weapon light your sights will be crystal clear and you don't need night sights.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts