Recommended upgrades for a new Glock owner?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KathySue, Oct 21, 2020.

1. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

Since you have an MOS version, I would suggest the Trijicon SRO. I have one of those on my G23.

And yes, ammo and mags. but now is not a good time to burn through thousands of rounds of ammo.

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Most of the advertised "upgrades" are just expensive changes that don't improve anything. Most of the rest are expensive downgrades.

Joebiker, SARDG, Sherlock913 and 4 others like this.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Sherlock913 likes this.
  4. thwalker13

thwalker13

Honestly depends on what you're wanting to do with it. I have a G19 Gen 5 for carry and haven't done a thing to it. Honestly the only thing I want to do to it is extended slide release. Other than that, she's perfect. As previous said, ammo and range time is more important for a 1st time owner.

5. familyman357

familyman357 I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.

Nothing really needs changing or "upgrading". People usually moan about the polymer sights (and I'll admit that I typically swap them out for metal sights of some sort because it's cheap and easy and makes me feel good), but the fact is they're sufficient unless you're using them to rack your slide.

Get some more magazines and work on building up a small ammo stash. If you absolutely must do something, maybe get the extended slide stop and/or an extended slide lock.

As a new Glock owner, for the love of God stay off glockstore.com or you'll wind up with
    [​IMG]

KathySue likes this.
  6. KathySue

KathySue

Great point! Thanks!

Sherlock913 likes this.
  7. KathySue

KathySue

So TRUE! LOL! Glockstore.com has SO MUCH STUFF! Thanks for pointing that out!

Sherlock913 likes this.
  8. 6Actual

6Actual Southern Backwater Mafia & President-Elect

Steel sights, Ammo, TRAINING
    should be good to go, did I mention training?

Sherlock913, GlockyQ and HardRice like this.
  9. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

For the bare minimum, just extra mags and ammo. Maybe a good gun safe too, if you have young kids.

Sherlock913 and redrick like this.
  10. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

Congrats on your new G19.
    AmeriGlo sights, at least two more magazines and a good holster. Additional training would always be desirable whether you are a newbie or an experienced shooter.

K. Foster likes this.
  11. reniram

reniram

Congratulations on your new Glock and welcome to GT. There have been urban legends about how difficult Glocks are to buy in MA but clearly the gen 5 is available there so either things have changed or the legends are just that. How is your part of the state for getting an unrestricted carry permit?

12. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Leave it alone, go shoot it.

Sherlock913 and FullClip like this.
  13. Brett Vet

Brett Vet

As others have said, ammo and magazines.

You see a lot of people posting about their “defective” brand new Glocks, and upon further investigation they admit they got it home from the store and stuffed it full of aftermarket parts.

shoot it for a while, and then if you decide you need to change parts, replace them one at a time so if something changes you know what the root cause is.

K. Foster likes this.
  14. darkenfast

darkenfast

KathySue, whether you are coming to Glock from other firearms or from scratch, the Glock trigger is something that needs to be learned (especially if you want to be really accurate). A regular dry-fire practice regime (a little a day is better than a lot once in a while), will pay off and won't cost anything! I agree with what has been posted above: wait until you are a better shooter than the gun before blowing money on components.

K31Scout likes this.
  15. GlockDiving

GlockDiving

Besides ammo and mags, I'd recommend signing up for some pistol classes in your area. Since you have MOS, might as well get the red dot sight. And if you'll be using it for home defense, I'd suggest getting a light for it. The Olight PL-MINI 2 Valkyrie is a pretty good option, not too expensive and very bright for indoor use.

Gfive45 likes this.
  16. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Take shooting lessons from a local USPSA GM/M or IDPA Master. Get the fundamentals under your belt: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Then transiitions and movement. Maybe some better sights, TTI, Dawson or Heines.

17. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

The only "Upgrade" a Glock needs is to the sights. But whatever you do, don't mess with the trigger. The standard Glock factory trigger is the right balance between ease of trigger pull and safety. The Glock has about a 5 pound trigger pull. that's just right for a gun that doesn't have a thumb safety.

The Glock has what are called "passive safeties" but so does a single action 1911 but you wouldn't carry a 1911 cocked and ready to fire with only a 3 or 4 pound trigger with the safety off. The NYPD requested a modification from Glock to their guns to duplicate the heavy trigger pull of a revolver to make their guns "Extra Safe" but it also made the guns harder to shoot accurately.

A double action revolver is safe to carry without a safety because it has a 9 pound trigger but it's harder to learn to shoot a revolver double action than it is to learn to shoot a Glock with only a 5 pound trigger.

Learn to shoot you Glock the way it is before you even think about any so-called "upgrades".

I've been shooting Glocks for about 20 years now and I've been carrying and shooting guns for 50 years. I started out with Double action revolvers and then switched to a 1911 Colt lightweight Commander and then switched to a Glock 23 in 40 caliber which is the same size as Glock 19.

My Glock 23 is lighter weight than my 1911 Colt commander but has similar ballistic performance and holds more ammo than either the 1911 or the revolver. The Glock 19 is an excellent choice for a first gun if you practice with it, become familiar with it, and learn how to use it.

18. MintyS

MintyS

Get a holster.
    Get some snap caps, a-zoom is great.
    Get some extra mags. Standard Glock mags.
    Get a laser bullet (and a maybe reset trigger) so you can dry fire with things like dryfireonline.com or shootoff. Get a cheap projector. Or get a laser pet.
    Get a cool range bag.
    Get a cleaning mat.
    Get a cool electronic ear protection, Howard, Peltor or MSA.
    Get some tactical gloves.
    Shoot a lot.
    Get a black T-shirt that says "Perfection".
    Get a red dot.
    Go to GSSF matches.
    Get a second Glock, then a third one.

Then you will know what upgrades you need.

Simi_gun_guy, ShipWreck and K31Scout like this.
  19. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

The only recomendation I would make is shoot it, the trigger will get better, smoother. I honeslty find a stock Glock is just fine.

Sherlock913 likes this.
  20. K31Scout

K31Scout

Bare minimum upgrade for all my handguns is Talon grip tape, granular. I've thought about sights but out to 25 yards the stock plastic are fine for me. A light that attaches to the rail is great if you actually want to see what your shooting at night.

I agree with those that say shoot it and decide down the road if you "need" anything else. Oh, get a Kydex holster.