close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommended after market barrels for Glock 29 ???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DHart, Mar 16, 2006.

1. DHart

DHart

Tomorrow I will buy my first Glock (finally - after years of thinking about it!)... this decision being brought about from my joy in owning and shooting my Delta Elite and my Razorback... 10mm has become a huge favorite for me now!

Anyway, I shoot a lot of 10mm reloads and I get the impression I might be best off getting an aftermarket barrel with better case support than the stock 29 barrel has, if I want to shoot a lot of reloads or hot loads.

SO... what are the choices in aftermarket barrels for the Glock 29 (same length as stock barrel) and what seems to be the most reliable choice which offers good case support?

2. Boston_Irish

Boston_Irish

I have a kkm precision that I got from lone wolfe dist. The barrel has great case support and lone wolfe was FAST in their shipping. The barrel dropped right in with no fuss or special fitting.
    Good luck!
    Happy St. Pats!;c

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Ditto the KKM, although I got mine straight from the source.

Be forewarned that any brass you shoot through the stock barrel should be segregated so it doesnt cause you problem in the other barrels. I didnt know to keep mine segregated so I had to full length resize my whole stock after I switched barrels.

4. DHart

DHart

Sounds good, looks like KKM it is, I can't find any other maker which offers an aftermarket barrel for the 29.

Wulf.... would using the Lee Factory Crimp Die (which sizes down to the base of the case) during reloading allow one to freely intermix reloaded brass between a Glock and, say, a Razorback or Delta? Or should I still keep the brass from the factory Glock barrel separate from all others?

5. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I tried that. The lee die helped. It sized down further than the dillon sizing die and that brought the failure rate down but not to zero. Eventually what I did was take out the guts of the lee die and used a long brass bolt to force all the brass through the lee die backwards. This fixed all the brass that had been throught the stock barrel. Of course....each barrel is a story unto itself... you may find that the dimensions between your stock and aftermarket barrels are sufficiently close that it will work... That just wasnt my story.

6. DHart

DHart

Wulf... do you find that when shooting more moderate 10mm loads there is so little case head expansion that it isn't a problem? In other words, was the case head expansion in the loose Glock chamber only an issue with the very warm to hot loads?

7. Boston_Irish

Boston_Irish

"the sportsmans guide" has no name barrels for the G29 for $60. Someone said that Federal was the maker. I might pick one up to shoot lead. They also had a .357 conversion barrel.
    Let me know how it works out if you get one.

8. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I never noticed a difference, but I never looked and I very rarely load unusually hot or light loads.

9. DHart

DHart

Wulf... So you had noteworthy case head expansion with the stock Glock barrel even with moderate loads... to the point that the brass wouldn't reliably chamber in guns with tighter chambers than you Glock has. Right?

10. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Yeah, that's basically it. Here's the full story.

I bought the 29 and shot a thousand rounds or so through the stock barrel. Once I started shooting the once fired brass I figured it was prudent to do so in a chamber w/ more support. So I bought a KKM. I reloaded a bunch of rounds but was having persistent failures to go into battery; 1 or 2 times per mag IIRC. But the gun was fully reliable with factory ammo. I happened to be near KKM's shop so I went buy, the owner tweeked the fit of my barrel a little and sent me out to an area near the shop to fire a few rounds... The problem was a little better, but still I was having problems. I thought the problem was the profile of the bullets I was using but he mic'd the braass and realized it was the bulge. So I went home and pushed all my brass backwards through the lee die and havent had any trouble since. Some people dont trust their aftermarket barrels for carry and training, but mine's been fully reliable since I got my brass fixed. I've shot many thousands of reloads in competetion and a 4 day class with the KKM and had zero problems....well...at least no problems with the gun. ;)

FWIW the gun is fabulously accurate with the KKM and the GA gold dots I load it with for carry. I was playing around after a 3 gun match and got 1st round hits on a full size popper at 100 yards and was scaring the iron filings out of the flash targets at 200. At 100 you dont really need any holdover on popper or COM sized targets.

11. DHart

DHart

I was just thinking about using the KKM barrel exclusively in the G29, after verifying that it'll gobble up a few hundred rounds without any failures. I pick up my new G29 on Tuesday and should have my new KKM barrel for it by Wednesday, so I could conceivably install the KKM from the get-go and leave it in the gun for good. Not that the Glock barrel is bad or unreliable, but if I can get better case support AND maintain reliability, why the heck not?

12. Jefs

Jefs CLM

Before I got my KKM barrel I had a difficult time getting the slide off when field stripping the G29 for cleaning (another guy at 10mmtalk.com reported having the same problem with his G29).I'd have to turn it upside down and give several sharp whacks against the top of a chair to loosen things up before I could get the slide off. Then I got a KKM and now it field strips effortlessly like all my other glocks, so for that reason alone the KKM has been good for me.

13. DHart

DHart

Got the 29 with factory night sights, popped in a KKM 10mm barrel, LWD 3.5# connector and Ultimate Trigger stop, put Pearce extensions for pinky on the mags. Tossed the factory Glock barrel in a drawer - never fired with it. Last couple of nights I fired upwards of 100 rounds through the gun with flawless reliability and remarkable accuracy. This is an awesome brute of a gun! The KKM barrel/chamber kept the fired brass at about .425" - very nice, quite reloadable. The gun will remain as set-up permanently.

Brand spankin' new Glock 29 barrel - unfired except at the factory - for sale $125.

14. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Glad its worked out for you.