close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommendations for GSSF Competition

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by JonInWA, Apr 6, 2004.

1. JonInWA

JonInWA

Long time lurker, new forum member. I've previously had a 2nd Generation G23 and a G27. I am interested in getting back to Glocks, particularly in the GSSF venue. I'd be competing in the Amateur Civilian category, and possibly the Competition category. The Glocks I'm tentatively considering are the G17 or G19 in 9mm, and the G21 and G37 in .45/.45GAP. I'm interested in getting feedback regarding which one you'd recommend; at this point in time, my preferences are, in rank order:

1. G19-due to size and ability to conveniently carry as well
    as use for competition;

2. G17-due to lengthened sight picture inherent to longer
    slide, and longer grip, possibly more comfortable/more
    effectively grasped than G19;

3. G21-due to its reputation for accuracy, although I do have
    some concerns about the grip's girth; I have medium-sized
    hands; and

4. G37-I am intrigued by the chambering in .45 (GAP) with a
    thinner grip, but concerned about it being an unproven
    round and an unproven slide/frame configuration; also,
    at least for the time being, it looks like ammunition
    will be fairly/comparitively expensive.

I'm relatively open-minded to consider other Glocks other than those above, but I consciously eliminated the .40 and 100mm pistols, the sub-compacts, and the G30 and 36 (the G30 due to its short sight length, ditto for the G36, and the G36 is additionally eliminated due to both its limited ammunition capacity and its feel-for me, ht has too much of a flat, slab-sided feel which I suspect would lead to controllability problems. Thanks in advance-I'll be looking forward to your recommendations!

Best, Jon

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Since you are just starting in GSSF I can only assume that you do not reload. Based on your situation you described and the gun selection you mentioned I would say go with either the 17/19 whichever you can shoot the most accurately. The 17 is probably the most popular GSSF stock gun around and has served all who have shot them well. I know several of the Master Class shooters who when shooting a stock gun will usually choose the 17. Great shooter, economical to buy ammo and is capable of outshooting most shooters capabilities.

Of course any Glock will do the trick; afterall its the shooters ability that makes the difference. So I would also advise that you not do what serveral have done and go out and buy all the aftermarket gadgets thinking they will make your scores because: They will NOT. Plus many have installed aftermarket gadgets only to find that they are not legal in any of the stock Glock Classes. Be smart and spend that extra money in practice ammo and practice, practice, practice.^c

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

The list as you show them works. If you like the 19 and it fits your other needs, shoot it. I like the 17 myself as it does fit my hand better and the 9mm with the loads I use is a wonderful thing. The 21 is OK but there is the persistant problem of shoving 10 rounds in the mag and getting it in the gun with a round in the chamber. With factory ammo this might not be as big a problem. And like you said, the grip size is an issue for a lot of folks. The 37 should work and it has some fans as well. It also has the added bonus of being in a drawing at each match for a Glock. Check out www.gssfonline.com in the Glock Report.

Just pick the one you like and shoot it. Practice, more than caliber, is important. :)

4. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I agree with Fireglock except to add that all things being equal you should do best with the 17. Of course as you can see by many posts here all things are often not equal. Sometimes folks shoot the 19 better than the 17. I would say that should be the exception. Check it out YRMV.

5. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I started GSSF with a G17 and a set of CGR Custom Cut Bomars. Now I just use a G26. I shoot better with the G26 and cheap factory sights than I do with my G17 and Bomars.

My advice, use which ever gun that shoots the best for you!

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

My advice is to stick to 9mm and use whichever Glock you shoot best, be it the G17, G19 or G26.

You only have 6 shots at 25 yards and 18 shots at 20 yards. Everything else is at 5, 10, 11 and 15 yards, and the plan is to keep all shots in an 8 inch circle at a comfortable speed.;)