Recommended Reading for CCWers

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by MAG40 Student, Sep 22, 2018.

1. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student Silver Member

A few days ago, over in the GATE Self-Defense Forum, GlockyQ asked Mas Ayoob, "What books and other reading materials would you recommend to update on various aspects of lethal encounter (e.g., legal, psychological, etc.) we discussed in L[ethal] F[orce] I[nstitute]-I?

Here is Mas' reply:

First, understand you can fill a small library with relevant texts. Second, understand that as soon as I finish writing this, I will realize I've left someone out.

That said:

I would suggest your library include, in alphabetical order, Dr. Alexis Arwohl (and her co-author Loren Christenson); Col. Charles Askins, Jr.; Chris Bird; Andrew Branca; Jim Cirillo; Col. Jeff Cooper; John Farnam; Jim Fleming; Tom Givens; Rich Grassi; John Hall (and his co-author Urey Patrick); Gila Hayes; Michael Izumi; Tiger McKee; Rory Miller; Ken Murray; and Ed Nowicki.

The above should give you a good start. Authors rather than books listed, because some have several. Google and Amazon should get you to 'em.

Ya know, bro, your question would be an excellent "starter thread" in Carry Issues here.

best,

Mas

I noticed GlockyQ hasn't made it over here yet to start that thread, but it was an excellent suggestion. I'd be very interested to hear what fellow GT-ers have read on the subject and would recommend to others. FWIW, below, alphabetical by author, is what I've read to date:
    • Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self-Defense by Massad Ayoob
    • In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection by Massad Ayoob
    • The Ayoob Files: The Book by Massad Ayoob
    • Straight Talk on Armed Defense: What the Experts Want You to Know edited by Massad Ayoob
    • Thank God I Had a Gun: True Accounts of Self Defense (2nd Edition) by Chris Bird
    • Alvarez by Roy Black
    • The Man Who Shot Osama Bin Laden is Screwed by Phil Bronstein
    • Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights by Jim Cirillo
    • Principles of Personal Defense by Col. Jeff Cooper
    • Gray’s Anatomy by Henry Gray
    • The Tueller Drill Revisited by Gila Hayes
    • Marine Sniper (The Life of Carlos Hathcock) by Charles Henderson
    • There is No Second Place Winner by William Henry “Bill” Jordan
    • Jim Cirillo’s Tales of the Stakeout Squad by Paul Kirchner
    • On Death and Dying by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
    • The Dangers of Intervention by Evan Marshall
    • Will it Hurt Me in Court? by Dr. Glenn Meyer
    • How Close is Too Close? by Dennis Tueller
    • Lessons from Armed America by Mark Walters and Kathy Jackson
    • Lessons from Unarmed America by Mark Walters and Rob Pincus
    What additional reading would you recommend to your fellow CCWers?

GlockyQ likes this.
  2. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

I’d start with your states laws on the matter.

Aslan, NoStress, Bruce M and 3 others like this.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That would be a better choice than all of the others combined, but nobody ever reads them.

I have read a book or two by Charles Askins, "When asked for an official body count, the Colonel replied, 'Twenty-seven, not counting [blacks] and Mexicans.'" Keep in mind he worked for the Border Patrol, so not counting Mexicans could be a pretty significant number. Most of his gunfight stories I can think of involved shooting Mexicans.

Bruce M likes this.
  4. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

attending class awhile back was handed a copy of the referred to commentary by evan marshall titled "the dangers of intervention" that i make an effort to re-read ever so often. this is a good starting point easily found in a search and takes all of a few minutes to get through.

Badge168 likes this.
  5. kwo

kwo

Can't ever get enough ! Thanks Mass. Would like to see updates in gun mags on self defense shootings . Not just the reason but the end results by state. Are we loosing ground or gaining on self defense?

6. marks_a_lot

marks_a_lot

The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca. He also has some state specific DVD's that are great. Well worth the money if he has one for your state.

GlockyQ likes this.
  7. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

not all books on the subject are going to be conceptual but I think that introductory material should be to a large extent.

I always suggest books that focus on the mind and actions of the criminal.. I don't think you can develop a well rounded plan if you only know yourself.

A couple of good ones that I recall:

Facing violence
    meditations on violence
    training for sudden violence

The book of five rings

GlockyQ and NoStress like this.
  8. dubito

dubito

I received my copy of Andrew Branca's _The Law of Self-Defense_ during my attending his two-day class in which he covered self-defense law in North Carolina. His class supplemented the use of force principles covered in my NC police training.

9. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

10. oldmick

oldmick

I'd also recommend:

On Combat
    and
    On Killing

both by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

professor kv likes this.
  11. LoneGenius

LoneGenius

"In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob should be in every gun owner's library if they keep a gun for self defense.

"Street Survival" by Calibre Press is good for giving one a basis on tactics, even if written for LEO's in the 1970's or 1980's as part of the Officer Survival Movement.

Those two books can form the nucleus of understanding that is a good foundation to build upon.

GlockyQ and Gary Slider like this.
  12. LoneGenius

LoneGenius

13. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student Silver Member

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Reading laws of your state. I tried to do that every 5 yrs. started (trying) when taking "MN Criminal law and Procedures". I haven't for decades now.
    MN did get a carry booklet that has some basic info. Get 5 lawyers from your state that have studied your state laws get 3 opinions on most things. (Other then clear cut cases)

A simple, basic rule is. IF using deadly force is the ONLY option to save your life from a situation that you did not knowingly start, escalate....
    You might have started situation, but once it goes off rails you MUST walk away, attempt to deesculate...
    that's where it gets interesting. Saying "watch where you are going" to car that hit your car is likely ok.(if person comes out with weapon...) Swearing, threats... Likely Not.

Always be more polite when carrying. Yrs back there were days I wish I was not carrying. As person deserved at least a chewing out. Not a thought anymore.

xTerpx likes this.
  15. sourdough44

sourdough44

We read at times about an event that goes sideways for the CC holder. A gun may be displayed when it isn’t called for, or one may be more confrontational because they are carrying. Some people have a mind that’s caged a little different.

One thing I rate high on the list is strong situational awareness, and controlling environmental factors ahead of time. I realize one can’t stay ahead(and away) from every threat. Even with a 98%(or 100) ‘good shoot’ one’s life can change dramatically.

If and when it does get to that ‘better judged by 12 than carried by 6’ moment, then it’s time to act. Just saying, acting as a private citizen, the potential to be left hanging is there.

16. Orive 8

Orive 8

I have a pretty good collection of books & DVD that I have compiled over the last 30+ years, in addition to some of the ones mentioned already; I'll add these:
    Handgun Combatives by Dave Spaulding
    The Combative Perspective by Gabe Suarez
    Tactical Reality by Louis Awerbuck
    The Defensive Shotgun by Louis Awerbuck
    The Modern Technique of the Pistol by Gregory Boyce Morrison
    The Art of Modern Gunfighting by Scott Reitz
    Handgun Training - Practice Drills for Defensive Shooting by Grant Cunningham

I always recommend Mas Ayoobs "In the Greatest Extreme" to everyone that is starting their concealed carry journey.

17. Spartan24

Spartan24

“The Gift of Fear” by Gavin DeBecker. His views on guns are off, but his look into the psychology of violence is eye opening.

“Little Black Book of Violence.” Great book. A lot more on the psychology and science of violence. Middle part was worth skipping, but beginning and end are worth it.

18. hogarth

hogarth

19. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

I started with Ayoob's little book, "In the Gravest Extreme," way back in 1984. Also a follow-on book of his on self-protection. Went out and bought a LEO-surplus Colt Detective Special, and that started my self-defense education and strategy. (I still have all three, btw...)

The other books for the most part have been added to the libray, and absorbed, as well...

20. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

Here are what I can find at home so far:

*Bullseyes Don’t Shoot Back: The Complete Textbook of Point Shooting for Close Quarters Combat by Rex Applegate and Michael D. Janich
    *Armed Defense: What the Experts Want You To Know Edited by Massad F. Ayoob
    *The Ayoob Files: The Book by Massad F. Ayoob
    *Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self Defense by Massad F. Ayoob
    *In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection by Massad F. Ayoob
    *The Semiautomatic Pistol in Police Service and Self-Defense by Massad F. Ayoob
    *StressFire: The Volume I of Gunfighting for Police by Massad F. Ayoob
    *The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca
    *Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights by Jim Cirillo
    *Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques by Vincent J.M. Di Maio
    *Armed: The Essential Guide To Concealed Carry by Bruce N. Eimer
    *Combat Focus Shooting by Rob Pincus
    *The Combative Perspective by Gabe Suarez

I think I’ve got a few more books in my office book shelf... But as you can see, I need to update my library. That’s the main reason for my question to Mas in GATE Self-Defense forum.