Recommended mouse gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Quickling, Oct 12, 2020.

1. TheDud

TheDud

a .22 should kill mice without making too much of a mess.

2. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

My Kel-Tec P32 has been money for 15 years. I prefer to use it as a backup, but it is a capable tool for breaking contact. Fluff and buff is necessary, but is a very simple and well described procedure. I prefer Sellier and Bellot FMJ for ammunition. It is the correct length for avoiding rimlock and penetrates more acceptably than hollow points (which may or may not expand). In the bargain, S&B loads their ammo hotter than most. The trigger is pretty good, recoil is negligible, and the small sights work out to 10-12 yards (but they are a little hard to pick up). I like horsehide pocket holsters like the El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max or sticky holsters like the Remora (depending on how I carry). I carry a spare magazine in an old multi tool belt pouch with a closed cell foam spacer in the bottom.

64DFECCD-8144-4637-8516-EE390C8A0697.jpeg
    My G32 is also pictured to give an idea of size.

Doc Holliday likes this.

3. Quickling

Quickling

While visiting family, we were able to find a store with a fair number of smaller guns. They were awesome and let her handle every gun in the cabinet.

After shooting in club matches, she has started to have her own preferences for sights... and all guns with crummy sights went right out the window. In the end she settled on a s&w bodyguard 380 because she liked its sights the best. Price was good and they had a little ammo set aside for purchasing customers.

I doubt it will displace her G26 in the winter, but I am glad she found a smaller gun so that she can always stay armed when her primary is too big.

Glock40man, GlockFan7 and -JCN- like this.
  4. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

LCP II .22LR

5. jgilbo17

jgilbo17

ive been carrying a keltec P3AT for 4 years now and love it, goes bang every time and soo small i forget its on me half the time

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

6. GeorgieBoy

GeorgieBoy

The Beretta 950 and 21 have been mentioned a half dozen times already but I’ll add that my 5’2” Texan wife took fierce possession of “our” 950B years ago and has declined any offered substitute... .25cal centerfire, tip up barrel, and all. Her contingency plan is 6 to 9 shots as fast as she can pull the trigger. She will not budge and I do not want those shots “aimed” at me. :)

7. Lola1

Lola1

We have a G42, a sw .380 body guard and a ruger LCPII. Imthink they weigh 14, 12 and 10 oz respectively. My wife has used all three as her running gun. 42 is the largest and heaviest but with my medium hands i think better/ easier to shoot. Its more of a “ real” gun in terms of size. Very similar in size to the G43. Once in a while i will put the BG in a pocket using the soft holster the ruger came with. The SW has a safety. The other two do not. The SW has decent sights, and is double action with a long trigger stroke, Which i feel makes it safer for pocket cary. And that gives it re strike capability. The ruger and the glock Also have decent sights. We replaced the glock’s with glock brand night sights. But i think you can also put a very brightly colored fluorescent tube on the front sight as i did with the G43 making the front sight pop. You can do it yourself with a simple and inexpensive tool. The ruger and sw have been 100% reliable; the glock went back to the factory when new; it either did not like my wife or the ammo but there were failure to feed snd eject issues. When remington revised its golden saber 102 gr. to black belt i loaded up on the old golden saber and that’s what we use. There are better and worse loads, but the GS are nicely rounded and feed well, and at 102 grs. are heavy for a .380. The glock and ruger i would only pocket carry with a rigid holster. Among some, i like the BORII for the glock. Its minimalist. My $.02.

8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

Both the 380 and the 32 ACP have the same problem. They're underpowered and ar limited to FMJ ammo because neither one has the power to make a projectile both expand AND penetrate.

If the bullet expands, that reduces penetration so you're better off using FMJ's for defense. There is one exception to that with the 380 and that is with the Underwood Plus+P 90 grain XTP's but the only gun that can safely handle that ammo without reliability, durability, and controlability issues is the Glock 42 which is also the smallest gun I can carry in my pocket and still have room for my hands to be able to access the gun.

The Keltec 32 ACP is a very small gun and a far better choice than any 22 caliber gun. Both the 22 LR and the 22 magnum lose a lot of power out of a short barrel and the 32 is a much better choice and the Keltec holds 8 rounds and is smaller an lighter than many 22's with the exception of the NAA's which hold only 5 rounds and have to have the hammer cocked for each shot.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

I have not held or shot many of the guns mentioned here, but I carry and am happy with the Kel-Tec P-32 and Geco FMJ ammo.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

The Beretta 21A is very big for a little gun.
    The Beretta 950 is very flat and thin.

I now have a recent manufacture Colt Mustang Pocketlite that has been reliable and accurate for the 200 rounds of mixed .380 I've put through it. It hides and rides nicely. As an old time cop once told me about the first Mustang I bought, "You can never have too many of these."

My Seecamp and .32 Guardian fit in a watch pocket for when I have to dress up, but are heavy in comparison to other similar guns. In my experience the Guardian is more reliable with all types of ammo. The Seecamp does not like the new type Silvertips.

11. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Ruger LCP II .22 lr. I got one at a pawn shop for $250, tax inc. Didn't work right (safety came one after each shot.) Called Ruger and they sent a shipping label (didn't matter if it was a pawn shop find to them.) They fixed it and shipped it back. Zero charges.

Gun runs and runs now. Remington 'Golden' bullets it loves. Most importantly it shoots just maybe 1 inch to the left at 20 yards (I am NOT KIDDING.) Fantastic little gun. On the range I show off by hitting empty cartridge boxes at 20 yards shoot two handed on the range. And just for fun at 100 yards (yes ONE HUNDRED yards) I show off by shooting at clumps of dirt between the target stands at the local range. Even now and then hit the clumps!

I actually plan to use this as a survival gun while hiking (to pot rabbits and such.) It is that accurate. And with the Remingtons.. 10 mags strait and no jams.

12. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

Another vote for the lcp.

13. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

By definition, mouse guns are not range toys - the intended purpose makes sights irrelevant. If you can’t hit minute of man at five feet by instinct targeting, sights are not gonna help. KelTec P3AT or Ruger LCP. Then move on.

14. Fearless40

Fearless40 Secret Squirrel

Another vote for the LCP. I've had two different ones. Sold the first one to a friend who really wanted it and instantly regretted it. Both fired flawlessly. I've had the second one for years and it still has been 100% reliable.

Thats probably the smallest thing I would want to carry.

15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Sorry, the Sig P365 is NOT a 'pocket pistol/mouse gun'. Not even close.

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

In most civilian self defense situations, sights are not used, on any caliber gun. It's gonna be fast, up close and personal when it goes down. All that slow plinking practice at a distance is not going to help at all. Should be shooting targets at 5' with a fast draw and point/shoot. Forget the sights.

17. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Another vote for Sig P238.

The sights are big and bright. Very easy to rack. Mild and pleasant recoil. Could shoot it all afternoon. Easy to hit the target at 15 yards. Has never malfunctioned on me. All-metal. Nice jewelry-like quality machinework.

Crazy expensive, but they have a base model I found new for only 395 during the current panic.

18. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Wait a minute. She’s a competitive shooter?

She should be giving me advice.

19. Fearless40

Fearless40 Secret Squirrel

Not a mouse gun but I was surprised how well the P365 SAS rides in and draws from a pocket. Even in shorts that I didn't expect it to work with. The SAS doesn't have much in the sights department but like you also said, sights may not be used.

20. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

In shorts? Isn't that a bit heavy?

upload_2020-11-1_17-1-12.png