Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basic Ruger Deluxe Sporter and because of poor vision, i am interested in scoping it for use in Appleseed shoots. Any recommendations?

P.S. I've shot with iron sights and red dots but never with a telescopic sight so any info will be useful - especially on sighting in the scope.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would suggest a 4x scope - or possibly a 3-9x (keep it on 3x). There are plenty of suitable scopes like this on the market at every price point.

You want magnification, but like everything else in life, moderation is the key.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I second the recommendation for a 4x scope or 3-9x scope kept on 3x. I have a 3-9x on a 10/22 and the scope stays on 3x. I have a Marlin 981TS that has a 4x scope. The lower power gives you a wider field of view and better enables target acquisition in my book. Also, the higher the power the harder it is to hold a steady sight picture off-hand. I used to prefer iron sights for .22s but my eyes just need more assistance these days. From what I understand about Appleseed shoots (I would like to do one some day) you don't need high magnification. There are lots of choices out there at all price points-- choose wisely my friend.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

I'll give both types of scopes consideration. From what I have learned, the 4X generally has a 32mm objective lens which will work with low mount rings.

ratf51, with the 3-9X40 scope do you use the low mount rings or the medium mount rings?

Not having experience with scopes makes it difficult for me to know which ring height works best with the 40mm objective lens. The high mount rings will work but they may make the scope sit too high on the rifle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks, guys.

I'll give both types of scopes consideration. From what I have learned, the 4X generally has a 32mm objective lens which will work with low mount rings.

ratf51, with the 3-9X40 scope do you use the low mount rings or the medium mount rings?

Not having experience with scopes makes it difficult for me to know which ring height works best with the 40mm objective lens. The high mount rings will work but they may make the scope sit too high on the rifle.
Get the medium if you know they work.

Also to consider, if price is equal on a 4x and a 3-9x, then get the 3-9x. You can use the 9x to look for hits and misses, and it is more than capable of being used in other endeavors (ie - hunting) as well.

·
Huge Member
11,313 Posts

·
Registered
56,041 Posts
I'll throw in another option which I think is a pretty good value -- a factory-refurb Nikon Prostaff 4x32 "Rimfire Classic" scope:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK6305BR

The clarity on the scope is excellent, and don't be scared off by the "Refurbished" tag. Other than coming in a plain white box labeled "Factory Refurbished," you'd never know it wasn't new. It comes with all the standard accessories (rimfire scope ring, lens caps, documentation).

I put one on my T/C Contender with 14" SS match barrel, and am quite satisfied... :)

·
Huge Member
11,313 Posts
I'll throw in another option which I think is a pretty good value -- a factory-refurb Nikon Prostaff 4x32 "Rimfire Classic" scope:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK6305BR

The clarity on the scope is excellent, and don't be scared off by the "Refurbished" tag. Other than coming in a plain white box labeled "Factory Refurbished," you'd never know it wasn't new. It comes with all the standard accessories (rimfire scope ring, lens caps, documentation).

I put one on my T/C Contender with 14" SS match barrel, and am quite satisfied... :)

Thanks for the tip. They have a whole variety of refurbs at great prices. The Nikon 2-7x 32mm @$89 is a steal.

·
Registered
56,041 Posts
Thanks for the tip. They have a whole variety of refurbs at great prices. The Nikon 2-7x 32mm @$89 is a steal.
My pleasure... :)

FWIW -- I also bought a pair of factory refurbished Nikon binoculars over a decade ago. Again, they showed up looking brand spankin' new, and are providing excellent service to this day.

·
Huge Member
11,313 Posts
I thought the point of Appleseed shoots was to use iron sights? I may be mistaken but, that is what I got from their literature.
It is not a competition. The point is to teach marksmanship. Us old guys with old eyes can't see the front sight anymore so they make allowances for scopes.

·
Huge Member
11,313 Posts
Just a heads up. Cabela's has a new Nikon 2-7x32 on sale for $94.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Thanks, guys.

Wow, been a while since I checked this thread. My 3-9x has a 32mm objective, I think I have the low rings for it, but then the weaver rail mount I have is a bit higher. As for a 40mm objective I would think medium height rings would be needed. The scope you purchase may provide the info about ring height.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts